Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make Infested Scarier

simeo77

I'm aware that this game isn't a horror game but the infested really reminds me of Dead Space and I would really love for infested missions to project an even more scarier atmosphere, be it through music or environment graphics.

Lights flickering, infested bursting out from places you will never expect and a change of music will do just that.

It probably isn't gonna be top priority though given that this isn't a horror game.

Upvoted.

I think some of what you guys are suggesting is also in this thread in Gameplay Feedback (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/41946-new-mission-type-virulent-infestation/ )

Some things I would like to see as far as maps go, is higher meat moss (the stuff that grows from floor/walls in Infested missions) with infested that hide inside of it. Think Jurassic Park with the tall grass and the raptors. You know there's something in there. You know it wants to kill you. But you don't know where it is. You don't know where it's coming from. You don't know when it will attack, how, where... But you know it will. I think that would be a great addition to infested levels. Maybe have it up to waist high on the warframes consistently or even chest/shoulder high. 

Also, does anyone else hear cicada sounds in some of the infested sound bites?

The "meat moss" needs  a mesh fix, because bullets and bolts will actually hit it - and not do any damage, rather than the legs of the ancient infested you're aiming at. Maybe if that was fixed, then making it taller would be an option. 

But there is a community of players who already have a revulsion to the current meat-moss, I can't see them being happier with more of it. 

JRMC, on 30 Apr 2013 - 3:09 PM, said:

They ARE scary.

They walk with their back and head flailing behind their backs and Ancient's arms can trespass bodies and walls. While Chargers will rape you 'til you bleed and they all make funny but scary noises.

But when Stalker shows up, you know you're going to be fucked - literally. Them lights start to flicker and then a creepy whisper comes over next to ear and you poop your pants - or in this case, your armor.

I lol'd

We need spiders. That would get people flustered I'm sure. Like a combo of Corpus and Grineer, The Thing style spiders that is. Groaning and moaning.

That or we have Michael Jackson appear with some infested goons and start doing Thriller. 

Edited by Naith

The "meat moss" needs  a mesh fix, because bullets and bolts will actually hit it - and not do any damage, rather than the legs of the ancient infested you're aiming at. Maybe if that was fixed, then making it taller would be an option. 

But there is a community of players who already have a revulsion to the current meat-moss, I can't see them being happier with more of it. 

Well it's not like it's supposed to be cotton candy. It's supposed to look nasty and icky and scary. That's why I like it. Also, the fact that the bolts and bullets hits it kind of sucks, but that can be taken out. That, or you'll have to use melee while in the waist/shoulder high Meat-Moss. 

Well it's not like it's supposed to be cotton candy. It's supposed to look nasty and icky and scary. That's why I like it. Also, the fact that the bolts and bullets hits it kind of sucks, but that can be taken out. That, or you'll have to use melee while in the waist/shoulder high Meat-Moss. 

No no no, the "moss" has a hitbox of it's for some reason. Which means any and all attacks will register on it and not your target. Making it taller will just create a chest high mass of steel wool that absorbs all of your hits. 

The hitbox needs to be removed, whether or not the moss is made taller.

As for it looking nasty - my point was more, people have a Trypophobic reaction rather than a "ew that's gross" kind of one. 

The atmosphere for Infested maps are well suited, but the infested themselves look slightly cartoon-ish. Making them appear scarier could go a long way (I know that is very vague -- but its hard to pin what is scary for everyone.) 

One thing I would change about infested maps though, is any time you're on a ship with an intercom it would be creepy if instead of the voice coming on it was just soft static.

So occasionally you'd hear the intercom *Ding* then hear soft static while wading through a derelict ship instead of warnings about guard rail safety. Maybe there could even be a may-day call out on a ship that has been infested that comes over the intercom.

Edited by Grand-Dozer

The atmosphere for Infested maps are well suited, but the infested themselves look slightly cartoon-ish. Making them appear scarier could go a long way (I know that is very vague -- but its hard to pin what is scary for everyone.) 

One thing I would change about infested maps though, is any time you're on a ship with an intercom it would be creepy if instead of the voice coming on it was just soft static.

So occasionally you'd hear the intercom *Ding* then hear soft static while wading through a derelict ship instead of warnings about guard rail safety. Maybe there could even be a may-day call out on a ship that has been infested that comes over the intercom.

That's a great idea. 

Would be equally unnerving is Lotus's directives got cut out / washed with static. 

That's a great idea. 

Would be equally unnerving is Lotus's directives got cut out / washed with static. 

These are great ideas and would definitely make the levels scarier. I also love the idea of relying on your flashlight more, such as entering a level and the Infested take the core offline and the power goes out.

​And what about rooms becoming infested themselves? Eyes forming on the walls, following you as you move; probably function like cameras to alert the hoard, and you can shoot them out with gory satisfaction. Maybe on some of the further-gone ships and bases, the intercoms have twisted into malformed mouths to utter insane gibberish throughout the levels, and in conjunction with the eyes, will unleash a cry to alert Infested when spotted.

That's a great idea. 

+2 The Audio needs more atmosphere.

I used to think the "meat moss" actually did something in infested missions so I would avoid walking through it. Now that I know it does absolutely nothing I don't even think about it anymore. It would be good if the moss would slow you down and/or hurt you.

Could we like get a powerful infested boss that randomly spawns and can't be killed. somewhat similar to the rogue warframe but much more dangerous. It of course would not spawn on defence missions or extermination missions. To put it simple. Add pyramid head like boss that if you don't run from then you are #*($%%@. Possibly similar attacks as the golem infested boss (poison darts).

Edited by DrTeaSpoon

Could we like get a powerful infested boss that randomly spawns and can't be killed. somewhat similar to the rogue warframe but much more dangerous. It of course would not spawn on defence missions or extermination missions. To put it simple. Add pyramid head like boss that if you don't run from then you are #*($%%@. Possibly similar attacks as the golem infested boss (poison darts).

Have you suggested such idea on the council?

Biggest problem I see with that is scaling. Not everyone runs around with a level 30 warframe with max redirection/health/etc and sometimes people work on training up low warframes in high areas, either as a challenge or by slight necessity. Adding in an unbeatable boss with as for now unexplained hit mechanics and such would be much more dangerous for, say, a level 5 Loki than it would for a level 30 Rhino with 990 shields. 

I don't know the lore of exactly how the Infested work, but it would be interesting, if it's within the lore, to see some corpus or grineer in the middle of transformation. I am assuming we can't see a fresh crewman turn into an ancient, but it would be quite cool to enter a room and hear a guy in pain as his body was boiling and the infested was taking over him. Sure, it's a little like Resident Evil, but it would still seem cool. Right now all we have is infested or not infested. I'd like to see some inbetween or transformations.

This adds to the immersion of the world and the situation we're in.

Don't forget Warframe is basically a continuation of the game Dark Sector. Dark Sector explains the Technocyte Virus and its effects on people (the first symptom being a metal crust that painfully replaces skin) and the origins of the warframes, the first being Hayden Tenno, who became one due to being infected by the virus. So that would mean we're all running around as infected humans in exoskeletal armor. But the Infested have had a looooooooong time to evolve into what we see in-game when you consider the huge time gap between the two time eras the games are set in.

What if infected missions had flickering lights - like those that announce the arrival of the stalker? 

And what if you could only actually see infected when you shone your flashlight at them, otherwise they were invisible.

Oh and chargers, don't leap at you. They materialize out of thin air.

Infected suddenly 20% scarier. 

Yes, this was what I have in mind as well. Making undefeatable enemy and the way through it is stealth undetected. Enemy radar gets useful, Banshee's silence working, and running away and hiding for escape if it ever spotted us. And make it hostile to other infected as well, so we could focus on running away and not be annoyed by other infected.