Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maps Are Bad.

EvilKam

This issue is outdated by an extraordinary margin.  I started Warframe over a year ago, and there is one pervasive annoyance I initially noticed, and it has not gone away.

The mini map navigation points are just outright terrible.  The nav points update inconsistently  In one of my ancient posts here, I mentioned that this needed fixing.  It's not fixed.

The nav points are sometimes unclear on where you need to ACTUALLY go.  Pros know how to wall climb to get to the destination quickly, if they just knew what door to track down.  New players find themselves running in circles as the nav icon bounces around whenever you get close to it... I know I did.

Edit:  I forgot!  When you switch from mini-map in the corner to map overlay in the center of the screen, your nav point will often CHANGE LOCATIONS on the drawn map!

THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!  IT'S THE SAME LOCATION YOU'RE HEADING TO!  If we're going to the same destination, and there is only one path to take to get there, THEN YOUR NAVIGATION CAN NOT CHANGE JUST BECAUSE YOUR MAP IS BIGGER OR SMALLER!

The Archwing missions simply exacerbate this.  The simple up/down indicator is okay, I guess, but it's far too vague.  Hallway locations to proceed through the level are too hard to locate.

The infested hive event shoved the bad mapping systems directly into our faces.  We're directed to go up stairs, and halfway up a stairwell, the nav point changes, directing us to go down.

We just came from "down".  What the nav point is failing to tell us is "keep going up to the top of the stairwell, even though I'm now pointing down", and from the top of the stairwell, you'll see another path leading to a lower elevation".

A nav point should tell you where you need to go.  Warframe's waypoints do not do that.

Answer.  Let's just rip off other games, Halo, Crysis, Skyrim, and drop a floating nav point on your hud.  If you're facing the correct door, the nav point is center screen.  If it's distracting, operating the gear menu will also toggle the nav point.

How will we know if the waypoints are fixed?

Activate a function to draw a line (Curvilinear, if you prefer) from your Tenno, to the next waypoint.  If that line has to cross through any barrier, (wall, bridge, floor, impassable objects) nav points are broken.  Make sure that line does not cross through solid objects.  Nav points should guide us to where we need to be, and NOT change their mind halfway through a stairwell.

On another note:

The planet maps suck.  Yeah, they're all circle-ish and animated and stuff, and sure, that's all neat-o, but the old starmap showed us how to get from Mercury to Phobos.

That information NEEDS to be visible, and accessible.

TLDR:  Every map sucks, and can be fixed.
Edited by EvilKam

Can't help but notice that another update has come and gone with no nav point improvements.

Hmmm.

Also, @mkmahdi24:  I can't do that because the way it looks right now is great to me.  I just need waypoints that point me in the direction I actually need to go.

Make your own map and post it on Fan concepts. That way you are helping improving the game

The OP is referring to the location of nav points on the map, not so much the design of the maps themselves.

The map system (full screen and mini maps) is just plain horrid.  The ever-bouncing nav points are a PLAGUE on the navigability of the maps.  The atrocious checkpoint system has gotten me killed more than once, I can clearly remember one time on Phobos that I was solo'ing a rescue mission.

I understand why it's happening, and I understand it's not necessarily an easy fix.  I understand that the waypoint system stops at each room due to the rouge-like map generation.  I understand that the map system sees every small piece of the square (railings of catwalks on phobos, that big central command center on phobos, etc) as its own room, and that's why the nav points are bouncing around.

But for the love of the Lotus, make it not-do that anymore!  I have been the straggler too many times in the past week because I went left when everyone else went right, and then the confusing checkpoints made it impossible to find my way.

If this is a simple fix, please give it a quick look and adjust it.  If it's not a simple fix, please dedicate some resources to actually fixing this because the map (one of the most useful pieces of the HUD) is starting to become so confusing that it's getting me lost, instead of helping me find my way.

I was in a sabotage map on Ceres.  Full squad, the "youngest" of the group was a mastery 8.  We were all lost beyond belief, due to the nav points bouncing whenever we took a turn around a corner, or went up a flight of stairs.  

After finally (and at least half accidentally, I'm positive), destroying a third mining machine, one of the squad members said "Get me the [expletive deleted] out of here.

The squad chat echoed this sad sentiment.

If you are mastery 8, you're done being a "n00b".  You've put in your time, you've almost definitely used Forma, you've probably sold a few things for a few plat, and you've learned the room tiles pretty well.

If you're an experienced gamer with Warframe, and you're gaming with other experienced Warframe players, and Warframe's in-level nav system is still getting your squad lost... the problem is NOT with the squad.

I was in a sabotage map on Ceres.  Full squad, the "youngest" of the group was a mastery 8.  We were all lost beyond belief, due to the nav points bouncing whenever we took a turn around a corner, or went up a flight of stairs.  <snip>

Ceres, Europa, and Phobos are the biggest offenders.  They're the most interesting to traverse in terms of room variety (though I've REALLY been hating Europa lately), but they are an utter nightmare for interpreting that waypoint system.

• 1 month later...

I HATE THE INFESTED CORPUS SHIP. The waypoints on that map in particular are THE MOST CONFUSING IN THE GAME.  I was in a big room full of containers and the extraction nav point was in the CENTER OF THE ROOM TELLING ME TO GO UP.  How in the HELL is anyone supposed to figure out where to go in a room like that with vague instructions like THAT????

I died doing a 5 minute survival because the maps suck THAT bad!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The mini-map's nav system is pretty bad honestly. The points on the map will say one direction and then when you move a room or two it'll say it's back the way you came from :P

Why can't the minimap show a dynamic line of bread crumbs to the destination that would change depending on our path? So if it says to go through these two rooms and I go a different route it'll change to compensate for this. Instead all they have is one blip on a giant map and we only see a small fraction of that map on the mini-map. Makes it extremely annoying at best.

Hotfix today didn't resolve bad nav points.

We're getting a new parkour system, we're getting "Sharkwing"... 

But no, a functional mission navigation system?  

Who cares if we know where we're going, so long as we get new animation frames for how we climb and run.

Because climbing and running are horribly broken and barely functional in comparison to the smooth perfection that is "floating nav points".

Am I salty?

Yes.

Damage 1.0 was not an impedance to gameplay.  It was "fixed."

Parkour is not impeding gameplay.  It's getting "fixed".

A lack of outer space missions was not impeding gameplay.  That was "fixed".

The solar system map was not impeding gameplay.  It was "fixed".

The User Interface was not impeding gameplay very much, but new players did ask questions about it.  It was "fixed".  New players STILL ask questions about it.

Excalibur's Radial Javelin was not impeding gameplay, but it was "fixed".

Boss Sigils never existed and were not "Warframe's sole flaw".  But they were created to "fix" that missing starvation.  

I'm out of examples of things that were not broken, but fixed, but I'm sure if I brainstormed, I'd find a ton of them.

• 1 month later...

So, I just read this post about the latest update.

Noticed:

Fixes

• [snip snip
  • Fixed the broken minimap in the Grineer Sealab tileset.
  • [snip snip]

So, there are no longer any flaws in the minimap?  All nav points tell us exactly what door to go through, immediately, without bouncing around?

Warframe's maps are now flawless?  That's great news!

I'm pretty sure they never fixed the fact that overlay map has an excessively high tendency to break on the large, snow-covered Corpus excavation tileset - icons for, say, Extraction will appear to vanish completely due to the sheer size of the map, and only appear in the standard minimap. As an overlay fan, this is ridiculously annoying.

(Also, on a somewhat related note, would it kill DE to add nav points to the Hive tumor nodes? They're frequently near-impossible to actually find.)