Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, I Discovered Something Rather Interesting...

Renegade343

Dude! Actually, wow. This is the most thought-stimulating thread I have read today.

As I had a moment of spare time (that's a lie, though) and I was interested in the problem (that's not a lie), I have thought a little bit about it and came up with a proof via induction.

http://imgur.com/iYcuTkc

So this relationship holds for all n in Z.

Yay for maths, which is prettier than the Orokin Void.

You forgot proving n = 1 is true. Without that, then assuming n = k is true is a rather big step. 

You forgot proving n = 1 is true. Without that, then assuming n = k is true is a rather big step. 

Last paragraph, I did mention monomes (n=1, although there is no reason we couldn't start with n=0). I did claim it is trivial, and I stand by my claim.

Last paragraph, I did mention monomes (n=1, although there is no reason we couldn't start with n=0). I did claim it is trivial, and I stand by my claim.

But you do prove it instead of stating that it is trivial.

And the start of the set Z+ depends on different systems (and sometimes people). Some people start with 0, while others start with 1 (and to be honest, more and more people [and systems] are recognising the start of Z+ as 1). 

But you do prove it instead of stating that it is trivial.

And the start of the set Z+ depends on different systems (and sometimes people). Some people start with 0, while others start with 1 (and to be honest, more and more people [and systems] are recognising the start of Z+ as 1). 

Trivial things should NEVER be proven if you are a physicist (as I am) or if you are very lazy (as I am as well).

However, as you have demonstrated in your first post, n = 0, n = 1 and n = 2 are true. So the demonstration is complete.

(Technically Z is not the set we are looking for. It is N, or N^0).

Trivial things should NEVER be proven if you are a physicist (as I am) or if you are very lazy (as I am as well).

Not really.

(Technically Z is not the set we are looking for. It is N, or N^0).

I did define n as the elements of Z+, for one thing (I know it works for n = 0 already, but since Z+ = {1, 2, 3, 4, ...}, that means we first prove n = 1 is true).