Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I Get Transistor?

Imaru

i've heard a lot of good things about it, but i've also heard that it's very, very, very similar to Bastion.

Edit:

on the topic of good deals though, here's some gems that not everyone finds.

Don't Starve

The Ball

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages    (this is one hell of a gem)

Hard Reset

Gimbal

Interstellar Marines

Mind: Path to Thalamus

The Darkness II    (the original is supposed to be quite good as well, but it's a Console Exclusive so idc)

NecroVision

Magicite

Plain Sight

Super Splatters

TerraTech

just to name a few. always good to circle around some of the gems that deserve more attention.

Edited by taiiat

The story is a little all over the place, but they have a really interesting skill and combat system. You can take every single skill and use it either as, well, skill, skill-augment or passive buff - and unlock additional background lore, too.

Never played Bastion. Is that similarity good?

In this case: Yes. It's similar in that you have a base to which you can return every now and then to do skill-tests (which give additional XP if successful), you can activate AI-buffs that grant additional XP in return, stuff like that. You might see similarities in the story if you zoom out really far, but then again you can do this for almost everything. There are other similarities like general art style, the silent protagonist and Logan Cunningham as narrator, but all in all there are enough differences that you don't feel like playing the same game again. So yes, go get it while it's cheap.

Edited by Bibliothekar

Never played Bastion. Is that similarity good? 

well, good or bad depends on each person. Bastion was responded quite well, so being quite similar can be considered good, because that means it's something that's also probably good.

but you also could say that means that Transistor could theoretically be stretched into being a different setting and story for the 'same' game.

which most likely isn't true, but that's the reason of pointing that out, that people have said it shares quite a few similarities in it's major components with Bastion.

ultimately that doesn't necessarily mean something bad, that's far from the first time games have borrowed things from each other. it's just something to be mentioned.

Atmosphere and music are top notch, gameplay could be better.

Agreed. The world and story is pretty unique and the music and atmosphere is awesome. The gameplay is alright i guess. It's a big like Dragon Age, you can stop time and plan or just fight. The different "spells" (Functions) are fun, but configuring them is the worst part of the game.