The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Liset And Its Impact On Gpu/cpu Temperatures

TheTorin

First id like to say sorry if this is in the wrong section I both suck at and dislike using forums. I am posting this in hopes of getting a dev to look into the game whiles in the liset causing gpu/cpu heat spikes befor you ask no its not my computer it is clean and has no problem keeping cool. While in game even in a heavy mob riddled mission with bits and bobs all over the play my gpu never go's over 60c but the moment one gets back to the Liset the game cause heat spikes that go upto 70-85c especially when looking at the arsenal or inside it. I would greatly appreciate it if a dev could look into this because I don't play as much anymore from fear the game will one day decide to burn all the things just because I looked at the least intensive thing in it.

Edit: Nvidea assuming Direct control. So I looked into my manually set setting for nvidea and they were not being use because updates take over or some nonsince and turned off vsync but failed to update it in the warframe options cause it hates everything. Before you say it its not the computer rebuild it to new specs a month ago but put the auto turn offs lower and resource limits to half so I can keep working whiles running things on monitor 3 to keep me entertained. Still find it odd that de would let the game just go ham when it can like that 120 frame in mission max setting gpu cozy 40c go to liset burn all the things. second post and yet another fail mod kindly delete or whatever you do to fail posts <,< ps. NVidia is a control freak and I still despise forums

Edited by TheTorin

First id like to say sorry if this is in the wrong section I both suck at and dislike using forums. I am posting this in hopes of getting a dev to look into the game whiles in the liset causing gpu/cpu heat spikes befor you ask no its not my computer it is clean and has no problem keeping cool. While in game even in a heavy mob riddled mission with bits and bobs all over the play my gpu never go's over 60c but the moment one gets back to the Liset the game cause heat spikes that go upto 70-85c especially when looking at the arsenal or inside it. I would greatly appreciate it if a dev could look into this because I don't play as much anymore from fear the game will one day decide to burn all the things just because I looked at the least intensive thing in it.

it is your computer, try running stress tests like furmark, you'll hit 90°C... liset part eats up your GPU cause there's no CPU bottleneck so your fps is freee :D while when you're playing missions your GPU runs at 50-80% cause the cpu cant keep up with it, Warframe seems to be CPU intensive

limit your FPS with some third party software or just turn VSync on it will keep your fps in liset at 60 and wont eat up that much of your GPU.... but it is your PC, dont blame warframe for it :P if you dont believe me download Furmark and stress test your GPU I'd bet that you'll hit 90°C

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you're running a toaster oven pc, and you have absolutely no right to accuse the game of creating the issue.

For one, you haven't even bothered to provide your system specs so we have a good idea what you've got under the hood (and running @ 60 degrees on a GPU in this day and age is considered incredibly WARM approaching HOT).

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you're running a toaster oven pc, and you have absolutely no right to accuse the game of creating the issue.

For one, you haven't even bothered to provide your system specs so we have a good idea what you've got under the hood (and running @ 60 degrees on a GPU in this day and age is considered incredibly WARM approaching HOT).

modern GPUs can run safely up to 95°C

edit: example: AMD 290x (with AMD reference cooler) runs at 95°, Nvidia cards overclock on their own untill they get to 85° (and that can be changed to a higher limit)

and Intel CPUs like 4770k downclock when they reach 99° (in macs they work at 99° all the time)

Effects in Liset sometimes get a little out of hand. I had to restart the game the other day because all the smoke coming from Ash was filling the Liset when I left the game running for 5-10 minutes while I was otherwise occupied.

no, the problem is that CPU doesnt have to work hard so the GPU has no bottleneck and is free to get as much FPS as it can (cpu in liset works at 5-10% while in missions it's around 100%)

Edited by Error989

I can confirm this happens, its not OP's Computer. It happens to me because I get well over 100FPS in the Liset. I turn on Vsync to avoid it. You should try that if you havent already. Vsync will act as an FPS cap, although I wish we could just get an FPS cap.

We need less posts like THIS.

Edited by armedpoop

We need less posts like THIS.

well he is right... if your pc "overheats" (85° on GPU is just hot, not overheating) it's your and your pc's fault, you cant blame the game for stuff like that... if your PC cant work at 100% GPU and CPU load you just CAN NOT blame the game... it's like blaming BF4 devs for forcing your CPU and GPU to work at their max potential...

well he is right... if your pc "overheats" (85° on GPU is just hot, not overheating) it's your and your pc's fault, you cant blame the game for stuff like that... if your PC cant work at 100% GPU and CPU load you just CAN NOT blame the game... it's like blaming BF4 devs for forcing your CPU and GPU to work at their max potential...

Gotta' agree with this post.

Warframe does not create heat in your computer, your GPU and CPU do.  If they are overheating when running at full load (with no overclocking involved), then the cooling systems in your computer are not up to par (as they should be rated to keep the system at operating temperatures when at full load at stock speeds).

Edit: Nvidea assuming Direct control. So I looked into my manually set setting for nvidea and they were not being use because updates take over or some nonsince and turned off vsync but failed to update it in the warframe options cause it hates everything. Before you say it its not the computer rebuild it to new specs a month ago but put the auto turn offs lower and resource limits to half so I can keep working whiles running things on monitor 3 to keep me entertained. Still find it odd that de would let the game just go ham when it can like that 120 frame in mission max setting gpu cozy 40c go to liset burn all the things. second post and yet another fail mod kindly delete or whatever you do to fail posts <,< ps. NVidia is a control freak and I still despise forums

what GPU do you have... download Furmark and stress test your GPU... GPUs work at 60-95° under load, that's normal... oh and stop being a smartass please, your GPU is heating up cause it's getting some work done! it's normal for it to work at 80° (all new nvidia cards have it set so that their fan starts cooling the card at 80°, all 7x0 and 9x0 series work like that)

if you're mad cause it's heating up dont blame DE! and if you want it to run at 40° build a full loop water cooling -.-

you're making me really mad

if you want your gpu to work at lower temps download msi afterburner and set up your fan control as you want, as I already said nvidia cards start cooling at 80°, you can lower the target temp in nvidia driver or in MSI Afterburner

here's proof for your brainlessness http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/gpu-boost-2/technologyedit#2564364

edit#2564364: go into your drivers, find GPU Boost 2.0 and set target temp to whatever you feel is best for your gpu (it should be at 80-85° but if you're so smart and think that it should work at 40° set it to it and it wont go over it...tho your gpu will be A LOT slower)

Edited by Error989

Without V-sync engaged your components will work to their fullest to render the game. Devs have no control over what your specifications can and/or can't achieve with the game engine.

In the liset, there is little for the game to render (IE, The scene isn't very complex). So your components can put out lots of frames within minimal time which increases the load on them and increasing heat generated.

Your options are to limit your FPS with V-sync ON in Warframe settings. Or force limits via the drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

^Download this tool^

1omkt0.png

2luj3a.png

3xekox.png

42cj0o.png

5qsjsa.png

6sojg6.png

Alternatively: The drop down referenced in the last picture can also be used to set a thermal limit wherein your GPU will lower performance to keep under the desired temp - WARNING: You may suffer extremely degraded performance depending on your set-up.

I wouldn't personally recommend a thermal limit. Also keep in mind that due to it being forced by the driver, you may encounter a few crashes.

Addendum: The reason your PC may keep cooler during mobs is due to there being a bottleneck with your set-up, or the engine in general. If not enough data is moving to and from your components your components may sit there for a while doing nothing - granted it may not be a long while, but it adds up during extended periods.

EDIT:

This is taken from my PC:

warframeheatiju4a.png

This is me just standing still in my liset. The red sections are where V-sync is not active. The Blue sections are when V-sync is active.

Notice that CPU load decreases to running mostly on a single core, as opposed to 4 when not engaged. Also notice temps for the CPU stabilise and decrease after V-sync is enabled.

Furthermore, the GPU core load also decreases significantly when V-sync is enabled, and so too does it's heat output. 

Edited by MillbrookWest

Without V-sync engaged your components will work to their fullest to render the game. Devs have no control over what your specifications can and/or can't achieve with the game engine.

In the liset, there is little for the game to render (IE, The scene isn't very complex). So your components can put out lots of frames within minimal time which increases the load on them and increasing heat generated.

Your options are to limit your FPS with V-sync ON in Warframe settings. Or force limits via the drivers.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

^Download this tool^

1omkt0.png

2luj3a.png

3xekox.png

42cj0o.png

5qsjsa.png

6sojg6.png

Alternatively: The drop down referenced in the last picture can also be used to set a thermal limit wherein your GPU will lower performance to keep under the desired temp - WARNING: You may suffer extremely degraded performance depending on your set-up.

I wouldn't personally recommend a thermal limit. Also keep in mind that due to it being forced by the driver, you may encounter a few crashes.

Addendum: The reason your PC may keep cooler during mobs is due to there being a bottleneck with your set-up, or the engine in general. If not enough data is moving to and from your components your components may sit there for a while doing nothing - granted it may not be a long while, but it adds up during extended periods.

EDIT:

This is taken from my PC:

warframeheatiju4a.png

This is me just standing still in my liset. The red sections are where V-sync is not active. The Blue sections are when V-sync is active.

Notice that CPU load decreases to running mostly on a single core, as opposed to 4 when not engaged. Also notice temps for the CPU stabilise and decrease after V-sync is enabled.

Furthermore, the GPU core load also decreases significantly when V-sync is enabled, and so too does it's heat output.

he's still going to blame DE... I almost went as far as you but decided to leave it... his brain is rock solid, cant crack it...

Edited by Error989