Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Applause For Players Who Don't Speak English As A Native Language

English is a damn hard language to learn.

2a23f380.jpg

english isn't hard. it's actually easy compared to lots of other languages.

that's why i consider myself lucky to be born in a country with a different language.

better to learn english as a secondary than french.

but yeah, it's cool that there is mcuh communication between players despite their origins.

Edited by blaes

I speak and write better English and Danish than my native language, Vietnamese, which is quite ironic and I guess is a result of not practicing it extensively. Likewise with my broken German and Spanish. Nevertheless, thank you for the words!

lol well thanks, im from venezuela, native languaje is spanish, ive been sayd i can handle pretty good english but i consider myself not so good at it, there's alot of words i get stuck into, but i try and i guess that's the important :D

I guess I meant that English has a number of colloquialisms, slang (both regional and national), regional dialects, technical terminologies and so on, depending on which industry you're dealing with, which part of the US you're trying to communicate in, etc..  I grew up here, and it can sometimes be difficult to understand a thick Brooklyn accent, or the twang of someone who grew up in the deep South.  I did a mediocre job of learning French in school, and the whole gender thing really threw me, since we don't have that in English.  Then there's that whole American English vs. British English thing ("Two countries separated by a common language"). 

I just really feel that everybody brings a slightly different perspective to any discussion, and me personally, I find the point of view from other cultures especially interesting.  That's why I encourage anyone to speak up, as long as it's a civil discourse.

Wow. I like this thread. I'm so used to seeing grammar nazis do the jackboot all over people who butcher English, and they don't realize when someone might still be learning it. I have a lot of respect for anyone trying to learn a new language because of the sheer amount of effort it takes. English may sometimes be considered 'easier', but that doesn't make it easy!

As an American speaker, I have one request though (one that's usually followed, but...) This game, is in english, intended, for English, etc.

If you're going to use the voice chat, please speak english, even if the person your speaking too, speaks the language your sharing, because nothing ruins the game more for me than hearing two people blabber on in a language I don't understand, and giggling, and in general making me think that they're mocking everything I do. ._.

But, yeah, For those of you out there, that are, legitamately, bilingual,. I salute you. It takes a lot to learn another language, I've tried. XD

English might not be the most difficult language to learn but I commonly see people make basic grammar errors such as "to" and "too" or "your" and "you're". Heck, I have even caught myself do it!

Edited by SymphNo9

Language is but a tool. "xxxxx language is easy to learn" doesn't sit right with me. Regardless of the language you use, the idea's and the concepts that you express and share don't come from the language but from the understanding of the subject you are talking about. Objectively if a language is at the surface too difficult to even learn, imo it is an inferior language. Its like carving stone with a spoon. The point is to carve the stone into a beautiful scupture; not to carve it with the spoon. 

Edited by ClaymoreNo47

English might not be the most difficult language to learn but I commonly see people make basic grammar errors such as "to" and "too" or "your" and "you're". Heck, I have even caught myself do it!

And using aint and fixing and wanna and gonna

Edited by Kantazo

English is a fairly easy language to learn to converse with... writing formally on the other hand can be quite challenging because of all the strange rules....

Still doubt it will ever be as difficult as writing in certain other languages that have symbols to represent all or most of a word and have over 40k characters.

I do appreciate the people who don't speak English as their primary or first language, as I certainly can't speak other languages as well as they can speak English but I feel like other people who understand and are patient with people like that are in an even greater minority... It's very annoying to me to see so many people essentially have the opinion "english or gtfo"

English is a fairly easy language to learn to converse with... writing formally on the other hand can be quite challenging because of all the strange rules....

Still doubt it will ever be as difficult as writing in certain other languages that have symbols to represent all or most of a word and have over 40k characters.

I do appreciate the people who don't speak English as their primary or first language, as I certainly can't speak other languages as well as they can speak English but I feel like other people who understand and are patient with people like that are in an even greater minority... It's very annoying to me to see so many people essentially have the opinion "english or gtfo"

The problem is not the people who struggle to learn, is the ones who come to other countries and don't even try to learn and then turn around and expect the people living there to learn their own language. Happens here in Florida all the time. When I came to the USA from Cuba (I am a rafter) every single person I came across tried to help me improve my English, but I saw so many other Cubans who were to freaking lazy to learn and expected the Americans to learn Spanish. WRONG>

When I went to college I went to Azerbaidzhan  in the city of Baku I learned a phrased that translated in English means roughly "In a different Church abide by their rules". Meaning when you come to visit or to live in a different nation strive your best to act and to live like the natives.

English isn't that difficult to learn, I'm german and I had it in school since I was 12. Was one of the worst in my class till I got interested in it 1 year ago, now Im at a point where I read most books in english, play most of my games in english and watch movies/series in english.

German, french and other languages are much more difficult to learn then english is...Im right now trying to teach some Brits the difference between "der", "die" and "das" (which is the german equivalent to 'the')...that's going to take me more then a week. :P

Thank you for such a gentle post. You encourage us to not be shy and to improve our English practicing in real contexts more often. I appreciate people who understand and forgive our mistakes.

Cheers from Spain, Tenno all around the world.

German, french and other languages are much more difficult to learn then english is...Im right now trying to teach some Brits the difference between "der", "die" and "das" (which is the german equivalent to 'the')...that's going to take me more then a week. :P

rofl... forget it! I tried to teach this to my former English teacher which is from Britain and lives for many years in Germany now. Very smart guy in the late 60s. Worked with Margret Thatcher in the Ministry of Education and was in an high position at Levi's Jeans and such stuff. Speaks several languages (France, Danish, Latin). But hell... he doesn't gets it with the 'der', 'die' and 'das'! XD

I guess I meant that English has a number of colloquialisms, slang (both regional and national), regional dialects, technical terminologies and so on, depending on which industry you're dealing with, which part of the US you're trying to communicate in, etc..  I grew up here, and it can sometimes be difficult to understand a thick Brooklyn accent, or the twang of someone who grew up in the deep South. 

Every language has that. ;) For example, I'm from Slovakia (it's just like 590km from one end to the other) and if I go to the eastern parts I wouldn't be able to understand their local dialect. That's just one example since there's actually quite a lot of dialects. So it's quite common I'd say. 

Edited by Balerion84