Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is The Ui Called?

VampirePirate

Question

8 answers to this question

Must resist urge to be snarky about the overly flashy UI that skips on function...

Disastrous?

Anyway, yes the term they use is diegetic, which The Oxford Dictionary states is an adjective of diegesis, "A narrative or plot, typically in a film".

Another definition I found online is "Of or relating to artistic elements that are perceived as existing within the world depicted in a narrative work".

I think they are using it in the second context, and essentially the UI team are talking "In game" or "in world".

So, menus that exist as holographic popups rather than basic (by that I mean fast, functional and intuitive) UI designs that are more commonplace in games.

Edit : Of course, not all the menus are "diegetic" in game, some that are not :

User settings, options, etc.

Inventory

Trading UI

Thank you for the extra information, despite your opinion about the UI itself.

Diegetic? Or something like that...

I thank you very much for answering my question.  Also thank you for not posting something foolish like the others.

Must resist urge to be snarky about the overly flashy UI that skips on function...

Disastrous?

Anyway, yes the term they use is diegetic, which The Oxford Dictionary states is an adjective of diegesis, "A narrative or plot, typically in a film".

Another definition I found online is "Of or relating to artistic elements that are perceived as existing within the world depicted in a narrative work".

I think they are using it in the second context, and essentially the UI team are talking "In game" or "in world".

So, menus that exist as holographic popups rather than basic (by that I mean fast, functional and intuitive) UI designs that are more commonplace in games.

Edit : Of course, not all the menus are "diegetic" in game, some that are not :

User settings, options, etc.

Inventory

Trading UI

Edited by Egg_Chen