The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Space Looks Really Lively

Sunder

Recently saw the movie "Interstellar" (Amazing movie btw) and during the space scenes there was pretty much no stars visible. Just....nothing-ness. Blackness. A void. So I decided to look up the views from space as taken by Nasa and found the same result. Nothing-ness.

http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/space/earth/2805-space_earth_view__from_space_wallpaper.jpg

http://turntherightcorner.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/interstellar-2014-screenshot-saturn.jpg?w=1024

So why isn't our space the same way? Why can we see what looks likes other galaxies in the distance?

What do you guys think? Should we have an option available to switch to a "realistic" space? Only things to be seen are large masses that catch the suns shine?

I think that having space be a more realistic, black void would cause a lot of people to think Archwing missions have a super lazy background.

"Oh, I bet it took all of 5 seconds to take the fill bucket and go into paint to make this background."

Also, while it might be more realistic, I think that it might cause a lot of headaches for some people. For whatever reason, looking at those pictures gave me a claustrophobic feeling even though we all know that space is a pretty vast area. I guess that the white background from the website is a bit too stark of a contrast with the darkness of space, causing it to have a very much contained box-like feel (to explain my situation at least).

Finally, I think it fits in a bit with the sort of fantastic nature of the game. Lots of robots, space dudes, and space ships kind of bring the idea of a star-filled expanse with planets looming over us, y'know?

Edited by Otenko

I don't know...I think a black void would let them really accentuate the detailing of the planets and asteroids out in space.

You'd really look at the celestial bodies and have that sense of awe cause of how big they'd seem.

Surely an option like this wouldn't be hard to make right?

Remove space backdrop,

Keep the sun/planets

Keep the lighting (Fix planet glare)

Remove the wavy energy when flying with thrusters.

With the absence of so much visual they could focus on the few things that remain as well as the music to make fights in space seem more epic.

- - -

Also...another issue I have with Archwing.

Why do we have to keep using our thrusters to fly?

Newtons First Law

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force

Shouldn't I just need to tap my thrusters once to get the speed I want then simply steer?

Edited by Smac

Also...another issue I have with Archwing.

Why do we have to keep using our thrusters to fly?

Newtons First Law

An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force

Shouldn't I just need to tap my thrusters once to get the speed I want then simply steer?

Because rule of cool.

And you know, to stop in space you need uni-directional thrusters.

Archwing simply won't be possible since they thrust in 1 direction.

Eve-Online which is one of the grand daddies in SPESS MMOs also drop the idea of uni-directional thrusters because of rule of cool. 

Although they do have some inertia (hint not much).

Newtons First Law

Actually, you CAN do this. You can turn this on and off via sliding. Hold shift and then control and you keep your momentum, and are able to shoot in whatever way you want.

You can't see stars in those pictures because of the lightsource: the sun. It's too bright for most cameras too pick up any light from distant stars or galaxies.

But what do you see when you go to a place where there is little to no light polution?

Beautiful, beautiful space:
Milky%20Way%20in%20the%20Bush,%20Bundabe

Edited by ReizoRyuu

Actually, you CAN do this. You can turn this on and off via sliding. Hold shift and then control and you keep your momentum, and are able to shoot in whatever way you want.

This is treated like a normal slide even in Archwing. I just keep momentum for a few seconds then slow down till I come to a halt. Shame...

You can't see stars in those pictures because of the lightsource: the sun. It's too bright for most cameras too pick up any light from distant stars or galaxies.

But what do you see when you go to a place where there is little to no light polution?

Beautiful, beautiful space:

<snip>

After doing some reading up on this subject I found this which explains it pretty well

"You might wonder with all the stars shining, why is space black? The answer is that in space, sunlight or any kind of star light does not have anything from which to bounce off. We see color because light is reflected back to our eyes. Normally if an object can reflect back all light we see the color white. However when we see the different colors we know about it is because only one part of the visible spectrum of light is reflected back to our eyes and the rest is absorbed by the object we are absorbing.

On Earth this phenomenon is why the sky is blue and clouds are white. Each have their unique color because of how light is scattered and reflected by molecules in the air. This does not happen in space. Since space is a perfect vacuum the only thing that can travel through it without a medium is light. Light natural follows a strait path so if it is not reflected by objects like planets and natural satellites it simply “absorbed” by space. However, in this case absorbed means it is not reflected to our eyes.

This also explains why we can see nebulae which should be simply clumps of invisible gas in space. We can’t see the air in front of us, right? The reason for this is that in nebulae and galaxies the gases and dust do reflect the light of the stars near them. So this makes it possible for us to seem them. However if were to enter a nebula the gases would not be as visible as from far off.

In the end, space is black to our perception because there are few molecules of matter that can reflect or scatter light like our atmosphere on Earth."

Space is not not black void.

Depending on where you are and where you look at you could even see huge nebula and a lot of colorful things. Most pictures that show "no stars" are either light polluted or use cameras that can not deal with the overwhelming strength of our sun. If you were to fly through space like superman then you would be seeing all kinds of colorful things.

Edit: Here a timelapse of videomaterial taken from ISS....stars...you can clearly see them:

(If you look closely you can sometimes even see brighter clusters that are at least a tiny bit colorful..earth isn't really the best place to see nebulas....but you can still see stars and hints of colorful clusters)
Here is another set of Nasa images countering what you posted there:

PIA14417.jpg
PIA03678_ip.jpg

Edited by Shehriazad

Space is not not black void wherever you go. 

Depending on where you are and where you look at you could even see huge nebula and a lot of colorful things. Most pictures that show "no stars" are either light polluted or use cameras that can not deal witht he overwhelming strength of our sun. If you were to fly through space like superman then you would be seeing all kinds of colorful things.

Here is another Nasa image countering what you posted there:

<snip>

<snip>

Read what I posted above. Particularly...

"This also explains why we can see nebulae which should be simply clumps of invisible gas in space. We can’t see the air in front of us, right? The reason for this is that in nebulae and galaxies the gases and dust do reflect the light of the stars near them. So this makes it possible for us to seem them. However if were to enter a nebula the gases would not be as visible as from far off."

Most of the time it's a long exposure that lets us see the stars and such in the distance of space. Much like the two pictures you provided. As for the video, it's a timelapse. Again, long exposure. If you were in that satellite looking out a window, you wouldn't see those stars (Well...maybe some since it does seem kinda low and closer to earth)

And you're partly correct, depending on where we go in space we WOULD see some colorful nebulae and such. However in our Solar System? It's just not possible without the aid of special lens and cameras. Which sure...maybe the Tenno/Warframes can pick that up cause they're just THAT advanced. Same possibly goes for our dropship. But when flying in space, we're not looking through their eyes, we're in third person. Space SHOULD be just a black void of nothing-ness

Edited by Smac

Read what I posted above. Particularly...

"This also explains why we can see nebulae which should be simply clumps of invisible gas in space. We can’t see the air in front of us, right? The reason for this is that in nebulae and galaxies the gases and dust do reflect the light of the stars near them. So this makes it possible for us to seem them. However if were to enter a nebula the gases would not be as visible as from far off."

Most of the time it's a long exposure that lets us see the stars and such in the distance of space. Much like the two pictures you provided. And you're partly correct, depending on where we go in space we WOULD see some colorful nebulae and such. However in our Solar System? It's just not possible without the aid of special lens and cameras. Which sure...maybe the Tenno/Warframes can pick that up cause they're just THAT advanced. Same possibly goes for our dropship. But when flying in space, we're not looking through their eyes, we're in third person. Space SHOULD be just a black void of nothing-ness

Just google around and you can see that "astronauts can see stars in space" is quite an often answered topic. 

And while all the missions we play are in the same solar system....most of them are NOT in earth orbit...

Jupiter for example is  628,743,036km to 928,081,020km from us apart which is up to 6.2 AU 

Once we sent a person there...let's ask them what they saw....Im sure they'll answer "stars"

The human eye handles lightsources a LOT better than most cameras...Tenno are "advanced humans" using futuristic tech... and why would we have to see something different than a Tenno does? We ARE Tenno...just because we steer ourselves in 3rd person does not mean we should perceive the universe differently...you are a weird person :p

Edited by Shehriazad

Taken from the same album

4542435554_061eea174d_s.jpgFree Flying by NASA Goddard Photo and Video

Contrast.

The sun's reflecting off the earth which in turn makes it impossible to see stars without the aid of special lenses for long exposure or blocking the view of the earth. Every mission we play in this game out in space we're close enough to a planet that the light reflecting off of it SHOULD render the view of stars invisible. Again, making it a black void as seen in the photo above. Stars WOULD be visible if you faced away from both the sun and planet but again, it'd be dim. Certainly not blue and full "space clouds" or whatever's floating about

Edited by Smac

*snip*

AGAIN...EYES > LENSES (in this scenario)

Human eyes CAN and WILL see stars in while in space (as confirmed by astronauts...google it) because unlike most camera lenses...eyes can handle multiple different strength light sources. 

The 3rd view in the game does not matter...we ARE the Tenno that we steer...the 3rd person view was simply a design decision...but we ARE the things that we control...we aren't some higher power controlling the Tenno.

Thus we should see what they see....and obviously..they are seeing stars.

Furthermore it has been a few thousand years (presumably)...so this game is set FAR in the future. New gas clouds and other colorful things in our solar system could have been created in by then.

Edited by Shehriazad

AGAIN...EYES > LENSES (in this scenario)

Human eyes CAN and WILL see stars in while in space (as confirmed by astronauts...google it) because unlike most camera lenses...eyes can handle multiple different strength light sources. 

...I'm aware human eyes can and will see stars while in space. But not while a planet or sun is in view. The contrast is just too much for the human eye. Hence the black-ness. A simple experiment you can recreate.

Wait for a clear night where you can see stars outside.

Go outside and make sure you can see them.

Now go back inside

Put a light source/lamp next to the window.

With the lamp turned on, and in view, look out the window

You won't see any stars nor much outside for that matter.

Your eyes will focus on the light from the lamp, rendering the stars pretty much invisible to your eye.

The same goes for astronauts. They may look out one window and see stars. But the second they go to the other side and look out the window where the sun is shining or they have a view of the earth? It'll be much more difficult. Brighter it is? Less stars they'll see. As we're floating about in space, there's nothing blocking us from the planet's glare or the sun.

...I'm aware human eyes can and will see stars while in space. But not while a planet or sun is in view. The contrast is just too much for the human eye. Hence the black-ness. A simple experiment you can recreate.

Wait for a clear night where you can see stars outside.

Go outside and make sure you can see them.

Now go back inside

Put a light source/lamp next to the window.

With the lamp turned on, and in view, look out the window

You won't see any stars nor much outside for that matter.

Your eyes will focus on the light from the lamp, rendering the stars pretty much invisible to your eye.

The same goes for astronauts. They may look out one window and see stars. But the second they go to the other side and look out the window where the sun is shining or they have a view of the earth? It'll be much more difficult. Brighter it is? Less stars they'll see. As we're floating about in space, there's nothing blocking us from the planet's glare or the sun.

Apologies for the crude drawing of this but said experiment in picture form.

With the light there, and on, you don't see the dim lights from the stars. The human eye simply doesn't work that way. It's all contrast.

2e3soz7.jpg

Now replace the lamp with the sun/sun's reflection off of the planet, and you'll get the same effect.

Even Astronauts who're facing the sun? Cannot see stars.

They literally have to turn around/face away from it and anything reflecting such a strong glare to see them with their naked eyes.

Edited by Smac

Apologies for the crude drawing of this but said experiment in picture form.

With the light there, and on, you don't see the dim lights from the stars. The human eye simply doesn't work that way. It's all contrast.

2e3soz7.jpg

Yea...nice experiment....except you are skipping a problem with that example...your light is infront of a wall. Space has no walls. If the light is outside..like for example...mhhh....Streetlights...look outside...I can still see stars. I mean alright...I wont see as much as in a place that is not light polluted...but I can still see them. 

Also Tenno are super-humans...super humans probably have super vision #dealwithit.

Edited by Shehriazad

Yea...nice experiment....except you are skipping a problem with that example...your light is infront of a wall. Space has no walls.

You can achieve the same results outdoors. If it's night time where you're at I recommend going outside right now.

Turn your phone's flashlight on, hold it as far away from you as possible but shine the light towards you.

Your eyes will focus on that bright light, you won't see stars.

Another Example:

Light_pollution_country_versus_city.png 

Even with massive light pollution...the "bigger" stars remain visible. Let's not forget that an atmosphere will further mess with this vision. In space you will see stars...even if you look in the direction of the sun. 

Of course you wouldnt see stars directly around the sun....but it's still possible.