Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Frustrating Thing About Trying To Give Feedback To De...

[DE]Momaw

It'd be awesome to see a "This post was read by DE" or "This thread is being followed by a dev" kind of thing.

It would also be awesome to see a "This post was read by a Mod" or "This thread is being followed by a Mod" kind of thing.

Kinda like the email inbox system. Maybe Devs could use it to see what's gotten new posts since they've read, though with the speed of forums...

I like the idea of tracking posts by % upvotes. But how would you calculate such a percentage? Everyone who sees it vs everyone who upvotes? upvotes vs reports?

This isn't really the case. I've had a number of ideas that have hundreds of views, and 12 posts, all of which say "OMG FANTASTIC! YES!" And like 20 upvotes... and then they fall off the front page of the forums, never to be heard from again.

I'm going to try not to bruise your ego, so I'll just say that DE staff members need a little box next to threads that they can check when they've read a thread.

We could even make it look kewl like a closed eye when they haven't seen it, and an open eye when they have seen it. That way, they don't have to make an official statement, and players can feel at least more like they have been noticed by senpai.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to try not to bruise your ego, so I'll just say that DE staff members need a little box next to threads that they can check when they've read a thread.

We could even make it look kewl like a closed eye when they haven't seen it, and an open eye when they have seen it. That way, they don't have to make an official statement, and players can feel at least more like they have been noticed by senpai.

This could be automatic so the staff doesn't have do do anything.

I just had a crazy idea; DE loves their contests.

Weekly feedback contests.

Step 1 players post feedback ideas in the contest thread

Step 2 Devs go through thread for scope, viability, and gives DE control over the options presented in the next step

Step 3 Design council votes on what idea is most pressing

Step 4 DE makes it happen

Step 4.1 Redtext prepares something funny to say about it for the upcoming hot-fix when it is released

Step 5 game improved and cycles starts all over again.

This would be in addition to normal feedback.

Not really. I know for a fact that a lot of feedback (and bug reports for that matter) I have left may appear to have gone unnoticed but sure enough the very next hotfix that bug is squashed!

A good example was the Scindo (Prime) aerial melee not actually hitting anything; didn't see a single reply to my bug report about it but it got fixed right away.

TL;DR  - You can be sure they read your posts even if they don't reply.

The most annoying part is you never know...

that's the problem indeed

u assume that the community moderators have better than average insight into what the 'best' feedback is...

I do think that it's somewhat true that putting forward the moderators wouldn't be absolutely good but for one they don't have to be better than average, representing the average is good enough, and the second point is that if moderators were to do it, the point is essentially to not have something unofficial like bumping a thread when you're not sure if it's read or not but instead to have some people who can make sure to provide something that could seem small and easily overlooked, basically a more certain insurance for having what can/---/---/--- be read.

But I can't honestly suggest that, if they do bug report at least it's not that bad.

This isn't really the case. I've had a number of ideas that have hundreds of views, and 12 posts, all of which say "OMG FANTASTIC! YES!" And like 20 upvotes... and then they fall off the front page of the forums, never to be heard from again.

[i make a point of forwarding anything that's getting 100% positive feedback to the dev team directly, because it falls to the back. Many times, the response I get back is that it's the first they've heard of it.]

The main problem is that the forum promotes bad ideas by design. If you have a post that EVERYONE agrees with, it generally falls by the wayside, unless you have a lot of pretty pictures in it. A few people tell you that it's awesome, and the rest have nothing meaningful to add--they agree, and it seems pointless to spam such.

If you have a post that some/many people disagree with, they will tell you that they disagree, and why they disagree, and why you should listen to them, and if anyone agrees with you, they'll respond back, or you can respond back, and then they'll respond back, and then you can respond back, and you'll spend 4 weeks arguing and be a "hot topic" with your mediocre-to-bad idea, accumulating pages and perceived importance.

There is that too, I also often see some interesting things that just get a number of upvotes but will just get drowned back, and there were one interesting recent case where the thread got a simple normal start with an average number of upvotes and from my point view which would had a fair chance of going down.

OP more or less voluntary "bumped" his thread editing regularly his first post and on the long run it got a very good number of views and additional posts. And I was more or less like are we supposed to bump to make sure we'll get read properly just by simple members?

Additionally I want to remind that Steve expressely said -somewhere- that because of the big increase of the activity they have to rely on the popularity and upvote system which is... sort of mild. It actually got implied on the forum several times even before that actually.

For that, I do know for sure that they read a lot, but from a critical point of view when I hear what Scott answered when shotguns issues got brought out, or when they said they weren't aware about braton prime's regular threads (maybe a joke?), I more or less could tell that they don't necessarily get what they could need.

Now I can also tell that Scott is among the busy figureheads but if he is the balance guy he should get the info, and if he has a team then his team should get the info, or something along those lines, and I'm saying Scott here but I'm talking in a general way.

Edited by Mokkania