The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe Not Using Resources @ All...

Missile

Specs are:

Phenom 9750 x4 OC'd to 3,8 GHz (water cooling)

Sapphire Radeon Vapor-x 5770 1GB Oc'd from 800 core/1200 Ram to 1000 Core /1400 Ram

RAM 32 GB of Corsair 1600 MHZ ddr3

2 Corsair SSD 70 GB each

and regular 7600 RPM 1 TB Kingston HDD SATA 2

Now after using RadeonPro and Playclaw - Both of them display system usage - The gpu never goes above 40% usage and GPU ram usage never goes above ~500-560, and when more players join my game, the GPU usage NOT INCREASES, BUT DROPS to flat 10-20%. I had a thought that the % means resources left, and tested in Crysis 3, on medium to high settings everything ran smoothly and GPU usage was 90-99% like it's supposed to be when you are squishing juice from it, alsi CPU usage, never goes above 30-40%, im even holding minecraft server in background  which eats 4 GB of ram, and i think it eats more than warframe, (Nothing changes when server is on or of...)

Edited by Missile

Yeah i also discovered that the gpu and cpu usage is very low while running the game.. but the fps is not even high when that happens. when i have around 20 fps some times the gpu and cpu load are around 40% that's not how it is supposed to be. which means it can't be my hardware that causes the fps drops. i hope they decide to put more pressure on the hardware for us to get better fps.

I'm still guessing something that happens behind the curtains in the engine kinda suffocates the render thread. It almost feels as if a thread is always waiting and blocks further calculations/render requests, thus causing slowdowns and at the same time big under-utilization.

But I also understand that if this is true, it's a multi-threading issue and those buggers are a pain in the butt. Hang in there, it can only get better. Okay, granted it got worse for me with 7.8.0 but that's the way coding goes, especially coding a game engine.

One core gets the beat down while others chill.

Also as many have reported, I get a large FPS drop with online 4 player.

I run the game in 64bit with DX11 support on.

My system...

Intel Q9650 3GHz quad core

4GB DDR 2

Nvidia 570 GTX

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

cpu_zps45f2ee4f.jpg

Same. I have a slightly older i-950, 12 GB RAM, GTX 580 Superclock, Windows 7 64-bit.

The game isn't using available resources and totally choking out because of it. When I quit Warframe, I get error messages in Windows all the time, advising me to turn Aero off because system performance is so poor.

where are you guys looking at this gpu usage? 1~5% gpu usage doesn't even make sense. that's like for browsing internet. 

When you alt-tab to look at your gpu load % it will not tell you the right %. You have to monitor it real-time. 

Same. I have a slightly older i-950, 12 GB RAM, GTX 580 Superclock, Windows 7 64-bit.

The game isn't using available resources and totally choking out because of it. When I quit Warframe, I get error messages in Windows all the time, advising me to turn Aero off because system performance is so poor.

anyways this is exactly what i'm experiencing. my cpu is barely being used... I do not think there is any multicore rendering in the works here...

Edited by Takomancer

where are you guys looking at this gpu usage? 1~5% gpu usage doesn't even make sense. that's like for browsing internet. 

When you alt-tab to look at your gpu load % it will not tell you the right %. You have to monitor it real-time. 

anyways this is exactly what i'm experiencing. my cpu is barely being used... I do not think there is any multicore rendering in the works here...

As i Said, i never alt tabbed, i use Radeon Pro and PlayClaw which give me real time readings, not a rookie here... As one readings might be inaccurate so I use two programs to do the job. Any more rookie questions? :) Also all my friends also seem to have the same issue, even with i7, but im a freeloader and i tent not to host more than 2 player games, so far so good, expect few corpus missions... but overall Im disappointed that game isnt utilizing even 30% the hardware can offer. This problem was also common when World Of Tanks went out of beta, exactly same issue, not utilizing GPU, even now they have problems with ATI cards. 

Edited by Missile

As i Said, i never alt tabbed, i use Radeon Pro and PlayClaw which give me real time readings, not a rookie here... As one readings might be inaccurate so I use two programs to do the job. Any more rookie questions? :) Also all my friends also seem to have the same issue, even with i7, but im a freeloader and i tent not to host more than 2 player games, so far so good, expect few corpus missions... but overall Im disappointed that game isnt utilizing even 30% the hardware can offer. This problem was also common when World Of Tanks went out of beta, exactly same issue, not utilizing GPU, even now they have problems with ATI cards. 

that's very weird indeed. it seems that ATI cards aren't being utilized and at the same time the game does not want to use any other cores in CPU other than  core 0

I have an i7-920 running ~3.9ghz (12gb ram, gtx 660ti) and just did a few tests to see what the load looks like when running warframe... and it looks pretty consistent (4 cores + 4 hyperthreading).  Warframe uses Core 0, 2, 4, and 6... across these cores is split approximately 20% of total cpu usage (roughly 1.6 cores worth of usage between them) Core 0 runs around 60-75%, 2/4/6 run around 25-35% each so while it definitely seems to be utilizing multiple cores to some extent... it's definitely not hugely optimized, but let's face it if things are running okay these numbers shouldn't matter... it's when it slows down that it does.  I would love to figure out which maps slow things down consistently (maybe someone else can share theirs if they have any in particular) so I can try to run some more specific testing.

I also get 40-60% GPU usage, however this is likely due to adaptive v-sync so it doesn't concern me *too* much.  In the past I have definitely noticed slow downs when hosting, however I need to do more testing to see which maps it specifically happens on so I can get a more detailed look at the usage during that situation.  My testing today was both joining and hosting, however I noticed no lag in either circumstance.

Edited by plznohurtme

The problem is that during high action my FPS drops to 30 or so. I would expect fps drops if my gpu & or

cpu were under max load but they are not.

The game is using all 4 cpu cores just one way more then others.

Edited by Obscene

So, while in game I noticed that the only reason my menu run a 120 fps while the in game run at anywhere from 80-12, is because the Menu (choosing your planet and what not) actually uses nearly 100% of my GPU resources. 

In menu, it uses on average 96% of my GPU and about 50% of my CPU, in the last game I was in it uses about 60% max, and average was about 35%.

Specs:

Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 Ghz

8 GB DDR3 1600 

750 7200 RPM HDD (Boot Drive) 

60 Mushkin Chronos SATA 3 SDD (Game Drive)

AMD Radeon HD 6770 OC'ed to 925 Mhz Core clock, 1300 Mem.

Running game at 1680x1050, Max settings

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Upon further monitoring I've notice that CPU usage is completely stable at around 45-50%. It's the GPU that fluxuates. Often time I will have 0 usage of GPU, resulting in about 2-7 fps. I was wondering, perhaps it's not that the game isn't using the GPU, something else is holding it back and it doesn't need the GPU at those frame rates? Perhaps a large memory leak, or something of the sort.

Upon further monitoring I've notice that CPU usage is completely stable at around 45-50%.

Considering your hardware, and considering I and probably others are seeing the same, the game uses at most 2 cores and possibly gets bottlenecked there (2 cores at max, using 50% of total cpu power and any additional cores largely unused).

I report the same issue : my 8 cores AMD FX-8350 @ 4.20 Ghz runs Warframe on 1 core, 1/2 at max.

Warframe is btw not suited for AMD cpus with poor single core/theaded performances and I really suffer on some on-line mobile defense with a lot of grineers...

There is no need to bump this thread any longer. We are aware of the issue as there have been a number of threads regarding it. Once I have an update then I will be sure to let this subforum know about it.

Perhaps a sticky that people should read first letting them know which issues you guys are aware of should be posted and updated regularly.

Perhaps a sticky that people should read first letting them know which issues you guys are aware of should be posted and updated regularly.

This is a very good idea. We've recently started recording known issues in the new 'Hot Topics' subforum (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/forum/79-community-hot-topics/), however I will definitely look into something similar that is specific to performance.

Edited by DE_Dmitri