Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swordplay

TheErebus.

As someone who adores swords and all things related to it, I was curious on some techniques and searched it up.

Found this:

and this

Both of them are quite intensive and seem to take a lot of skill and speed to pull off.

WHat do you guys think about it?

while those videos are amazing the combat style displayed contains a lot of binds which are absent from warframe. I'm not sure that warframe's melee system will ever look like that because bind are so hard to incorporate into stance combos.

I'm quite suprised about the amount of finesse these swords had, i always pictured these to be more brutal with less counter-attacks.

Love it.

Swordplay requires a lot of dexterity and agility in order to use them effectively.

Skallagrim puts it best in this video: 

Wooo very interesting, I love swordfights (nobody beats the legendary Zorro)

But right now I am more interested in hand to hand before moving onto any weapons ;)

I actually do Muay Thai with my instructor, really nice way to work out. 

My issue with hand to hand is that it seems...barren. Like it can brutal as all hell (believe me when I say that if the UFC was done in ancient times, it'd be bloodier than Tokyo Gore Police). 

I prefer swordplay. But sadly no one where I live instructs it or even teaches it, so I kinda taught myself by ordering instruction manuals.

I actually do Muay Thai with my instructor, really nice way to work out. 

My issue with hand to hand is that it seems...barren. Like it can brutal as all hell (believe me when I say that if the UFC was done in ancient times, it'd be bloodier than Tokyo Gore Police). 

I prefer swordplay. But sadly no one where I live instructs it or even teaches it, so I kinda taught myself by ordering instruction manuals.

Ohh boy, I've heard the stories 

Before fighting, put fist in melted wax, then dip those in bits of glass, probably caged too? Yeah this happened only 50 years ago, go back further and it gets worse XD

Yeah it kind of sucks how so many cool things are available but can't really learn them properly, books are good but not as good as an actual instructor :S

Swordplay requires a lot of dexterity and agility in order to use them effectively.

Skallagrim puts it best in this video: 

Watched couple of his videos pretty informative.

The closest thing i have here is Kendo club, then again feels like whole different style.

Is it me or the Asian swordfighting preserved most of the knowledge meanwhile european seems to be picking up again by breadcrumbs?

Same goes for archery.

Edited by Morgax

Watched couple of his videos pretty informative.

The closest thing i have here is Kendo club, then again feels like whole different style.

Is it me or the Asian swordfighting preserved most of the knowledge meanwhile european seems to be picking up again by breadcrumbs?

Same goes for archery.

A lot of the knowledge from Swordplay is based around manuals left behind by those who wrote them while the age of swordplay was still in, so a lot of the knowledge will be either lost or kept sacred. 

Japanese swordsmanship is well-preserved due to a strong sense of maintaining lineage, or students. Besides, nobody (especially now that a number of martial arts are so old) would want to let what is basically a physical artform die.

European swordsmen had a different view on things. Historians are gradually getting bits and pieces of their techniques, and while progress is steady, it is also slow. European masters did not want to have their techniques public so that any potential opponents would not know what to expect. Like TheErebus said, most of the information gathered comes from the manuals of those who were willing to teach their techniques to others.

On a somewhat different subject, I kind of agree that hand to hand feels a bit empty. (Heh, empty hand.) I do prefer swordplay, but kick-based styles are fun too.