Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amd Or Intel For Playing Warframe?

Jordss

AMD, because they pretty much own the CPU market, best CPUs in my view. My old AMD Athlon II X2 4440e still handles Warframe and most of my games like a boss (hell I can even get Dragon Age inquisition to run on it despite not being a quad core or overclocked tho it runs like crap)

I'd say Intel. They're pricier, but worth it. Hyperthreading is a great technology, and they run with less power and heat than AMD CPUs. The fourth generation i# line is quite fantastic.

The biggest question isn't AMD or Intel though; it's budget. AMD (for CPU and GPU) are great for lower cost builds. But if your budget starts around $1,000 USD then you should think about an Intel/Nvidia build (such as an i5 and GTX 970)

AMD, because they pretty much own the CPU market

No. No they really don't. Not by a long shot. A shot of one to two orders of magnitude.

Taken from This Forbes Article:

Intel no longer seems to care about maintaining AMD’s market share and has pounded it into the ground in most markets, notably server, where Intel’s unit share hit 98.3% in 3Q14, according to Mercury Research’s PC Processor Report, and 98.5%, according to IDC.  In notebooks, Mercury’s 3Q14 figure is 92.9%, while IDC pegs it at 90.3%.  Mercury says Intel’s desktop share was 82.7%, while IDC puts it at 81.8%, but those desktop figures are small comfort to AMD, since desktop is the least profitable of the three segments.  At this point, Intel’s revenue is an order of magnitude larger than AMD’s, and its market cap is nearly two orders of magnitude greater.

...Hyperthreading is a great technology...

AFAIK, Hyperthreading is the marketing term for Intel's implentation of SMT. AMD probably does the same thing, but they don't really seem to actively market it like Intel does.

I chose an Intel 4770k for my gaming setup to go hand in hand with my Nvidia GTX770. I chose them strictly for the PhysX feature (for Warframes). The extra particle effects are beautfiul and even set to the absolute highest graphics and running at it 1920x1080 It's a smooth 60fps.

And although Letter13 suggest purchasing an GTX 970 graphics card, I don't recomend it if you are looking to future proof your system, it's apparently under some scrutiny from the press and hardcore gamers for being marketed as having certain features but actually has laughable performances towards the higher end.

Although the card itself is fairly decent. I couldn't justify making a purchase of a 400$ card and having to worry about it not handling games later in it's lifetime.

I recomend a googling of GTX 970 memory issues to see if it might affect you during your build.

Amd is cheaper in general, but Intel just feels better to me imo.

The thing is, with any pc build where cost is a major factor you want to focus your purchases where you will get the most bang for your buck.

Specifically your GPU.

That thing handles most of the load when it comes to playing games.

A decent 7-9 series Nvidia card will allow you to run this game amazingly

Though if you are on a budget, a 670 is actually a pretty good start.

The other thing you should consider spending a bit more on is the motherboard.

It might not give you much value in terms of performance, but going for a better motherboard now means that you have much more freedom to upgrade your build in future.

-snip-

The 970 is actually really, really good if you get the right model.

Guy I work with has one and has had no issues with it, even with overclocking it up to basically the same benchmark as a stock 980.

Lower power draw too.

He has the 4G MSI variant.

I recomend a googling of GTX 970 memory issues to see if it might affect you during your build.

The TL; DR verdict of this spec fiasco is that the card has a 'traditional' 3.5 GB of memory; the last .5 advertised acts as a 'solid state drive' (1/7'th of the speed of the other 3.5) to the card.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/15/01/24/200256/nvidia-responds-to-gtx-970-memory-bug

Technical:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

Edited by Frawg

I'd say Intel. They're pricier, but worth it. Hyperthreading is a great technology, and they run with less power and heat than AMD CPUs. The fourth generation i# line is quite fantastic.

-snip-

Well AMD might run hotter, and therefore require an aftermarket cooler, but my AMD 4.0GHz unlocked 8 core, was cheaper than a 3.6 - 4.1(turbo)  GHz locked quad core Intel. So I'd argue AMD has a massive advantage of brute force. Hyperthreading doesn't help in gaming as most modern game engines make use of multiple cores. Unless you are using your computer for CAD then AMD strips Intel for performance.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

I use AMD. I find they make good processors for a good price. I don't see why I should pay almost twice as much for an intel processor when it only runs barely faster or perhaps even slower than the AMD processor in question.

I also run AMD because I don't like some of Intel's business practices, but that's more of a personal than technical thing.