Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Laptop Help :/

GinKenshin

hoi tenno 

recently a message started to show up whenever I start my laptop, it says something about replacing my current battery because the current one isn't charging or something, I can't really remember, but anyway, I just bought this battery a year ago and it's already failed me, I have the charger plugged in almost all the time and I sometimes forget to remove it when I stop using my laptop
so does anyone know any tips on how to make my laptop battery live longer? if it helps I'm using the HP Pavilion dv6, I bought it in 2011 (I'm way way behind, I know) and it gets very very hot, I bought a fan for it and it's still gets hot, sometimes when I play high performance games like Warframe it gets overheated and shuts down, and sometimes it just stays running, but I give it a 1-2 hour rest every now and then, so if anyone can help me with this too I'd really appreciate it :) 

note that buying another laptop isn't an option 

thank you 

it sounds like you either bought an incompatable battery or a really old one. not only that but it helps to not let your pc get to hot especially with a battery. they have special conditions and if they arent met their lifespan really degrade over time 

I bought a new one last year, 2013 but now even that isn't working right

Most battery warranties are about 90 days or so. After that, anything that happens to them is considered "wear and tear" usually. It should last at least 18 months, unless you haven't cared for it properly.

However, if a new battery isn't working either, it may be the laptop, in which case my expertise ends :(

Edited by Archistopheles

Some batteries last longer than others but in general they develop memory issues when not used.

In laymans terms use it or lose it.

If the battery isn't run down to near empty from a full charge every now and then it starts to hold less of a charge.

Older batteries will naturally develop shorter charge discharge cycles but always having the laptop plugged in and never running on the battery significantly accelerates it.

The excess heat can degrade the battery performance even faster usually you need to make sure there is adequate ventilation.

Nothing should be close to or blocking the vent holes. Since a lot of laptops have holes for air intake or expelling on the bottom that means avoiding keeping it in your lap or on a bed/sofa for prolonged periods without a lapdesk or something that is flat solid and won't conform to the shape of the laptop allowing airflow.

If your laptop actually has a fan use a flashlight and look in the vent holes while to laptop is on to make sure the fan is spinning. Beyond that you might have to take it to a professional to look at.

Hope this helps.