Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Cryotic Events, Fewer Gate Crashes

Vargras

I still feel like the Cryotic event has been the pinnacle for in-game events, and it's going to be a tough act to follow. It was quick and easy to do (and very painless to pug because of how straightforward it was), and most importantly, it was fun. You have people actually asking when Excavation is going to start showing up for other missions -- I've never seen that happen for any other gamemode's debut. Not with Survival. Not with Rescue 2.0. To top it all off, even though you introduced a new resource with that event, players were almost always able to get plenty of it during their missions, averting the mess that came with trying to farm oxium.

In comparison, every other event has just seemed slow and grindy. With Cryotic, if you were good, you could just start on Earth and skip Phobos entirely because of your score (and then proceed on to Europa). With Gate Crash, well, you have to do 15 runs. There's no way around that at all. That, and I kept running into people who would just shoot at the bosses without ever trying to hit the weakspot.

Something to keep in mind, I guess.

Well I disagree with that, I feel like gate crash has been the best event thus far, sure we have had to run 15 missions, but thoses 15 missions got harder and harder with every run. Anyone can run a mission with a fully tricked out frame and do well, thats why we have "Loki master race' this and 'Rhino master race" that. But this event made it so that it didn't matter what frame you were on, you were GOING to have a hard time. You actually had to earn your rewards this time. To me thats what an event should be. I personally had a ton of fun with the latest event, just thinking "So what will I do next, for now X power works, but in a few missions it wont." That kind of thing seems fun, and come on. 15 missions? Over the course of 6 days? Thats hardly a bother, you run more missions just grinding prime parts.

Also people shooting the boss without ever trying to hit their weakspot? If they go down, leave them. Natural selection tells us that if they cant figure out the glowy backpacks are not an obvious weak spot, then they deserve to use their revive.

Yeah this GateCrash event is a horrible case of grind and artificial difficulty via individual debuffs that only forces high-score players to depend on carries with low scores.

But note that GateCrash mission is fine on its own if you run it few times. The event setup is not.  

Excavation/Cryotic is a good endless game mode that requires player skill, teamplay and knowledge of the game to go far.  GateCrash - is mostly mindless grind (or just AFK while carry does all the work)

To quote gamedesigner Jonathan Blow about bad grind  "It doesn’t matter if you’re smart or how adept you are, it’s just how much time you sink in. You don’t need to do anything exceptional, you just need to run the treadmill like everyone else."  

Edited by Monolake

Well I disagree with that, I feel like gate crash has been the best event thus far, sure we have had to run 15 missions, but thoses 15 missions got harder and harder with every run. Anyone can run a mission with a fully tricked out frame and do well, thats why we have "Loki master race' this and 'Rhino master race" that. But this event made it so that it didn't matter what frame you were on, you were GOING to have a hard time. You actually had to earn your rewards this time. To me thats what an event should be. I personally had a ton of fun with the latest event, just thinking "So what will I do next, for now X power works, but in a few missions it wont." That kind of thing seems fun, and come on. 15 missions? Over the course of 6 days? Thats hardly a bother, you run more missions just grinding prime parts.

Also people shooting the boss without ever trying to hit their weakspot? If they go down, leave them. Natural selection tells us that if they cant figure out the glowy backpacks are not an obvious weak spot, then they deserve to use their revive.

why do you resent those with better frame/mod setups than yourself? of course a fully "tricked out" frame will do better, they sunk god-knows how many hours into them, to have an event that intentionally disregards all your hard work is an insult to high end players, some would say it was designed that way to alter who might win :^)

Excavation/Cryotic is a good endless game mode that requires player skill, teamplay and knowledge of the game to go far.  GateCrash - is mostly mindless grind (or just AFK while carry does all the work)

Honestly, that was the best thing about the Cryotic event. If your team kicked some serious tail, you could actually clear the event on Earth. And because it was the first node and you got less points for each excavation, it was actually harder. If you couldn't handle that and just made the minimum, you could just go to Phobos or Europa instead for another (and easier) shot at the score needed for the goodies.

It's a much better system than what they had in place for Gate Crash or Rescue 2.0.

Edited by Vargras