Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Weapons

Firefly223

I watched the Devstream, #38, and there was a question that piqued my interest; particularly about the "shoulder-mounted weapons" like a Bazooka, and I wondered about other heavy weapons, something like a Vulcan-cannon, minigun, etc. like a Grineer gattling gun. It could be a whole new class of weapon to solve the issue discussed on the stream, use up more than one weapon slot, therefore it would be the only weapon you could carry, maybe even slowing you down or use more stamina, but the firepower more than makes up for it. or maybe even have them as "disposable"  weapons in certain tiles, you find it, and use it until all the ammo is gone and get rid of it. I for one would love to use my Rhino with a huge minigun, turning Grineer battalions to mush with the awesome glory of a chain-gun type weapon. What are your thoughts?  

Here's the thing:

In order to enjoy a big bulky badass 100-rounds per second vulcan cannon thing, in order to get the full experience of using such a weapon, it would have to do a tiny amount of damage per bullet.

Why? Because if this kind of weapon did like 50 damage per shot like any other rifle, every battle would be over in the blink of an eye after modding it. You'd squeeze once for half a second and wipe out an entire army. It would be extremely unsatisfying, you'd never have a reason to sustain fire against anything because you'd just be wasting a S#&$ton of ammo.

At that point you might as well use one of the various OP guns we already have, that OHKO everything.

Now that we've established that it has to do very little damage per bullet in order for it to be satisfying to use, every player would start screaming that the gun sucks &#! because it only does 5 damage per bullet. And then all the stupid arguments would start, comparing apples to oranges, all that nonsense, because no one ever thinks their ideas through and just demands S#&$ be added to the game all willy nilly.

"or maybe even have them as "disposable"  weapons in certain tiles, you find it, and use it until all the ammo is gone and get rid of it"

That would be a great solution, mountable laser turrets for Corpus tiles and big gattling guns for Grineer.

I'm not really talking about shoulder mounted, that was just the inspirational thought, I'm talking about lugging this weapon around at the hip. Thank you DarkTails, I agree with your statement, I still would love to have one just for the sake of it, even if it didn't do much damage,I simply used Vulcan as an example of what I am talking about, but if it was a gattling gun it would have a slower rate of fire, about 30-40 Rounds/Second which would even out the damage/RoF issue people could complain about (although lets face it, people would still complain). Also I say "disposable" mounted guns because I see those lasers in the Orokin Void Defense tile, and I would much prefer having a mounted gun so I can keep the XP. instead of some contingency plan to "ACTIVATE THE LASORS!!" when things get rough and everyone loses XP, or some newbie thinks every time you get bum-rushed is the end of the world so he turns on those stupid lasers and kills half the team. 

The idea of breaking a mounted gun from your tileset suroundings is really cool but there is one thing that would be a major drawback from this idea. Where ever you grab this gun from I'm sure the original owners wouldn't make it to kill themselves. If it were in corpus maps it would do extra dmg to tenno and grineer but it owuld have little to no effect on corpus. Same with grineer. If there were defendable Tenno maps this would work but as far as I know there aren't any (saddly I've been away from the game for a couple months, my desktop died on me)

I'm not really talking about shoulder mounted, that was just the inspirational thought, I'm talking about lugging this weapon around at the hip. Thank you DarkTails, I agree with your statement, I still would love to have one just for the sake of it, even if it didn't do much damage,I simply used Vulcan as an example of what I am talking about, but if it was a gattling gun it would have a slower rate of fire, about 30-40 Rounds/Second which would even out the damage/RoF issue people could complain about (although lets face it, people would still complain). Also I say "disposable" mounted guns because I see those lasers in the Orokin Void Defense tile, and I would much prefer having a mounted gun so I can keep the XP. instead of some contingency plan to "ACTIVATE THE LASORS!!" when things get rough and everyone loses XP, or some newbie thinks every time you get bum-rushed is the end of the world so he turns on those stupid lasers and kills half the team. 

So kinda like in Halo, where there are mounted turrets with infinite ammo, but you can rip them off to run around with? That actually would be pretty cool on defense. Have the lotus come up and say something like "hold on Tenno, I'm sending in heavy weapons" then boom, turret drops down and Rhino jumps on and starts blasting. Then he rips it off and runs around laughing like the heavy while munching a sandwich...Holy S#&$ DE make this a thing!

Archwing weaponry will be using the minigun-style grip. Shoulder-mounted, or shoulder-resting weapons could work, but like that same devstream talked about: They would need to fold-up into a compact thing that could be carried.

You'd then need to decide what the weapon did. I'd personally want a big-brother to the Stug pistol - a corrosive goo hose, sort to speak.

"or maybe even have them as "disposable"  weapons in certain tiles, you find it, and use it until all the ammo is gone and get rid of it"

That was the Chaingun in 'Dark Sector' Unlimited bullets, but limited rockets. Too powerful for Warframe, but if it has limited chaingun ammo... maybe 1000 rounds?

You are also SLOWER THAN HELL while carrying it!

Edited by Kalenath