Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proposed Implimentation Of Gender Changes For Warframe Types

2ply

Hello Tenno,

There has been a lot of talk of gender changes for Warframes. Many players would love to have Ash be a female, or for Ember to be a male.

Some suggest that developers should just make a new skin to put over these warframes a new gender skin! Let me just say that I feel that this is only half the solution. I would like to suggest what I think is a better possible solution to this idea.

This solution will actually need to add to the lore of Warframe itself this is the only way I think these opposite gender same warframe types will work. So below is this solution, please feel free to add to it, or to point out areas that you feel could use some work or are just wrong. 

Let us establish that warframes are suits of armor, and Tenno are the individuals that are inside the suit using its powers for battle. Each warframe has a name, because the warframes have names they too have individual identities even though they are just suits. The Tenno are also in need of a name, but that is YOU and your player name of choice.

To make a female Ash would be impossible as Ash is the name given to the male warframe avatar, to simply change the skin would be one thing but that in turn would add an additional warfame to the mix and with that a need for a story and a new name with an explanation. I would like to attempt that in the following.

This is the part where I suggest some lore to go along with what we already have established. In this Lore the Warframes are suits of Armor found in different areas of the galaxy, the Saryn warframe was discovered on Sedna and this warframe will be the example I use to continue this suggested expansion.

Saryn is difffent than the other warframes, her powers are different, she looks different but the one thing she does have in common with all the other warframes is that Saryn is a suit of armor.

In the lore each Warframe is actually and simply an avatar of a once powerful warrior from one of many extinct races out in space, the Tenno are also a race of these warriors and their avatar is Excalibur found on Pluto...the Tenno are the only surviving race of many ancient warriors in the galaxy and at one point all of these races worked together to fight evil. All the races had their own abilities and traits, individuality and home planets and of course their own warframes made in their own image.

In this lore there are Avatars of both genders from every planet that warframes are discoverd, the only thing is some of the opposite genders have yet to be discovered. Perhaps one day we will find them all. To find a male warframe from the planet Sedna for example, that has powers just like those of Saryn, and who resembles Saryn in appearance with similar features because they are of the same race. 

So the Tenno are the only surviving race out of an ancient network of warriors that have been fighting the good fight, they were all once united, all of the races worked together using their warframe powers in harmony to create the ultimate force to stop those who threaten the galaxy...but something happened and all but the Tenno was wiped from the Galaxy.

The Tenno had to escape into cryo sleep to prevent their own demise only to wake in a future time where all the other races of warriors have been completely wiped from the stars...all that was left were scattered blueprints of their once powerful warframes it was discoverd that the blueprints have been taken into possesion by the Grineer, the Corpus and the Infested...

The Tenno know that in order to bring justice and peace to the stars once again they will need the power of all the warframes in order to thwart the enemies that plan to destory them, so they are charged with the task of seeking out the blueprints, while also searching for more of their sleeping Tenno kin...for it is they alone who must dawn the armor of their fallen allies of the past and use the tremendous powers in those warframes together like the days of old to stop the evil presence that has taken over the galaxy....

So in this lore the actual warframes themself are AVATARS not actual people...they are suits that once belonged to very powerful individual warriors from each race on each planet, that is why the Saryn warframe has a name, the warframe once belonged to Saryn of Sedna a beautiful and deadly warrior that had powers untold. Now we search to find a male warframe avatar from Sedna and the search continues.

The solution might not be so EASY,  but perhaps now the developers can make a new SKIN to put over the warframes with a new name and new gender. The newly created avatar skin and name have a purpose and identity with potential for a backstory.

Edited by 2ply

I thought you said you were going to bed and for someone to wake you up if the glaive BP alert comes. You came here instead ! Im sure they will add male female skins for all in time mate. Maybe just low down their list atm thats all.

If they want to make male/female versions of each frame, i prefer them to have different stats/powers like different warframes. I'd rather have more warframes than copies of the current ones. >_>

The topic was not new warframes...you do know that takes LOTS of time...the topic was gender changes..and YES this is a rather desired change.

Just thought I would clear that up, but like you I TOO want MOAR!!

I thought you said you were going to bed and for someone to wake you up if the glaive BP alert comes. You came here instead ! Im sure they will add male female skins for all in time mate. Maybe just low down their list atm thats all.

Actually I said I was going AFK for a break to watch some TV....and to call me if the Glaive Alert came up =P  But yea I needed to get some ideas out on the forums! And I will probably be back in Council chat to produce random jibberish soon enough.

This is a pretty well developed concept, choice is always good when it comes to character "customization" and gender-locking is something that really puts me off, I really love all of the Warframe designs thou.

Thanks Grabehn, I kinda thought of this on the fly in council chat today. I figure if they are going to add some new genders to the frames we need to know how that is even possible. I appreciate your reply.

Hmm. Sounds cool on paper.

But for that, they would have to change the story they created into something that fits both genders. I dont see this happening....

Still a cool idea

Edited by Venarge

Hmm. Sounds cool on paper.

But for that, they would have to change the story they created into something that fits both genders. I dont see this happening....

Still a cool idea

Well, here's hoping they can maybe take some ideas from it, or at least encourage a logical resolution for gender change options!

Thanks for the reply!

prefer treating each suit of armor like mecha (with their own inherent gender characteristics; refer to gundams and zone of the enders) and leaving it at that. You can pretend therefore that you're the face behind the armor. leave it like that. Fluff shouldn't be what dictates your playstyle unless that's what you truly enjoy.

I really enjoy this idea, The lore behind Warframe is still under construction is seems.

I like how you placed the home planet of each warframe as the area you farm the blueprints, and this also explains why you have to farm the blueprints...

Great ideas here, I can see how having each of the warframes "home planets" resemble the warframes that live there...such as RHINO having a home planet that is all stone and statue with large strong looking pillars and having Ember's home planet all firey and chaotic...

It would be nice to have gender changes I like that idea too...Great stuff!

prefer treating each suit of armor like mecha (with their own inherent gender characteristics; refer to gundams and zone of the enders) and leaving it at that. You can pretend therefore that you're the face behind the armor. leave it like that. Fluff shouldn't be what dictates your playstyle unless that's what you truly enjoy.

Honestly I never followed any anime, but with those suits did the pilots of the suits match the gender of the suit or was there like a guy piloting a female suit? I just never seen that stuff just curious.

I really enjoy this idea, The lore behind Warframe is still under construction is seems.

I like how you placed the home planet of each warframe as the area you farm the blueprints, and this also explains why you have to farm the blueprints...

Great ideas here, I can see how having each of the warframes "home planets" resemble the warframes that live there...such as RHINO having a home planet that is all stone and statue with large strong looking pillars and having Ember's home planet all firey and chaotic...

It would be nice to have gender changes I like that idea too...Great stuff!

Thanks for the input on that one, I like your idea of having the planets that the warframes come from resemble the warframes characteristics..thats a really great additon to the post and would help to diversify the maps greatly!

Edited by 2ply

Good idea, like the lore, gives more "body" to the game, though currrently you are only exposed to a very limited amount. Would like to have more lore revealed as you progress in missions and areas, like how thedifferent factions came to be,origins of Tennos and the fall of the Prominent etc.