Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Looking Forward To Bloodborne

Brandr_

Well? Any souls fans mucking about Warframe such as myself?

I looked at the new gameplay footage that came out today and I'm genuinely curious.

I've heard a lot of mixed feelings, a great deal of people are saying they're less hyped for seeing it. Others said they outright refuse to buy it now

I frankly don't understand why. I was captivated by the footage and I look forward to playing it, at the end of march... *sob*

What do you guys think?

Souls fan here. Not particularly hyped about Bloodborne, mostly because I'm not a super huge fan of the aesthetic, but depending on how it turns out I may end up picking it up eventually. Probably after it's been out for a while and the price is reduced. 

Some of the people who are refusing to buy it now may be doing so out of protest; From is re-releasing an "upgraded" version of Dark Souls II later this month, I think. Given what we've heard thus far, they're selling it at full price, and while it DOES include all the DLC and they ARE releasing patches adding some of the new content to the older version of the game, you have to buy it again to get everything. There's been no mention (as far as I've seen) of a potential discount for existing DSII owners. It feels like they're trying to release the game they should have released last year over again. 

That said, I'm still waiting for an updated engine version of Dark Souls. I loved that game. It's just harder to deal with after the smooth gameplay experience I got with Dark Souls II. 

Quite a big fan of the souls series, but I honestly have not given Bloodborne my attention. Half because of my schedule, half because I'd like to keep it a mystery. Unfortunately, I do not own a PS4, nor do I plan on buying any consoles at the moment due to a tight budget, so unless there is a PC release, I will have to watch from the sidelines.

Well Demon Souls was originally a PS3 exclusive.

That was their first souls series game, therefore they didn't alienate any fans. Also, From didn't have the capital to start their own game and actually needed Sony's help for that.

Edited by Jeetza

30 fps. Need I say more?

God that's petty.

I am super excited for it. I've played every souls game, and in comparison, bloodborne (if it's everything it's said to be) will quite literally blow the souls game away in terms of gameplay. As for lore/storyline, that remains to be seen.

That was their first souls series game, therefore they didn't alienate any fans. Also, From didn't have the capital to start their own game and actually needed Sony's help for that.

From has always been sony centered. From their very inception all their games were sony only, so it's not a surprise at all that they are doing this right now with the PS4 exclusive.

God that's petty.

I am super excited for it. I've played every souls game, and in comparison, bloodborne (if it's everything it's said to be) will quite literally blow the souls game away in terms of gameplay. As for lore/storyline, that remains to be seen.

FPS? Really?

I'm guessing you're a fanboy

Don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed the souls series and have put hundreds of hours into them,but From Software is really starting to make me lose faith in them. First off with Releasing Dark Souls 2 while it was half-finished ( shoveled loads DLC into it, and now coming out with a sort of "GOTY edition") and secondly, now claiming that "30 fps is the way to go for any action game".

Any Dev that goes out of their way to say that 24/30 fps is better than 60 in any way is either deluded or lazy. I can't support a Dev like that. That shouldn't be promoted as a good thing.

Look at Warframe for example: DE, who is a fairly small dev compared to many of the more well-known devs, is able to pull off 60+ fps in a beta. If From doesn't wanna pursue 60 fps in their finished game, I won't be supporting them.

On top of all that, they don't wanna release for PC so that destroys any will of me wanting to get Bloodbourne.

Any Dev that goes out of their way to say that 24/30 fps is better than 60 in any way is either deluded or lazy. I can't support a Dev like that. That shouldn't be promoted as a good thing.

Look at Warframe for example: DE, who is a fairly small dev compared to many of the more well-known devs, is able to pull off 60+ fps in a beta. If From doesn't wanna pursue 60 fps in their finished game, I won't be supporting them.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH OH DID YOU HEAR HIM? LAZY! BAHAHAHAHAHAH!

OH MAN, THAT IS THE GREATEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD.

No seriously, that is stupid. Did you even stop to think that it's because of hardware limitations and the graphical intensity that is forcing them to do it at 30 FPS? Because you know, they actually denied that statement and gave out a real reason behind the 30 FPS. 

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/12/07/bloodborne-wont-run60fps-technical-limitations

Warframe is nowhere near the graphical level of Bloodborne. Do not compare the two.

No seriously, that is stupid. Did you even stop to think that it's because of hardware limitations and the graphical intensity that is forcing them to do it at 30 FPS? Because you know, they actually denied that statement and gave out a real reason behind the 30 FPS. 

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/12/07/bloodborne-wont-run60fps-technical-limitations

Warframe is nowhere near the graphical level of Bloodborne. Do not compare the two.

^

I recall Ubisoft saying that but From not really.

No, I agree that it's pretty lazy of them. 

I remember from playing both PC ports (yes, I referred to DSII as a port even though it was supposed to be its own separate version, for good reason,) that a lot of From's game mechanics are tied to frame rate, right down to their control scheme. It's why Dark Souls went absolute batS#&$ crazy when DSFix made 60fps possible - plunging attacks failed to trigger, players could clip through the ground and fall to their deaths, attack sequences wouldn't line up properly, etc. The same thing happened in DSII to a lesser extent. The game ran just fine, but From never bothered adjusting the control calibrations from the console versions. People that didn't modify their control scheme specifically to allow for the shield-break and jump attack inputs (which involved binding your attacks to awkward keyboard keys) couldn't use those maneuvers reliably. Sure, the game was still manageable, but I really missed being able to parry enemies. The reason? They didn't bother accounting for the PC version running at 60fps while consoles ran at 30. 

From is either too lazy to think of a way to implement their existing game mechanics in a way that isn't dependent on framerate, or they're too lazy to create separate calibrations - animation speeds, invulnerability windows, control-input grace times, etc. to cover at least the two most popular framerates: 30 and 60. 

As for "30 fps" being "petty," it's actually kind of an important consideration. 30 fps plays choppily. I was plagued for years with the visual irritation of subtle animation lag that I thought was the fault of my machines, only to find out that what I was noticing was 30fps vs. 60fps. At the time, I was capping fps at 30 deliberately to make sure that my games would run smoothly rather than dipping in framerate every now and then (I mostly run midrange setups.) 

What are you saying? The graphical fidelity of Bloodborne is slightly better than to that of Dark Souls 2, and I could get 60 frames on Dark Soul 2. Hell, I've been able to get Metro to run at 60 and that game looks miles better.

How about instead of releasing on an outdated piece of equipment, they release it on PC as well and give it the 60 fps it deserves.

You seemed to have ignored my main point however, that Dev's claiming that anything less than 60 fps is ideal for any game (Yes i'm looking at you Sony and The Order 1866) is again, deluded or lazy indeed. If you want to release a game with high graphical fidelity, consoles are not the way to go. You don't bring a Ford Fiesta to an F1 race.

The idea of releasing a game that looks nice, but runs at a terrible framerate is like having half an equation and expecting to be able to solve it. It simply doesn't work. You need to strike a good balance if you know you're gonna be limited by a consoles power. Either that or, again, release it on PC.

Either way, back onto the point of the thread, with Bloodborne only coming to PS4 and Sony wishing to have all of the exclusives it can get (because it knows it's grasping at straws when it comes to exclusives) I won't be looking to buy an outdated piece of equipment just to play it. It looks similar enough to Dark Souls 2 in terms of gameplay anyway. I'll just stick to that for the foreseeable future.

As for "30 fps" being "petty," it's actually kind of an important consideration. 30 fps plays choppily. I was plagued for years with the visual irritation of subtle animation lag that I thought was the fault of my machines, only to find out that what I was noticing was 30fps vs. 60fps. At the time, I was capping fps at 30 deliberately to make sure that my games would run smoothly rather than dipping in framerate every now and then (I mostly run midrange setups.) 

Then that's just you, to me, there is practically no difference. 60 fps , 30 fps, no difference. I've played games of both varieties and I don't let such superficial (to me) things impede my enjoyment of the game. 

You seemed to have ignored my main point however, that Dev's claiming that anything less than 60 fps is ideal for any game (Yes i'm looking at you Sony and The Order 1866) is again, deluded or lazy indeed. If you want to release a game with high graphical fidelity, consoles are not the way to go. You don't bring a Ford Fiesta to an F1 race.

So what? Is this you saying no console should attempt to break it's low graphical boundaries? That is not a good thing at all (and again, they never stated it was ideal. They said they have no choice). They are not lazy. The only times they were lazy was the DkS port and the controls U.I. for DkS2. Other than that, they are not lazy. 

It looks similar enough to Dark Souls 2 in terms of gameplay anyway. I'll just stick to that for the foreseeable future.

It's not. I've played the beta, it is not similar. It's quite different when you actually play it. It was a bit choppy, but nothing that would break the game. 

You all judge it on previews, I judge it on my own personal experience. 

Then that's just you, to me, there is practically no difference. 60 fps , 30 fps, no difference. I've played games of both varieties and I don't let such superficial (to me) things impede my enjoyment of the game. 

I agreed with you for the longest time until it was explained to me what I was actually seeing. Then I converted over to the "can't go back to 30fps after experiencing 60fps" crowd. Action games are built around the smoothness of the experience, so I think it's safe to say that devs refusing to work towards smoother framerates (whether due to engine/mechanics limitations or an unwillingness to compromise on graphical fidelity) is fairly lazy.

You're welcome to enjoy the game, and I'm not saying it won't be a good experience. I'm not criticizing Bloodborne. I just think that you're misguided in your mockery of spidey2092 when he said that From was being lazy for not pursuing 60fps. 

If they can work up the determination to re-release Dark Souls 2 on PC (using an entirely different DirectX version that they could have started with no less,) then they should be able to work up the determination to release Bloodborne to a broader audience. 

I'm not saying the game is bad.

I'm not saying that games are terrible the moment they're released at 30fps.

I'm not whining because I'm not going to get to play it.

I'm saying that the criticism you passed off as ridiculous was perfectly valid. 

I'd also appreciate it if you could stop implying that I judge things superficially (albeit with meaningless parenthesized disclaimers suggesting otherwise) just because I find 30fps visually irritating. 

You're welcome to enjoy the game, and I'm not saying it won't be a good experience. I'm not criticizing Bloodborne. I just think that you're misguided in your mockery of spidey2092 when he said that From was being lazy for not pursuing 60fps. 

But you see, that there is my problem. He is implying (or even outright saying) that From is lazy for not going for 60 FPS (when it is clearly said that technical limitations are the reason for this, not because they are lazy.) when it is clearly not true. They put heart and soul into their games even if it doesn't run at 60 FPS. 

And no, I never imply that you judge things superficially. I even said it was in parenthesis that to me it is superficial, you can judge it however you want I don't care. But you when you imply that they are lazy because of one thing, then there I have an issue with it.