Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, Nyx Prime Has Been Out For More Than 70 Days Now...

Marthrym

And I would like to talk about her looks, her "bonus" stat, and more generally bonus stats for all Primes.

I main Nyx(Prime), always have. When Nyx Prime came out, I was first dissapointed(understatement) by the fact that she was, at least in my opinion, the first Prime to fall victim to the new "armor" cosmetic trend. The Targis armor should have been an integrant part of Nyx Prime, NOT a separate thing. Without it, Nyx Prime looks... naked. Blend. With it? Awesome. I felt... compelled to buy the Accessory Pack to feel like I wasn't being "screwed" when using her. Keep in mind, that's totally subjective, and I know it most probably doesn't affect other players like it does me, but think about Loki Prime Or Rhino Prime, imagine if some part of their shiny parts(especially Rhino's...^^) were not part of them, and were just like the Targis armor, a separate cosmetic. Wouldn't you feel bad too?^^'

The second thing I'd like to mention is the "bonus" Nyx Prime received. The armor bonus. Why armor? This is a genuine question for you, dear devs, I would really like to understand what reasoning brought you to the conclusion that armor would suit Nyx Prime best. Was it because of the Targis armor (which wouldn't make much sense since, again, it's NOT an integrant part of Nyx Prime)? Did you feel she was too "squishy" and needed that to be viable? If so, do you really think a measly 35 armor on top of her abysmal 15 was enough? Don't get me wrong, the thing I want to point out here is not if whether or not 50 armor is good or bad, but rather if an armor bonus, however massive or not it might be, FITS Nyx Prime's kit and playstyle.

Personally, I think it doesn't. She's not a tanky frame (barring Absorb, and that's more questionable now after its nerf/balance pass, pick your word^^) and she's good that way. Her kit allows her to CONTROL damage, NOT MITIGATE it. Where does an armor bonus fit in this? The answer is simple : it doesn't. Armor was the LAST stat I would have picked for Nyx Prime. I would have (obviously...) chosen Energy, just like Loki Prime. Why? Because it FITS. It suits her, her kit(Hek, Absorb would benefits immensely from it now), her playstyle. Not unlike a certain number of frames, Nyx relies heavily on her powers to survive and prevail, even moreso at higher levels. Which means she relies on constant energy supply. Don't you think this alone puts a rather obvious "PUT BONUS HERE" sign on her Energy Pool? Don't get me wrong, even if she had received a 500 armor bonus, I still would have made that post. Because armor does not fit Nyx. It would have been much better, and made much more sense on Rhino Prime for instance, to complement his inherent resilience, his kit, his "charge into the fray" playstyle. But it simply isn't Nyx. At all.

So, I would like to know why this choice. Is it because Loki Prime already had it, and you feared it would seem redundant? In that case, considering the (ever expanding) number of frames, you will run out of options at some point, and have no other choice but to reuse the same bonus (unless you have a hidden agenda/trick up your sleeve^^). Also, don't you think the bonus should be fitting, even if it is indeed redundant?

So there it is, that's my take on it. I know it's subjective, I know it won't stop me from playing Nyx Prime (it hasn't so far^^), and that she's still the very best frame out there (yeah yeah I know, that's just my opinion, *insert frame here* master race! etc^^). I just wanted to share my opinion on the matter and hope that maybe someday, Nyx Prime will receive the love she deserves and be on "equal ground" (I know, again, subjective) with Loki and Rhino Prime (and all that follow^^) and that the "little something" they have over their "regular" counterparts, if it still is here in the future, will fit them and complement them in the most efficient and fun way possible.^^

Edited by Marthrym

I don't really know what the armor bonus is doing on Nyx Prime either. It'd be better if Rhino Prime and Nyx Prime traded bonuses with each other, since that'd suit her more than armor. 

But anyway, while I do not dislike that people use emotes like "^^" in their posts, I think you went a bit overboard by having eight of them in your post. Maybe you can tone down the usage of emotes in future posts? Just a suggestion.

I think she looks great in other armors besides the Targis Armor.(I use Targis on her chest and Eos on everything else)

And the armor increase was simply to make up for her one truly weak point (though, admittedly it doesn't do the best job at that. 50 would be more understandable). Honestly it just sounds like you wanted her to have a bonus to energy and are upset that she doesn't.

I think if they made a bonus to fit a playstyle as OP says it would pidgeonhole the player into playing that playstyle, spreading stats around to allow for different playstyle or filling weak holes seems a better strategy.

It's not that armor fits her playstyle, its more like patching a weak spot in her.

Who knows, maybe DE plans some sort of armor or hybrid armor/energy mod in the future, and this would fit right in. They certainly wouldn't tell you that, but this could be a hint.

Also, for the sake of devil's advocate, what if they did put the bonus on energy? Wouldn't that make some say the prime version of her is "too good"? And wouldn't that make people playing the non-prime version of her feel really bad and/or wasting their time?

I think if they made a bonus to fit a playstyle as OP says it would pidgeonhole the player into playing that playstyle, spreading stats around to allow for different playstyle or filling weak holes seems a better strategy.

It's not that armor fits her playstyle, its more like patching a weak spot in her.

+1 My thoughts exactly. Though the buff would be nice if it were simply increased to 50. 35 armor is hardly better in a battle than 15 even if it is more than twice as much.

Edited by Kestral9999

all ik is that I still havent gotten a single piece of her yet after running a billion void runs

You're VERY unlucky then. I'm sorry for you.

I don't really know what the armor bonus is doing on Nyx Prime either. It'd be better if Rhino Prime and Nyx Prime traded bonuses with each other, since that'd suit her more than armor. 

But anyway, while I do not dislike that people use emotes like "^^" in their posts, I think you went a bit overboard by having eight of them in your post. Maybe you can tone down the usage of emotes in future posts? Just a suggestion.

First time someone makes that remark... I feel bad now lol.

Who knows, maybe DE plans some sort of armor or hybrid armor/energy mod in the future, and this would fit right in. They certainly wouldn't tell you that, but this could be a hint.

Also, for the sake of devil's advocate, what if they did put the bonus on energy? Wouldn't that make some say the prime version of her is "too good"? And wouldn't that make people playing the non-prime version of her feel really bad and/or wasting their time?

I disagree. It wouldn't "pigeonhole" her for instance, just bolster her potential further. She's a CC frame, that's no secret, and it's great that way. She's not a melee frame, it's fairly obvious, and again, though she can defend herself in melee if need be, this bonus is then far too "minor", it doesn't help her at all. Armor becomes important when enemies start tearing through shields pretty fast, which means their damage output is quite high. What good is 50 armor then? It doesn't help. Trust me, I tested this EXTENSIVELY, her survivability isn't going up. Her kit inherently promotes damage control with CC rather than mitigation, is that bad? Should it be changed? Should she be a Saryn? I don't think so. Is the Speed bonus "pigeonholing" Rhino? Nope. Is the energy bonus for Loki Prime? Again, nope. So why would more energy be bad for Nyx Prime, when this armor "bonus" clearly doesn't benefit her in any way? There is a difference between giving frames a "niche" and trying to bolster their existing strengths. In Nyx's case, energy would just further allow her to compensate her paper armor with more CC potential. It's not about "patching weak spots", it's about enhancing potential further, which by ricochet actually does "patch" potential weaknesses.

As to whether or not it would make her "OP"... Honestly, considering Rhino and Loki Prime, it would only be fair in my opinion. I know some agree, some don't, and I understand it. But I had to try and make my point. I've seen other people do it for their favourite frame, and it sometimes worked! So why wouldn't it if I give it a shot? At least it will help me see if I am alone (in which case I would question myself) or if others share that sentiment.