Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Feel When You Get A Lot Of Upvotes? And How Do You Feel When You Don't Have Any? Or You Just Don't Care :p

BarbatosLR

Before I begin let me just say I'm not ragging but trying to prove a theory. Like when people post something like a contest or an event in the forums like a musical lets say, the ones who post afterwards on the first page instantly get lots of upvotes. Like the new Christmas Carol Contest for example→ https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/359225-new-tenno-caroling-contest/

On the first page, we notice several post with high upvotes with great made lyrics in them. But just after reading page 1 to the last page, you notice not many upvotes were done it would seem. Some of them had a few upvotes, they were pretty good lyrics too which I even made one as well for the fun of it. But afterwards the people didn't seem to like it in a way, so of course no upvotes. But when reading through the pages, there were so many great musical warframe carol songs that I really like and so I gave a few upvotes to those carols. But what I find most odd is that everybody seems to prefer the first few pages of carols instead of reading the others pages. And what could be that reason I wonder?

Is it because people didn't like them? Did they even took the time to read them and give it a though? Or what? Or is it that phrase "Fisrt come first serves" thing.

That's my question. Why is it always somehow the first people who respond to a post gets the most vote. Aren't the other volunteers doing a good job too with their carol songs? Shouldn't they at least get a few upvotes as well for at least trying? And i bet you must be asking yourself "why does this guy care about people's post" or thinking "this is a waste of time" right now but the reason is that i find not many people seem to appreciate for their work they did.

I always told that when someone is trying their hardest to impress the crowd in a concert, you should always give the person (child, etc) a compliment of hope no matter how terrible it was. You know, like giving credits for trying. And so I'll asks this, don't you feel that if you created something here, wouldn't you too would want to have a bit of credit for trying something you never did and be happy about it?

So tell me, how do you guys feel about getting or not getting an upvote? Believe it or not I one time saw a guy whining about not getting an upvote in some weird thread (I don't remember for it was a long time ago) and trust me it was kinda of annoying I found :/ I pitied him...a little.

The front posts get the most upvotes because very few people want to bother reading the rest of the thread. There's simply too much to go through. I thought the quality increased as the thread got longer, but even I only read to page 5 or so before going to do something else.

So the problem isn't that people don't like the later posts, but that it's really tedious to read through 10+ pages of a thread.

the problem isn't that people don't like the later posts, but that it's really tedious to read through 10+ pages of a thread.

That would be my guess on it. Very few have time to go through every single entry or post, and that has less to do with distaste and more to do with the tedious process.

I will upvote if a post makes me laugh or is directly on topic with what is being discussed.

Personally , if i get an upvote i don't make a fuss. But it just tells me other people agree or found something i posted amusing.

I'll avoid posting if i see negative posts by other players or a debate because i have a low tolerance for BS.

If you're striving for upvotes on  a forum no offense but gosh , your life must be boring. -.-

Oh no you got it wrong man. I don't care about getting upvotes nor am I trying to striving to have some. I'm just wondering why most people like to upvotes the first things in the beginning page. I just find it odd why no one simply just go read other people's post and stuff mostly. I'm just curious is all. Nothing special really.

I don't usually read more than a few pages until I skip to the end. Probably the same for a bunch of people. Probably mainly the moderators that skim through everything to make sure there isn't actionable stuff in all the posts.

As to getting upvotes, doesn't really affect me one way or another. And besides, Rebecca didn't like my Lotus Kubrow Burgers idea. ;.;

Heh. I mean, she's gotta do SOMETHING with all them Kubrows. Gotta cost more than the 25 or 35k credits it takes to take care of them...I mean, 6 stabilizers costs 75k, right? Unless she just lets them melt into puddles and pockets your credits. ;)

Edited by CedarDpg

I don't usually read more than a few pages until I skip to the end. Probably the same for a bunch of people. Probably mainly the moderators that skim through everything to make sure there isn't actionable stuff in all the posts.

As to getting upvotes, doesn't really affect me one way or another. And besides, Rebecca didn't like my Lotus Kubrow Burgers idea. ;.;

Heh. ;)

Lotus Kubrow burgers? Heh, now I suddenly feel hungry for that. ;D

And you also misunderstood the way i phrased my previous post. I didn't mean you directly. I mean people posting in the forums in general. If you are posting simply to get upvoted that's pretty sad. hehe.

And i also agree kuliise , after reading 2-3 pages of post i kinda wander off. So i have to assume that's why certain posts do not get any upvotes while the ones on the first and last page get them all.

Oh sorry my bad. Well surely there's should be a reason why others in forums strive to have upvotes might be either because they want attention or they feel the need to express their ideas/opinions here to get people to talk to them and get to know them better that way? Right? Some people do that ya know.

It must be the same for Roleplay forums too. People come in and you all get along and so on. But still it is sad if you're only looking for upvotes -_-

Kubrow poutine?! Yes, please! :)

Pffaahahah I like you man. Ya cool to tall to. Add me in-game next time and we'll talk about more food XD

Now please back to discussion.

Here's another reason why most post gets more upvotes then others. Sometimes people would see something they like and they'll upvote the person' s art,Iidea, etc but when someone post something less approaching, they're literally not vote or even visite the thread at all.

If you want the attention to others for votes, find something what others want to hear and listen to what they think. Listening to others or reading other posts is like a class and with these you can learn from them. They are like tools and tools that will help you make a greater post for others to visit and have fun.

Pffaahahah I like you man. Ya cool to tall to. Add me in-game next time and we'll talk about more food XD

Now please back to discussion.

Here's another reason why most post gets more upvotes then others. Sometimes people would see something they like and they'll upvote the person' s art,Iidea, etc but when someone post something less approaching, they're literally not vote or even visite the thread at all.

If you want the attention to others for votes, find something what others want to hear and listen to what they think. Listening to others or reading other posts is like a class and with these you can learn from them. They are like tools and tools that will help you make a greater post for others to visit and have fun.

Haha, yeah, that was my last food related offtopic post here. Alrighty, I'll add ya next time I'm on. :)

On topic: I can see people who want attention/crave approval and acknowledgement want that pat on the back... It's a reward for interacting and possibly putting in a lot of effort into something when a tangible reward isn't going to be forthcoming. If people were consistent in upvoting things, it'd also be a very imprecise bit of a metric for how well an idea or whatever is received. I just assume most people can't be assed to upvote stuff most times though, so put no stock/desire into receiving them. I definitely am guilty of not upvoting stuff enough. A kind "word" as it might be. :)

I tend to be the voice of opposition... pretty much everywhere... I don't enjoy sitting around agreeing and I don't like dev bashing, so I end up mostly just criticizing and arguing, not by intent but by default. So when I get likes it's a rare and pleasant surprise that people actually changed their minds or that other people disagree with the louder general opinion.

But when you make 6,000 posts you're going to get a few good ones just by accident. :P

When I get significant upvotes it's more often just for a rant.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/316898-why-is-the-meta-even-the-meta/?view=findpost&p=3581274

Haha, yeah, that was my last food related offtopic post here. Alrighty, I'll add ya next time I'm on. :)

On topic: I can see people who want attention/crave approval and acknowledgement want that pat on the back... It's a reward for interacting and possibly putting in a lot of effort into something when a tangible reward isn't going to be forthcoming. If people were consistent in upvoting things, it'd also be a very imprecise bit of a metric for how well an idea or whatever is received. I just assume most people can't be assed to upvote stuff most times though, so put no stock/desire into receiving them. I definitely am guilty of not upvoting stuff enough. A kind "word" as it might be. :)

Well said. And even so, when posting stuff is sometimes the only solution if you want to interact with others for something but I prefer to interact with others in real life of course XD

And here's my post on the Carol contest for example:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/359225-new-tenno-caroling-contest/page-11#entry3992998 Even though i didn't get any upvotes I don't mind, why? Because this is supposed to be a contest for fun and not for competitive sports. And it doesn't matter if you get any votes and it doesn't matter if you win, what matters most is that you tried your best and that you had your fun. Sure I didn't win but so what. I'll try again on something contest and try again till I win. So votes or not, you don't need them, just post what sounds right and what see what happens till then. The rest is up to you to do the rest ;)

I tend to be the voice of opposition... pretty much everywhere... I don't enjoy sitting around agreeing and I don't like dev bashing, so I end up mostly just criticizing and arguing, not by intent but by default. So when I get likes it's a rare and pleasant surprise that people actually changed their minds or that other people disagree with the louder general opinion.

But when you make 6,000 posts you're going to get a few good ones just by accident. :P

When I get significant upvotes it's more often just for a rant.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/316898-why-is-the-meta-even-the-meta/?view=findpost&p=3581274

But in that case, you were ranting for a cause and people agreed because what you said was what needed to be said and done. That's a reason why people voted your post. Because you were right and you deserved some credits for it.