Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question On Rp And Narrative Technique

Lakitel

Hey everybody, I hope I haven't posted this here in error, but I wanted to ask a question to you experienced Role Players. I was thinking of creating a sort of IC 'diary' of myself and my actions in warframe. As an example, as a warlord I can start a solar rail conflict and parallel that that conflict and the decisions leading up to it in a personal journal.

The question I have is this: Would it be better for me to create a topic here and make each diary entry a new post, or create a blog or something like that where I would post each entry? Would creating a blog break the atmosphere too much or is it doable for the sake of the narrative style?

I want to point out that this won't really be a story that other people participate in, but rather a monologue exploring my interpretation and journey through Warframe.

You could very well make a closed thread here.

Technically if the content is good, it's not spam, but it runs a fine line. This is one of those 'individual case' type of deals. If a thread gets four posts a day, one after another and is only a paragraph long, then we may need to shut it down.

If you post it here, you will always run the risk of people replying. In a blog, you get to decide who posts. It's really down to you.

Blogs are the typical way, and provide good free advertisement.

I don't care so much about the advertisement, I'm just wondering about the reaction to that sort of thing in the RP world here. But if blogs are the typical way, then I think I'd much rather go that way.

You could very well make a closed thread here.

Technically if the content is good, it's not spam, but it runs a fine line. This is one of those 'individual case' type of deals. If a thread gets four posts a day, one after another and is only a paragraph long, then we may need to shut it down.

If you post it here, you will always run the risk of people replying. In a blog, you get to decide who posts. It's really down to you.

You pretty much hit the head on the nail here. I don't want to spam up the board here, plus I feel the ones here are more tailored towards on-going RP rather than an RP story seen from the perspective of on character. I think one problem I can see in posting a blog would be generating some kind of interest. I would essentially post the link once on the forums, but after that it would go down to the later pages as it were.

Maybe I could create a post here and a blog, and keep the blog for the majority of entries, and then have the one here for the major entries. As you said, I don't want to run the risk of other people reply, simply because, for now, its a one-character story. Although, I guess I could do a sort of hybrid where my posts are the entries, and then other people reply IC as a reaction to those entries.

I mean, I'm not stingy or anything, I haven't RPed in years, and I want to test my chops first before I get involved in interplay between characters. Also, I love this game and creating narrative content for it, so I don't know how well that would work in a non DM setting like a blog.

You could always post it in the Fan Zone section. For example, I had a story about a series of glimpses in the universe of Warframe, posted there: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/227123-the-martyr-updated-0904/

Granted, I forgot about it, but the Fan Zone section does seem to fit your needs.

Edited by Kamal965

You could always post it in the Fan Zone section. For example, I had a story about a series of glimpses in the universe of Warframe, posted there: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/227123-the-martyr-updated-0904/

Granted, I forgot about it, but the Fan Zone section does seem to fit your needs.

Thats a good point, I'll have to think about if it belongs there or here. Its in a bit of a grey area.

As long as it's done well, and you don't mind the occasional moron or confused newbie dropping a post in the middle of it, here's as good a place as any. You'd probably get a few readers.

Nah I don't mind so much, i guess I could tag it as a closed RP journal. Ultimately, i think I'll go with a forum entry and a blogpost, in case I ever want to expand the character/story later.

Thanks for the info guys :)