Update 7.9.0: The Glaive

[DE]Rebecca

So what the hell is this? "The HEK is a powerful shotgun that fires its shots with a tight spread, making it efficient at medium range as long as its strong recoil is properly managed." This is not bug, this is in-game desciption. That's why we buy it, ring a bell, make it back on next friday or im out. I even wanted to pay and support. Not anymore.

Hek was better on long distance then Snipetron. Now its great at short and good at medium. Like IRL.

so uhh if the sentence "- Fixed Frost's Freeze power not being affected by Continuity mod.

- Fixed Frost's Snow Globe power not being affected by Continuity and Range mod. 

does it means that continuity can't work on frost skill anymore?

It means the said mods will now work on Frosts skills. Have not tested but I'll take their word for it.

"Sniping shotgun" - bug. It's still best for major demage, but only at close range, like it should be.

Use not only 1 weapon. Different weapons for different missions. No more "Hek only everywhere".

inability to snipe with shotgun is its pellet spread (even in cs1.6 u can land a headshot through de_dust2_long with b.2.1 shotgun)

strun has wide spread and its useful at close range

hek's description states "The HEK is a powerful shotgun that fires its shots with a tight spread, making it efficient at medium range as long as its strong recoil is properly managed."

but now damage falloff makes it 80% less powerfull at MEDIUM range

honestly, dunno which range DE count as short and medium, but shotgun should be kind of useful in room approximately 15-20 meters long especially "tight-spread" hek in which it loses 80% of its power

inability to snipe with shotgun is its pellet spread (even in cs1.6 u can land a headshot through de_dust2_long with b.2.1 shotgun)

strun has wide spread and its useful at close range

hek's description states "The HEK is a powerful shotgun that fires its shots with a tight spread, making it efficient at medium range as long as its strong recoil is properly managed."

but now damage falloff makes it 80% less powerfull at MEDIUM range

honestly, dunno which range DE count as short and medium, but shotgun should be kind of useful in room approximately 15-20 meters long especially "tight-spread" hek in which it loses 80% of its power

I figured the HEK wouldn't get too affected by the update as it was a shotgun *Ment* for this sort of sniping O.o

Concerning Hek and shotgun nerf - every coin has two sides. I do strongly believe that Hek was insanely overpowered up until now. I didn't see any reason to use gorgon or boltor, when my Hek simply one-shoted anything but the toughest enemies on Pluto on distances up to mid range (and here mid range is where boltor is usefull the most). So the nerf was to be expected, at the very least. But now I'm puzzled. What is the purpose of Hek shotgun with this update? It's one and only merit, when compared to Strun, was having tighter spread, giving more accuracy. Aside from that Strun doesn't deal that much less damage and has incrediably good Polarity slot, which makes it far better for modding. Now that I struggle to one-shot anything from anywhere further than 8-10 meters, I really don't see any point in using Hek anymore. Strun is simply better at everything. Doesn't it strike you all odd? Why not stick to the idea of tighter/wider spread and simply tweak it so that Hek doesn't outmatch most of the rifles? Same for gorgon, it was relatively balanced gun, which allowed mid-long range shooting to some degree when used semi-auto. Now it's just a different variation of shotgun, in essence. It doesn't help that Gorgon was always an ammo hog, now it's just even less effective. Boltor, on the other hand, now is far superior. Not like it wasn't comparable to Gorgon and Hek to begin with.

I won't write anything childish like "oh no, I won't play this game anymore". In retrospective, changes do try to address balancing issues. And patches, especially in beta (and we are playing in beta, do remember it) don't always come out 100% accurate and necessary. But it kinda puzzles me as to what logic was behind Gorgon and shotgun nerf. In first case the gun became so close to shotguns, that now people will have to question themselves wether they want it or it is simpler to use Strun. And second change just completely messed up internal balance withing this particular weapon category.

Edited by Genkaro

A drop-off in damage after roughly 8-10m is so damn stupid, let's render shotguns more or less useless...

More spread could be understandable but only if it is reasonable, this change isn't reasonable at all.

Oh, and at the same time nerfing Gorgon, too...

And green Shockmoas? I want the yellow ones back!

Edited by ragrag

Nerf for Shotguns/Gorgon too extreme.

All other bug fixes are fantastic.

A suggestion, however..

If the Glaive is going to be an alert reward, please up the quantity of "?" alert missions. At the current rate, there's hardly any "?" alerts and makes it hard for people like me who work, go to school, sleep, and have duties on the side to ever get what we need. I cannot simply have all my time available solely for this game nor can I jump into the game at any given moment. If I could, I would totally devote all my time to it as I am hooked. That said, I've already missed quite a few helmets/artifacts and who knows when I'll ever get that opportunity again? 1 day, 3 days, a month; who knows?

So far, the way you, the devs, have things currently set up (farming for BP parts which can take days, getting certain items through rare alert missions that happen maybe 3-5 times in 24 hours and is totally randomized, ridiculous build times, etc.) is not to encourage people to buy platinum, but rather you've basically forced people to do so not because of those inconveniences stated above, but because of the mental frustration and/or impossibility for obtaining certain things (though brutal, I admit it is smart). Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying to make everything available easily to everyone; at least lessen up on some of these time sinkholes. I'll gladly play for months on end, no doubt about it, as long as I have the feeling that it is possible for me to obtain what I need. The alerts are a good start.

For those of you wondering, I have spent much time gathering parts, farming, and building things when I have the chance to play. I'm not saying it's all totally impossible, but it is very frustrating to the point where I just don't want to play because I'm discouraged. Even through all that, however,  I've managed to create a Frost, Banshee, Loki, and Ash to date. Currently I'm working on Saryn and Ember. As for their helmets? Not even half do I have. I've spent enough time doing the above to know if it's a little too extreme time-wise.

Look, I'm all for what DE's current business model is. Companies need money to stay afloat. I've supported them. That plus I keep up with forums. I agree with most changes and don't complain much if at all. I only speak up when some things seem a bit out of hand and this time I'm only asking this time for a raise of "?" alerts.

Other than that, keep up the great work. You devs maintain great communication with the community and that is a huge plus for any company. Props and thanks to all of you at DE.

Hek was better on long distance then Snipetron. Now its great at short and good at medium. Like IRL.

Hek is only good at very short range, just like any other shotgun now.

Due to the dmg drop-off, they become useless at medium change and do 1 dmg per pellet.

Changes:

- Increased base Crit Chance and Damage on Grakata.

Misread this, so I'll elaborate my findings.

The "Crit Damage" was boosted, the base damage still displays as 9 per round.

Overall, I like alot of the changes/fixes + the new weapon which I will be leveling shortly. Looking forward to more things.

Edited by DBugII