The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Update 15.5 And Physx/nvidia Driver Crash

Snougar

Loving Update 15.5 so far!

Though last night my game crashed 3 times within 45 minutes. Each time the game CTD'd, came up with the Crash Reporter and then Nvidia said the driver stopped.

Now after a lot of trouble-shooting it seems to be PhysX causing the issue (Disabled it and have not had a crash since!). BUT I don't know if this is a driver/PhysX issue or an issue DE introduced with 15.5.

The reason I say this is because I own a GTX970 and  I've read the GTX900 series do apparently have issues with games that are using PhysX on the GPU (Metro Last Light, Borderlands 2/TPS, Batman AO etc). But I also read that DE did change the PhysX Apex particles this update.

The fact I have never had an issue with PhysX or Warframe on my GTX760 in the past, I am a little confused what is the actual cause of the problem.

So anyone else using a GTX970/980 having issues with PhysX in Warframe?

System specs:

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz
GA-Z77-D3H
16GB DDR3-1600
Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC Black Edition
60GB Vertex III
Corsair HX-520

Windows 7 SP1 x64
Forceware 344.75
All other drivers up to date

Temp wise the CPU peaks at about 45-47C and the GTX970 barely pushes 45C when playing Warframe. No other games have issues; 40 hours of Far Cry 4 and not a single crash or sign of instability. Prime95 for a few hours makes the CPU 58-62C and FurMark pushes my GPU to about 65C. 

Bump along with a bug number:

WAR-366334

Also I did about 5-6 rounds of Void without a single issue. Went do to the Alad V event (Destroying the reactor) and mid shooting the reactor it just crashed again with a driver stopped error. :(

Bump along with a bug number:

WAR-366334

Also I did about 5-6 rounds of Void without a single issue. Went do to the Alad V event (Destroying the reactor) and mid shooting the reactor it just crashed again with a driver stopped error. :(

Hi Snougar,

Is there any chance you could repro this for us one more time and provide another WAR-####?

We are actively looking at this issue as we speak.

Thanks!

So you guys are aware - I'm using 2 GTX 970s in SLI and haven't had a single problem, so it's unlikely to be on Nvidia's end (unless Snougar is running different drivers to me - I have the v344.75, which is the beta version)

Edited by Ezard

Snougar,

You're correct, NVidia communicated us patches to improve compatiblity with their latests series

The recent changes on particles were for ppl that were playing without VSynch

So perhaps, try with VSynch off and Vsynch on and see if that makes a difference for you

Hi Snougar,

Is there any chance you could repro this for us one more time and provide another WAR-####?

We are actively looking at this issue as we speak.

Thanks!

Well I've been trying for the past hour to get it to crash, haha. Though when it did crash it was during one of the Mesa missions that I can't get back into.

For now I've just left it PhysX on and will log again if it crashes.

So you guys are aware - I'm using 2 GTX 970s in SLI and haven't had a single problem, so it's unlikely to be on Nvidia's end (unless Snougar is running different drivers to me - I have the v344.75, which is the beta version)

344.75 has been out of beta quite a while now, its been signed off. 344.80 is the latest hotfixed for the 980s (Far as I know they haven't put up the next beta).

I'm thinking this may be an issue with my PhysX libraries, left overs from when I was on my 760. I will test this out tomorrow and will try the legacy version as well to see if it helps.

Edited by Snougar

I have the same issue, but from before the update. It seems like nvidia driver crashes and then recovers, but WF crash completely.

I've had this issue on other games, but it is really rare on them, and even when it happens it only freezes for a second and afterwards I can continue playing.

On warframe it is very common and the game crashes completely. Then when I try to send the report it fails every time. If there is anything I can do to help you fix this please let me know. I will probably play a little tonight and a lot tomorrow.

I am using:

Intel® Core™ i7 3720QM Procesador

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M con 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 16GB

256GB SSD

Windows 8.1

Nvidia drivers up to date.

Edited by Agua

Snougar,

You're correct, NVidia communicated us patches to improve compatiblity with their latests series

The recent changes on particles were for ppl that were playing without VSynch

So perhaps, try with VSynch off and Vsynch on and see if that makes a difference for you

I play in borderless window mode with v-sync on, though I'm not sure if v-sync works properly outside of fullscreen mode. Though I'll definitely try fullscreen without v-sync and see how it goes.

Hope it all gets sorted, Screen tearing will drive me nuts haha.

Edited by Snougar

So the past two days I've been playing quite a bit, With V-sync and the settings that were originally causing the CTD/Driver issues and I've yet to have a single crash.

So it was either the Mesa stuff causing it, or one of the hotfixes sorted it out? 

gtx970

i5-3570

12gb 1600

600 watt psu

sevral ssd/hdd 64 gb 256 gb 1tb

Ive gotten the crash to desktop with driver dying and restore message since U15, after mesa I started ctd with no message or error reporter, the update from 12/1(today) Im getting the driver crash notification again. Ive tried on the previous patches core park/unpark vsync on/off, full screen(normally boarderless), I will try physx.  not had an issue in any other game.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a 9 series, but I've got a Tri-Titan setup (7 series). I had EVGA's Precision opened up to monitor the GPU usage of the three cards, and I noticed that the one that handles the PhysX in a non-dedicated mode would spike to 100% usage before completely locking up my system.

I should also add that I'm using Gsync (vsync disabled in Warframe), and that disabling PhysX seems to work fine in preventing a lockup.

Edited by Jytra

I have GTX 970 too and disabled the PhysX effects since the crashing became a real annoyance. When I used the PhysX effects the game seemed to always crash during Void missions or Dark Sector missions. Other missions it was better. Well, at least the few runs I did in Europa.

I love the PhysX effects and would love to use them. And turning VSync off is not an option for me as the game looks really wonky to me if I turn it off.

I got an GTX 660 Ti and before U 15 I could play all content no problem with every setting at max and still rarely dropping below 50 fps.

As of late any void that takes longer than 10 minutes will crash, especially prone are survivals. Next culprit is DS or infested in general with the hideous amount of particles spawned thanks to the new moas, here disabling PhysX worked like a charm, no crashes. Voids however remain unplayable! Even with PhysX disabled I also noticed that the lighting of certain rooms is far too bright. (Was not the case before.)

To summarize:

Before U 15.X

No gameplay issues, no fps issues everything @ max nice and smooth 1920x1080

Since U 15.X

Insane particle spam causes performance issues, these can be circumvented by completely disabling PhysX at least in DS/infested tile sets, with PhysX disabled, no problem but well it does not look and feel quite as nice a rather bad trade off for some stupid new enemy (swarm moa)

Void, completely unplayable for anytime longer than 10 minutes, game will crash, driver will recover, game will recover as well of some sort but the screen will remain black, effectively making the game recovery unsuccessful. (the MS recommended fix for TDR delay has been applied).

I do not get ANY crashes doing grineer tile sets and some very very rare ones on corpus tile sets, with PhysX enabled, without PhysX I do not get any crashes at all on grineer, corpus or infested tile sets. Voids are still a catastrophe however.       

No other current game I am playing causes frequent CTD as WF does right now (in void missions)

Its also no overheating issue since my gpu does not exceed 50°C hell it does not even reach 50. Same for the rest of the system.

Edited by Hatzeputt

Yeah I noticed that too. Here is the room with the worst eye blinding brightness:

bright.jpg

bright2.jpg

Precisely one of the rooms I was referring to.

Update:

Today after suffering another crash on my first mission overall and first void mission, a T2C within not even 4 minutes of playing I snapped and reverted my driver to 334.89.......

Tried a survival (T1s) for testing purposes and it went smoothly well beyond 25 minutes, tried several other void missions as well, as it turns out the all too bright lighting is gone as well, if reverting to an almost 1 year old driver fixed my problems I will be more than happy! So far so good.

I should also mention this worked with PhysX on and AA on high among everything else except shadows which I always keep on low.

Update 2

Several hours and more than 2 dozen void missions and others later including several survivals I am happy to say not a single crash (aside from the server hick up). The old driver runs much more stable it seems.

Edited by Hatzeputt

The new beta drivers don't fix anything. Still same crashes with PhysX effects and way too bright rooms. Also the game has crashed three times even without the PhysX effects (all times in Void).

Does anyone know a working drivers for the GTX 970? And also how is the fixing coming along? Will Nvidia release new drivers or is this both game+driver issue?

Same boat here guys...

Geforce GTX 970 and 344.75 driver. Many, many crashes.

I don't know if is nvidia problem because the only game with problem is warframe.

Sometimes the game completely crashes. Sometimes crashes and the driver recover from the crash and warframe get a black screen. If this black screen happens, I keep hearing the sounds from the game with black screen.

Yes, exactly the same thing what happens to me.

Do you overclock your card, Jud?

I like to overclock. I am experience on that.

My system is rock solid and well tested with hours of fullmark, 3dmark 11 and 13 loops, cpu burn test, etc. The OC I am using right now is not agressive. In fact is very low one.

THE ONLY GAME I am having problem is Warframe with that black screen crashes.