Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Npc Warframes/tenno - Something That Should Be Added?

Morec0

There is still a lot of debate around whether or not such characters as the Arbiters of Hexis and Red Veil and those civilians we have are actually Tenno or not, and because of that debate we get a lot of differing interpretations of the lore and what the Tenno can and cannot do and sort of who they are.

Personally, I think this stems from the fact that the outfits supposed Tenno (yeah, you see where I hinge on this whole matter) wear have a vague resemblance to our own Warframes, but at the same time they are noticeably different from most anything we have seen. Not to mention we have yet to see these characters do anything that is distinctly Tenno - using frame abilities and the like.

So there is a very simple question I'd like to pose:

Would you want to see NPC Tenno characters? That is, Tenno, in full Warframe's that we already have (Ash, Loki, ect.) hanging around in the Relay or appearing as full named characters or whatnot - characters that we can be completely sure ARE Tenno.

OR

Would prefer that NO NPC Tenno ever come into existence, in order to preserve the sense of "player as Tenno" and that every Tenno and Warframe in the game IS a person by virtue of having a player behind them or for some other reasons?

---

Personally, I'd like to see these NPC Tenno, since I feel doing so would allow for means by which to convey lore information in a way that would be seen as unbiased from the standpoint of the playerbase.

Edited by Morec0

Please write 'NPC' in the title instead of 'Non-PC'. 

'Non-PC Warframes/Tenno' can be interpreted as players who do not play Warframe on a PC (i.e.: Non-PC, because PS4 and XB1 is not a PC). 

Anyways, on-topic, would Tenno Spectres already count as Tenno NPC?

Thing is, the Warframe specters are cited to be distinctly NON-Tenno - they're more like a construct using a Warframe as a base, rather than an actual Tenno that you can walk up to and, say, illicit a response from by bowing or something.

And that's a valid point I didn't consider, I'll change that.

Thing is, the Warframe specters are cited to be distinctly NON-Tenno - they're more like a construct using a Warframe as a base, rather than an actual Tenno that you can walk up to and, say, illicit a response from by bowing or something.

To be honest, they are half a Tenno. They can be used for simple tasks that a Tenno could do and such (and also do some things Tenno can do as well, so there is that). 

To be honest, they are half a Tenno. They can be used for simple tasks that a Tenno could do and such (and also do some things Tenno can do as well, so there is that). 

I disagree there, given there is a line to be drawn between Tenno and their Warframes - a line which rests on "who has the powers". Since the answer to that is "the Warframe" and we deploy these Specters more like a Pokemon that we see ourselves entering a battle, I conclude they are not actual Tenno but, as I said, a sort of construct with a Warframe as the base.

But this is getting off topic.

Edited by Morec0

Are you talking about something similar to how Destiny has NPC guardians like the Vanguard council. But have like higher up/leader Tenno in the relays or just around to expand the lore?

..Because I think that could be could if done right. But I would much rather have the NPC in the game expanded upon and fleshed out more, esp the syndicate reps. 

Personally, I can't see an issue with there being NPC Tenno.

After all, the whole 'Silent' shtick is because of the stated intent to allow for Immersion of the player in the Warframe of their choice. A given personality, with lines, is a character you 'watch' rather than 'play'. You 'watch' Skye of Sanctum more than 'play' her, seeing as it is her laughing madly when enough things get gibbed, not you. Well, perhaps both but still...

Personally, as a direct result of both my theories and my interpretation of things, I've admittedly 'named' a few of my loadouts representative of distinct Tenno character's due to fooling about. Now, whilst I may not actually RP in game, because that'd be weird/stupidly inpractical, it is nice to basically boot up the game, grab said character's loadout page and use that to 'get in their head' for writing purposes. Yeah, I do this with most games I have; character design/gear as writing prop.

So a similar sort of deal for an NPC Tenno. It won't, least in my view, break 'lore' if there's an NPC Ash or whatnot wandering about the relays or something now and again, doing whatever it is they do. Heck, it could even resolve the question of 'Tenno naming conventions' for writing purposes...or not, most likely.

Bah. Why not? Done right, it can't hurt.

Are you talking about something similar to how Destiny has NPC guardians like the Vanguard council. But have like higher up/leader Tenno in the relays or just around to expand the lore?

..Because I think that could be could if done right. But I would much rather have the NPC in the game expanded upon and fleshed out more, esp the syndicate reps. 

Well, that would depend on how they are introduced, but my go-to thought IS hanging around in Relays to expand the lore.

And yeah, the current Syndicate rep NPCs and whonot DEFINITELY need AT LEAST A FREAKIN' NAME DE!

Seriously, guys, I'LL name your characters if you want! It's not that hard!

Personally, I can't see an issue with there being NPC Tenno.

After all, the whole 'Silent' shtick is because of the stated intent to allow for Immersion of the player in the Warframe of their choice. A given personality, with lines, is a character you 'watch' rather than 'play'. You 'watch' Skye of Sanctum more than 'play' her, seeing as it is her laughing madly when enough things get gibbed, not you. Well, perhaps both but still...

Personally, as a direct result of both my theories and my interpretation of things, I've admittedly 'named' a few of my loadouts representative of distinct Tenno character's due to fooling about. Now, whilst I may not actually RP in game, because that'd be weird/stupidly inpractical, it is nice to basically boot up the game, grab said character's loadout page and use that to 'get in their head' for writing purposes. Yeah, I do this with most games I have; character design/gear as writing prop.

So a similar sort of deal for an NPC Tenno. It won't, least in my view, break 'lore' if there's an NPC Ash or whatnot wandering about the relays or something now and again, doing whatever it is they do. Heck, it could even resolve the question of 'Tenno naming conventions' for writing purposes...or not, most likely.

Bah. Why not? Done right, it can't hurt.

I do the naming-loadouts-based-on-RP-characters thing too...

Still, because of the fact it is mentioned by Alad V to be a characteristic of the Tenno during The Profit rather than JUST a Dev statement of "they don't have voice actors because we want players to feel this" (though that is ALSO true), I'm not sure it can be WHOLLY chalked up to JUST that player immersion. But that's my take on it, and I'll be happy to be proven wrong at any time.

Oh, and Tenno naming conventions are ALSO something I'd love to see - again, got my own idea of what... less willing to be proven incorrect on that, though.

Edited by Morec0

Now that I think about it, why the people in the relays don't talk? And why are they using those suits? And for the love of god, why women doesn't have eyes?

NO character has has a mask over their face while their lower face is exposed has eyes - save for the New Loka leader, for whatever reason.