Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Skin Augment Suggestion

Overlord_Hades

I know DE has been doing mod aguments and I think its obvious that more will be comeing with time so I would like to suggest one that DE and the community migh like. One of the major problem I see and hear about rhinos (and notice myself being one) is that while his character feel like a tank he doesnt fit the role as well a he could so I have an idea for an iron skin augment that can help increase the want for rhino team play while also rewarding the player for it (increaseing the chance for teamwork and decrease the want to roam as a rhino). So here it is:

Iron skin agugment (DE can name it):
When Iron skin is cast all players within a certian range of rhino will be shielded in the buff by X% of the abilitys total defense, and the rhino will have his own iron skin durabilty increased by X% per player shielded.(basically your shareing iron skin with the team)

With this type of augment rhino shield his teammates giveing him a greater role as a support tank, while still being able to feel rewarded for doing his job the right way. I think something like this would help not only the reputation of rhino but allow for a disallusion of his current role in the game (selfish n00b frame with no interest in teamwork, because thats not how all rhinos play or feel).

So what do you all think, would you like to see an ability like this ? Do you think  rhinos skin should be bufed with this ability or should that part be left out ? What type of values would you thinkto put in places of the X that would be fair ? Give me constructive feed back and thank you for your time.

Edited by Overlord_Hades

Well, in most cases Rhino is not the problem, are the players. 98% of the Rhino Primes i have met only know the number 3, and the Boltor Prime.

Edit: I like the idea, that way some Rhinos could be more useful to the team.

Edited by DarkLordX2

Well, in most cases Rhino is not the problem, are the players. 98% of the Rhino Primes i have met only know the number 3, and the Boltor Prime.

Edit: I like the idea, that way some Rhinos could be more useful to the team.

Thats what I mean, he needs more teamplay, make him more useful for those later levels. Giveing out his signature ablity I think would be great for teamplay. Then he could help passivly and or activly without a huge shift in playstyle. I love tanks, thats why I picked him but sometimes I feel like theres a disconnect with the team and I want to fix that.

That does sound like a neat and desirable augment it's like rhino's equivalent of smoke shadow. If there is going to be an increase to armor based on the number of players shielded I'd imagine it wouldn't be all that high but  a little bonus would help him out against higher enemies who will start to rip through IS faster.  They possibly hard cap it at like maybe 15% for example or lower if DE feels that's too much so you aren't getting like 50%-100% increase from crazy power heavy builds. IS could serve as an extra second or two to react to being shot at. It's not like rhino can draw aggro of an entire mob and keep it so he can't effectively tank in the same sense as classes in other games unless I'm just ignorant to 'threat' generating abilities tank frames that seem to go unnoticed. So having him help out by actively shielding everyone would help fill that role.

I feel sorry for rhino and frost to be out tanked by limbo due to his invulnerability. Limbo is balanced by not being able to kill things fast so passing rhino an augment like that will help him out for sure when enemies are like level 40+ Hydroid got a healing ability augment so damage mitigation for the team doesn't sound out of the question. Interested in how they approach balancing it though it may have increased energy cost added to it when unshielded squad mates get shielded

It's an augment I would definitely want to use in a team setting whenever I'm running rhino. Perhaps the iron skin that gets placed on squad mates will only be a percentage of the original iron skin and not the full 100%  of the value rhino gets so that squishies are still squishies they just have more time to react and have an extra cushion to soften damage?

Iron Skin Augments, huh?

I guess I'd like to see an augment that works like -

"Iron Skin gets more resistance to particular damage types if it has been hit with that damage type recently"

So it'd basically get a healthy resistance buff against a damage type if the attack is continuously hitting it. Think like 10% resist per effect stack and maybe have it stackable 5 times for a full 50% resist vs a damage type.

Iron Skin Augments, huh?

"Iron Skin gets more resistance to particular damage types if it has been hit with that damage type recently"

So it'd basically get a healthy resistance buff against a damage type if the attack is continuously hitting it. Think like 10% resist per effect stack and maybe have it stackable 5 times for a full 50% resist vs a damage type.

That would be cool, but remember that the whole idea was to place rhino in a more supportive role.  Perhaps this augment would apply to teammates as well as yourself.

This is true. Most Boltor Prime-weilding Rhino players are selfish hallway heroes. As much as I like the idea, I doubt it'll make Rhino "more supportive". Augments are something you need to equip - so if past events are anything to go by, I doubt your typical Rhino player will even look at it.

Do Iron skin really need these much effect ? 

Iron skin is not that overpowered, especially not in high level play. Another thing you have you have to consider is that by using ability augments you're actually sacrificing a mod slot in your warframe which is sort of a big sacrifice so the augment should be worth it.

That would be cool, but remember that the whole idea was to place rhino in a more supportive role.  Perhaps this augment would apply to teammates as well as yourself.

I've never actually thought of Rhino as support in the sense that he should be spending his time buffing his squad. He's a beefy frame who is a little more capable of being in the thick of a nasty crowd of enemies than other Warframes.

So, naturally, I tend to think Augments should be a little more 'selfish' on Rhino. They should play around making him beefier and more capable of staying the center of attention. His appearance makes him out to be a bit of a juggernaut so it'd be nice if that was how he backed up his squad.

Just my 2 cents.

That does sound like a neat and desirable augment it's like rhino's equivalent of smoke shadow. If there is going to be an increase to armor based on the number of players shielded I'd imagine it wouldn't be all that high but  a little bonus would help him out against higher enemies who will start to rip through IS faster.  They possibly hard cap it at like maybe 15% for example or lower if DE feels that's too much so you aren't getting like 50%-100% increase from crazy power heavy builds. IS could serve as an extra second or two to react to being shot at. It's not like rhino can draw aggro of an entire mob and keep it so he can't effectively tank in the same sense as classes in other games unless I'm just ignorant to 'threat' generating abilities tank frames that seem to go unnoticed. So having him help out by actively shielding everyone would help fill that role.

I feel sorry for rhino and frost to be out tanked by limbo due to his invulnerability. Limbo is balanced by not being able to kill things fast so passing rhino an augment like that will help him out for sure when enemies are like level 40+ Hydroid got a healing ability augment so damage mitigation for the team doesn't sound out of the question. Interested in how they approach balancing it though it may have increased energy cost added to it when unshielded squad mates get shielded

It's an augment I would definitely want to use in a team setting whenever I'm running rhino. Perhaps the iron skin that gets placed on squad mates will only be a percentage of the original iron skin and not the full 100%  of the value rhino gets so that squishies are still squishies they just have more time to react and have an extra cushion to soften damage?

You basically hit the nail on the head. Im looking to make rhino alittle more supportive and cushion the damge his teammates take. I think giveing them the full iron skin value wouldnt be too much ofa problem though only because later on iron skin isnt the god mode button and I would like to see the ability used to its fullest potential for team play.

Iron Skin Augments, huh?

I like the idea as a rhino user but id rather give my team more support to be honest. Rhino is kind of  selfish frame so the buff to his own iron skin is the pay off here but it gives him more options for teammplay without the need to change him as a whole. However if mesa's passives are a hint to the future and all frames get tem I would like rhinos to be straight damage reduction by a percet of something like this that applys to him in and out of iron skin. Good suggestion though as an alternative.

This is true. Most Boltor Prime-weilding Rhino players are selfish hallway heroes. As much as I like the idea, I doubt it'll make Rhino "more supportive". Augments are something you need to equip - so if past events are anything to go by, I doubt your typical Rhino player will even look at it.

Maybe not your typical but some will and those will be the rhinos you want on high level missions and end game defense and surviva runs. Plus with the buff to iron skin for shielding teammates its actually in his best interest to not hallway hero or ateast visit the team every now and again to buff himself if anything. Even if its for a selfish reason he would be doing some good and heping the team so i think it would apeal o more rhinos then you would think.

Iron Skin Augments, huh?

OP idea is cool aswell as this one, i would call it "Adaptive Skin"

Rhino doesn't need any buffs. A large portion of people that play him are mindless and just run around with a boltor prime and are completely lacking any kind of team play. He is already a very well off frame. While something like applying a percentage of iron skin to allies in the same area like smoke bomb as mentioned above it would go to waste majority of the time due to the lack of team play a large portion of rhino players show.

Average rhino player=iron skin, spam stomp or charge while rushing ahead of everyone holding down left click with the boltor prime.

Rhino doesn't need any buffs. A large portion of people that play him are mindless and just run around with a boltor prime and are completely lacking any kind of team play. He is already a very well off frame. While something like applying a percentage of iron skin to allies in the same area like smoke bomb as mentioned above it would go to waste majority of the time due to the lack of team play a large portion of rhino players show.

Average rhino player=iron skin, spam stomp or charge while rushing ahead of everyone holding down left click with the boltor prime.

Actually those of us who are not "average" Rhino /RhinoPrime players DO need a buff to IS...

It's nowhere near as effective as it could or should be late in the game...

I'm not saying a buff that makes T4's a solo faceroll or anything...No frame should be able to do that...

It's tricky though...too buff and it's just unfair...too little and there's no difference...

I have no idea what would be good and useful or bad and unbalanced/useless.

I DO know that I go down ALMOST (but juuuuuust not quite) as easily in missions on late planets/moons as other frames.

I will admit sometimes it is my fault..I'm not perfect,I make mistakes...but even when I do everything right there are those times when I'm bleeding out going "Ok...WHAT just happened?". Those times when nothing near you SHOULD kill you...and yet here you are..shields gone,IS gone,life....gone...

like you blink and die.

Oh,and ALL the frames are "Well Off"...doesn't mean their abilities don't need adjustments or buffs on occasion.

The game keeps progressing and moving forward,enemies become more varied and more powerful to fight against us....and we still have the same abilities. Our enemies change and grow,why don't we?

So you would like him to stay like that, have no teamplay and lack any kind of teamwork as an alternative. This is an augmented skill discussion, not a buff iron skin because I think it needs it thread. The point is to have rhino be a more supportive frame. If the augment works well for both parties then it has the chance to change how the community sees and plays him. We all know the sterio typical rhino player, but thats not what this is about, its about breaking the mold for those of us who actually care for team play and recognise that this is a team game. I dont think it would be a wasted skinn, i think itd be a game changer for rhino players to pull back and be the frame we want it to be.

I'd rather see an Augment to Roar that drastically increases Rhino's threat, allowing him to pull Agro while everyone's damage is buffed.

Personally Id rather see them just put the aggro back on iron skin passively then make it a mod augment for roar, mostly because duration would effect that heavily and it might not pay off. And most rhinos are more likely to use iron skin the roar. However if it becomes a thing and people picked it up Id support it.

Actually those of us who are not "average" Rhino /RhinoPrime players DO need a buff to IS...

It's nowhere near as effective as it could or should be late in the game...

I'm not saying a buff that makes T4's a solo faceroll or anything...No frame should be able to do that...

It's tricky though...too buff and it's just unfair...too little and there's no difference...

I have no idea what would be good and useful or bad and unbalanced/useless.

I DO know that I go down ALMOST (but juuuuuust not quite) as easily in missions on late planets/moons as other frames.

I will admit sometimes it is my fault..I'm not perfect,I make mistakes...but even when I do everything right there are those times when I'm bleeding out going "Ok...WHAT just happened?". Those times when nothing near you SHOULD kill you...and yet here you are..shields gone,IS gone,life....gone...

like you blink and die.

Oh,and ALL the frames are "Well Off"...doesn't mean their abilities don't need adjustments or buffs on occasion.

The game keeps progressing and moving forward,enemies become more varied and more powerful to fight against us....and we still have the same abilities. Our enemies change and grow,why don't we?

I think iron skin could use some better scaleing for late game missions but if you have a good team and are careful your survivability is still vastly better then other frames. Its be nice but I dont think he needs a buff to stats, i think he needs better teamplay, hence the mod idea.

I don't get why people insist that Warframe has an active tank role when there is no aggro mechanic (except for Absorb)...

Because frost, rhino and certian health frames fit the fighter nitch of difficult to kill while stll being able to put in work, makeing them a distraction if your team sits back and you grab the enemies attention. There isnt a actual aggro mechnic but if you get close enough the enemies will ignor your team and focus you giveing the illusion of pulling aggro. Thus they fit the role. Plus look at their design, are you telling me rhino doesnt look like a tank ?

Because frost, rhino and certian health frames fit the fighter nitch of difficult to kill while stll being able to put in work, makeing them a distraction if your team sits back and you grab the enemies attention. There isnt a actual aggro mechnic but if you get close enough the enemies will ignor your team and focus you giveing the illusion of pulling aggro. Thus they fit the role. Plus look at their design, are you telling me rhino doesnt look like a tank ?

You're going off the fact that there is NO active tank mechanic; You even go off to saying it's an "illusion of pulling aggro". None whatsoever. Especially since the only time people in a squad are close together is close to never and enemies can be anywhere. If you wanna go and base it on "tanking" abilities Valkyr and Trinity will beat Rhino any day.

But that's beside the point. I actually agree on the Iron Skin augment concept.

Edited by AoiiToori

You're going off the fact that there is NO active tank mechanic; You even go off to saying it's an "illusion of pulling aggro". None whatsoever. Especially since the only time people in a squad are close together is close to never and enemies can be anywhere. If you wanna go and base it on "tanking" abilities Valkyr and Trinity will beat Rhino any day.

Yea because they have invincability mechanics, I never said he was the best at it but its his role, you wanna tell me what you think rhions role is if its not to be a super tanky distraction ? cause his move set doesnt suggest caster, and if it does then he need a buff because hes nowhere near a good one. Is he a support ? once again  only has 1 buff ability and its not that long. It makes more sense that hes a "tank", he buffs himself to get in there and soak damage. Why else would he have iron skin (a move that origionally made him invincible and drew aggro). He was ment to fit a tanking role. He has survivability and a bit off CC, i think he just needs an extra push twords supporting and the aggro back on skin and hes golden. How is it not obvious he is supposed to fit the tank role ?

Yea because they have invincability mechanics, I never said he was the best at it but its his role, you wanna tell me what you think rhions role is if its not to be a super tanky distraction ? cause his move set doesnt suggest caster, and if it does then he need a buff because hes nowhere near a good one. Is he a support ? once again  only has 1 buff ability and its not that long. It makes more sense that hes a "tank", he buffs himself to get in there and soak damage. Why else would he have iron skin (a move that origionally made him invincible and drew aggro). He was ment to fit a tanking role. He has survivability and a bit off CC, i think he just needs an extra push twords supporting and the aggro back on skin and hes golden. How is it not obvious he is supposed to fit the tank role ?

His role is as any other frame. Use everything in his arsenal to complete the mission.

My point was that there is no such thing as "roles" in this game. You play however you want as long as you contribute to the team. You can call trin or limbo as support or caster or whatever but at the end of the day they're just using their abilities depending on the situation. Saying Rhino needs to be "main tank" is impossible since the mechanic isn't even present here. Tanking would mean drawing every gunfire and attacks toward you but how will you accomplish that when every enemy is firing equally at everyone.

I never said Rhino shouldn't get any sort of readjustments. 

Edited by AoiiToori