Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotgun- Under-Powered After Nerf

Prophet968

I've always used my "STRUN 30" as my main weapon, its easily my favorite gun and will be for most of the game. But the fact that my gun can no longer shoot more than 20 feet is absolutely unbearable and makes almost all shotguns a worthless weapon. It seems necessary to buff there range again. If anyone else agrees/disagrees feel free to say so.

Thanks.

After playing a few more hours. I've decided that It deserved a bit of a nerf. The gun's still great and seems more equal now! (Good nerf) :)

Edited by Prophet968

Let's have a look at it for longer than 24 hours and see what it boils down to. If suddenly rifles become viable again because they can provide long range damage where the shotguns fail, this was a good move. If shotguns are outclassed in short to medium ranges by rifles, it needs adjustment. Keep in mind that shotguns were, pre-buff, too strong. Maybe they are too weak now. Let's try this for a bit. :)

Yeah I noticed not that much diffrene when I tested out the Hek still blast the enemies in close combat like it did before the patch. And the lose of being able to 1 shot across the map not really somthing i will miss. Feel more like a shotgun in closer combat then being able to use it better then snipetron for long distance.

Let's have a look at it for longer than 24 hours and see what it boils down to. If suddenly rifles become viable again because they can provide long range damage where the shotguns fail, this was a good move. If shotguns are outclassed in short to medium ranges by rifles, it needs adjustment. Keep in mind that shotguns were, pre-buff, too strong. Maybe they are too weak now. Let's try this for a bit. :)

I went from strun to lex, after about 20 games of testing as my main damage dealer. I have switched out strun for braton. Braton is now my secondary weapon. In the last 5 games I played I havent even used my braton, lex never runs out of ammo. It's a shame the strun got nailed, as from what I have read the decision was made because of the overuse of the hek.

The problem with this nerf is that it seams to be very strong. I have yet to test it but will probably do so soon, if the Hek is really as bad as I hear them talk about it, then DE is going to go from everyone who has it uses it to nobody uses it.

What DE forgets is what a shotgun is. It is supposed to be a one shot kill, at least on any normal units and the Hek is advertised to be reliable at medium ranges so it must shot up to a good couple dashes distance and reliably kill in one shot. there isn't much of a way for a middle ground for this, it is a shotgun after all.

Well the shotguns damage is of no issue, the only real thing that bothered me was the reduced range. I'm not complaining by any means, I'll survive either way. But the reduced range for me seems to be a bit to much, I can't shoot very far at all! But it may be different for everyone else.

Shotguns are overpowered weapons in general. Really if they wanted to nerf the hek they could of lowered the firerate to turn it into a single-target weapon (plus they could add some badass cocking animations later).

I've just tried and yeah, against grineer it's mostly useless now. It works against corpus, probably decent against infested since they all rush you but grineer are too armoured for mid range shots. Even relativelly short range can still fail to kill in one shot. This a hek fully modded for damage with 60 points so yeah, not really as useful now.

The problem is indeed the approuch they had to this. What should have been was after a range = to a couple maxed out dashes the spread starts to increase in a very high fashion while keeping the damage as it was. They would prevent the sniping since few pelets would hit the enemy at longs distances and thus damage would be greatly reduced.

Another possible approuch which I like less but would at least work decently is increase the fire rat and triple the amount of ammo in it (the number of shots it takes to kill a grineer at med ranges now (average)... Still the problem with this is that the Hek then becomes a spam shot weapon which will not make it ammo effective in any way... Probably would need double the base ammo size it has to offset this problem.