The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Would You Feel About Old Boss Models Comming Back As Sub-Bosses?

Othergrunty

Just something i've been thinking about recently.

TL/DR version: "How about DE re-using these models as sub-bosses, with new names and personalities?"

With the new Tyl Regor getting closer to being finished and Kela being allready in the work next, two more of old beta bosses, which were just modified regular enemy models, will be removed from the game and replaced with brand new unique models. Not to forget that Def Anyo is also in for an update soon-ish.

Now obviously, that's great, since it means the game becomes more polished looking by replacing such quickly made placeholders with eye catching carefully made designs.

However i beginn to think that it is a bit of a waste for these models to just be thrown in the garbage bin and forgotten forever.

So how about DE re-using these models as sub-bosses, with new names and personalities? A bit like they did with the old Hyena model, but a bit more common to appear.

Currently the majority of bosses we have in Warframe are higher ups of their respective faction. Having a few more characters who represent the middle or lower ranks, would not only flesh out these factions but also expand the rooster of characters players can encounter in the game.

What i'm imagining here is for them to appear in certain missions as additional difficulty increasing factor, without being random mid mission suprises like Stalker/Harvester/G3.

For example, you learn right at the beginning of an extermination mission that they are there. So in order to progress to the rest of the enemies you have to fight them in arena somewhere in the middle. Same could go for Sabotage, Rescuse, Capture, etc. All while they will taunt you a few times like main bosses.

Or they could be a secondary boss node in mission sectors, rewarding rare resources/mods or additional planet nodes, without having the same strength as the full fledged bosses.

As for how they could gain new personalities. Here are three examples i came with on the fly. All DE would need is to give them voices on their own.

Old red Flame Blade Vor -> Sgt. Ardo. 

A young overachieving Grineer who wants to take Captain Vor's place.

Old Hek wielding Bombard Hek -> Promoter Paulus.

A Grineer version of the Warhammer 40k style Commisars, directly following Hek's orders (and wielding his shotgun as a sign of loyality).

Old giant Charger Golem -> Mutalist Zero.

Released by Alad V. to hinder Tenno operations at Jupiter. Dropping early hints of Alad. thinking he can controll the Infested.

Edited by Othergrunty

TL DR but taking topic as indication, can we have the old skills back as augmentation mods? 

Please DE; Can i hazz back my Radial Blind? 

Models not mods.

I'm sorry for the length. The idea is simply to use the models of the old bosses as basis for new sub-bosses.

Both not letting the models get wasted and expanding the number of characters and therefor personalities of the enemy factions.

Moved to a more appropriate subforum.

I'm not really sure if this counts as fan concept. I mean it's not really new, DE allready did it in a way with the original Hyena and i wasn't creating anything new appearance wise either.

I was more trying to ask for opinions on the idea, using examples as way to highlight what could be done with it, rather than downright proposing it to the devs.

Basicly, to see if people would find it too cheap to re-use removed assets like this or just the right thing to do.

But if you think it should be thrown in here, i guess it's a fan concept then.

Edited by Othergrunty

i want it to,it would add alot more variety to things,and the old models could be used a new enemy units

Not to forget that some of the unused weapons which might not fit on regular units could get some usage.

For example the character made from the old Ruk model could get a Buzlok instead of the Gorgon, the Hek based one could get ... well the Hek. If Ambulas ever gets replaced they could remove the standard moa gun and it give it an Opticore... maybe not.

Still two birds one stone.