The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scammers, For Lack Of A Better Word

IANOBW

Scammers are the reason I'm not bothering with a key share group.  I'm building up a small stash of keys and then I'll have a marathon run with some friends, if they contribute to the key pool, shiny.  If not, no big.  They weren't expected to, therefore no one feels cheated nor scammed.

Yes, it's taking me a very long time to get Mesa but, far less frustration.

The practice of scamming (joining a group with the expectation of sharing a key and then bailing) is wrong.  I don't think there is much that DE can do about it at this time however, and it's on the player base to make changes that make it harder to scam.  

Sorry if I cannot find the correct words, I am no native speaker. But I have to post something here on this thread.

I cannot believe that a community moderator is making such a posting.

Since when is lieing to others and thus getting an advantage they neither deserve nor earned not "wrong"? In what kind of society do we live? There are a lot of moral aspects that should be automatically true, even if they are not enforced in any way. And lieing and getting a piece of cake that you do not deserve is not "ok".

What happens if stealing is no longer enforced against, does it become "good" then?

DE decided to make getting some keys a pain (Vay Hek e.g.), a real pain and people developed a method to get at least something more out of it. I see that it is hard for DE to make a system that enforces the keyshare, but I don't see why this is not a bannable offense if reported and proven.

I think the internet is one of the greatest developments in the history of mankind, but the anonymity that comes with it is not good for cowards, liars and scumbags. Because when I look at this thread their view of the world seems to be rewarded even.

Yes, lieing and taking advantage of others cannot be enforced in this game.

Yes, there is not much we all can do.

Yes, a negative report system can be abused.

But can't we at least all agree that doing such a thing is at the very least wrong?

And there are a lot of things that can be done:

1. Ban if proven guilty

2. positive report system

If it would happen to me, I would put the sad person on ignore and move on, not much else you can do. But it is an ugly experience and should be treated as such.

One of the worst things in the world is the invention of money. Because money means power. And with such power you can get away with things. If you are a customer and give little money, they don't want to lose you. So obviously you get away with taking advantage and lieing. If you have a lot of money, you can get away with stealing and even worse crimes.

I can tell you that if DE would be losing money through anyone taking advantage or lieing, it would not even take a week to come up with a system to prevent this, probably not even a day.

So don't come here and say it is not "wrong", because it is not enforced against.

Thank you.

Well said, I couldn't put it better. Thanks for posting this.

That's why you do this with clanmates. You trust clan mates thats been with you for a long time. Why take the risk?

the problem here is the same as the overall problem. number of available players.

not everybody is in a large clan, and even in a large clan, finding 4 players with keys that are all online isn't something that can be done on a whim.

availability. which is the same reason people are doing keyshares to begin with.

as the rush to finish mesa dies down, the keys will be easier to acquire. 

in a month to 6 weeks most of this will be resolved.

just like finding t1sab and t4sab will also become easier.

artificial scarcity & high demand are what cause this behavior.

it's a side-effect of DE's decision to wall off this content.

once they've made their bump in sales, they'll relax the restrictions.

just wait for it.

That's why you do this with clanmates. You trust clan mates thats been with you for a long time. Why take the risk?

You are right, it is much safer. In my case however, my clanmates are often not around and/or have connection issues.

I have to just trust the public most of the time.

or you can stop trying to "key share" with pugs. That in and of itself is a bad idea. NEVER do anything that requires you to rely on a pug. Thats common knowledge. (Or so I thought)

Join an active clan and stop playing with pugs.

"Join an active clan" he says hahaha, I guess being the warlord and founder of a large and active clan isn't enough these days. I can form a key group for whatever I want in my clan and alliance as I please, but apparently wanting to go beyond my own horizons to meet new people and play with players I don't know is just such a disgusting concept isn't it?

If you'd read my other post, or bunch of other posts that say the same thing, you wouldn't be as pigheaded about the issue.

Key scamming is deceitful and poor sportsman like. Last time I checked, most types of behavior that are classified in that way get people in trouble. I don't need a reputation system to deal with these people, I just need to be able to go to support and report them with the full confidence that DE does not approve of this type of behavior, and that if it continues that person is going to face punishment. Just like every other form of trolling or leeching.

Key scamming is deceitful and poor sportsman like. Last time I checked, most types of behavior that are classified in that way get people in trouble. I don't need a reputation system to deal with these people, I just need to be able to go to support and report them with the full confidence that DE does not approve of this type of behavior, and that if it continues that person is going to face punishment. Just like every other form of trolling or leeching.

I totally agree with you here. However, currently there is no mechanism to force players to stick to a keyshare. Nor do I think there needs to be. In much the same manner as trades aren't enforced, keyshares (being a community behavior) aren't either.

As mentioned in multiple threads (and a few in this thread) this behavior is abhorrent... 

Personally, I'd recommend a robust reputation system that offers the ability to define why a person has been given a black mark by players.

i.e. Downvoted to do language, poor sportsmanship, trading in bad faith, lying in keyshare, etc.

Put this into the system so players can see why a person has been downvoted.

Can this be abused? Sure! So you put a time limit on all black marks, say 3 months. This will allow a player to learn his lesson and stop the behavior with only a limited amount of time showing him as a poor sport.

but that's my 2c.