Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Talos Principle: Portal Done Seriously.

TheErebus.

Portal. Practically everyone knows of it. It's a game made by Valve that uses portals in order to solve puzzles.

Both Portal 1 and Portal 2 were dearly loved by many gamers around the world.

Except me.

I hated it. I found it boring beyond reason. This is because I'm not a fan of puzzle games. Not in the slightest. 

So you could imagine how I felt when I saw Croteam (You know...the ones who made the Serious Sam games...yes...those games) released a game not 3-4 days ago called "The Talos Principle". The moment I saw it on the steam stores, I told myself "Oh look, another portal-esque game". But to my surprise...it had a demo.

Yeah, A DEMO!

Remember those? Those small test parts of the game that you can buy from the store or even download it online to get a small sample of how the game is like and then you can make your choice in either buying it or not? Well Croteam have been nice enough to give us that.

So I said "meh" and I downloaded it. It gave me three puzzles to do.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/330710/

Here is the link to the demo page for the game.

When I tried it...I got hooked.

It didn't have the blandness of the Portal games and was a very serious game with some very well thought out puzzle mechanics. 

So I bought the game as soon as I finished the demo, and I'm just gonna say it right here and right now...

This game is amazing.

It is by far, the most enjoyable, the most frustrating, the most thought provoking puzzle game I have played in a very long time. 

I urge you guys who are into these kind of games to try it out. Believe me, you wont regret it.

Hell, the creator of Minecraft "Notch" and the creator of the game Antechamber said this about the game:

https://twitter.com/Demruth/status/539824934524956673

https://twitter.com/notch/status/543145262416687105

giphy.gif

I love Portal 2 (haven´t played first one *sadface*), both single-player and Co-Op, so I might be interested on this.

However, when I checked the link you gave, it seems quite...challenging...which I like.

giphy.gif

It's challenging, but the best part is that even though it's tough there is always that one thing that makes you click. You start getting the stuff together and then you finally understand what you need to do.

I hate puzzle games but I loved Portal. What now? :O

Some puzzle games I have played always had ridiculous and illogical puzzles. Throw a stick at a bird, the bird drops a coin, give the coin to a dog, the dog barks at you, you are scared and you run on a tree, find an acorn, drop the acorn in a sewer and open a portal to the 9th circle of hell. OR keep looking for that one part that you have missed during your 1 hour search throughout the level. OR you are given a puzzle that offers no explanation and you basically have to do it by trial and error which is never fun.

Portal didn't have any problems like that. You were given a puzzle / a challenge, you knew exactly what did what and you had to figure out how to make everything work.

I hate puzzle games but I loved Portal. What now? :O

Some puzzle games I have played always had ridiculous and illogical puzzles. Throw a stick at a bird, the bird drops a coin, give the coin to a dog, the dog barks at you, you are scared and you run on a tree, find an acorn, drop the acorn in a sewer and open a portal to the 9th circle of hell. OR keep looking for that one part that you have missed during your 1 hour search throughout the level. OR you are given a puzzle that offers no explanation and you basically have to do it by trial and error which is never fun.

Portal didn't have any problems like that. You were given a puzzle / a challenge, you knew exactly what did what and you had to figure out how to make everything work.

The problem I had with Portal was that it was boring. The Portal aspect fun at first, but everything beganto feel the same. I also disliked the story (what little there is) and felt that event though they worked so hard on it and it clearly showed, I felt that the puzzle aspect was too much for me. I think maybe it's the portals themselves, they made me feel like I had no idea what do to because I'd doubt myself and eventually just gave up.

With The Talos Principle, there was nothing like that. In portal you had one main aspect and you focused on that in its entirety. The portals. In Talos principle, you have to use so many items in tandem with one another. The puzzles become complex but as you solve it, they turn out to be very simple. Hell, the titles of the puzzles you do are sometimes hints on how you can solve the puzzle.