Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Eastern Style Cosmetics Do You Want To See?

Doriando77

Personally, nothing really.

But I agree with Artic fox up there. Lets have some more around the worldy stuff. Sure Warframe is heavily influenced by eastern culture. But the East doesn't make up all of humanity. Lets stuff everything in!

You know, there's a rather large amount of interesting cultural material from other parts of the world. Why not some things alluding to ancient Middle Eastern civilisations, like Mesopotamia, Babylon? Or something from the Americas; Mayans, Aztecs, Incas...plenty of sources to draw upon.

The world does not end with Europe and Asia. Yes, they have distinct themes and I am quite partial to Chinese aesthetics (Jian are lovely), but if there's one thing the Warframe designs show, it's that they're not limiting themselves too much to one or the other Regional influences.

You know, there's a rather large amount of interesting cultural material from other parts of the world. Why not some things alluding to ancient Middle Eastern civilisations, like Mesopotamia, Babylon? Or something from the Americas; Mayans, Aztecs, Incas...plenty of sources to draw upon.

The world does not end with Europe and Asia. Yes, they have distinct themes and I am quite partial to Chinese aesthetics (Jian are lovely), but if there's one thing the Warframe designs show, it's that they're not limiting themselves too much to one or the other Regional influences.

Now I REALLY want to see a Mayan/Aztec inspired frame. Maybe a support/control role?

because of their own words?

lU6pxS5.png

Now I REALLY want to see a Mayan/Aztec inspired frame. Maybe a support/control role?

Well...As Vaugahn mentioned in another thread, the Stolen Dreams 'Arcane words' are from the Popul Vuh:a Mayan sacred text.

Now, as they mentioned, the following line? Discusses how Quetzal serpent, or Quetzalcoatl made the word.

The Coatls are one of the, sadly, lesser known forms of 'Western' dragons (Although if I were picky, European Dragons would be 'Central' Asian stuff would be Eastern and American Coatls would be the Westerns).

Seeing as the Feathered Serpents were renowned for their colourful Plumage...this could be a clever hint. Again, credit to Vaugahn.

the eastern influence gave war frame its uniqueness. it set it apart from every other sci fie shooter. the limbo stuff shouldn't be approved. its silly. 

Excalibur being the first warframe seems to disagree. It's a catchy phrase for marketing, and that's it.

thats not true. im talking about the looks guy. not the names. weak argument

the eastern influence gave war frame its uniqueness. it set it apart from every other sci fie shooter. the limbo stuff shouldn't be approved. its silly. 

thats not true. im talking about the looks guy. not the names. weak argument

The counterargument lies in your own post.

Limbo, Mirage, Hydroid, Zephyr, Nekros, Valkyr, Volt, Loki, Nova....none of these fit the eastern aesthetic.

The game has been following the East in style for about 90% of the game I would like some other influences mixed in now.

The game is about Ninjas. What other influence should there be?? Personally I think it needs to completely keep itself in that vein of design elements. As it is per the latest dev stream we are getting a Dragon-like frame. 

I would truthfully love to see an actual Ninja set of skins for every frame. If they do that I know precisely what I will wear until this game closes it's doors. Also Samurai skins would be valid in keeping with the Japanese vibe.

because of their own words?

Your point being?

As has been argued very much to death, the only 'Ninja' frame is Ash, who is a direct allusion to everything 'Ninja'. Mixed into 22 other frames with varying cultural roots that all partake in a similarly ascetic culture. Go into the dojo and find me a decoration that isn't heavily Asian inspired, as the ones that are? Pretty darn high.

Warframes? Off the top of my head, we have so far got Excalibur (Arthurian Myth), Loki and Valkyr (Norse Mythology), Oberon (Shakespeare), Trinity (possibly the Holy Trinity?), Zephyr (Greek god of the wind), Nyx (Greek Goddess of Night), Banshee (Gaelic monster). Still part of the Tenno pseudo-oriental culture, still 'ninja', but a much broader range of sources than just 'Japan/Asia'.

Ninja itself translates as "One skilled in the art of stealth" or "Mercenary". The latter is far more applicable (Spy 2.0 is a start) than the former, but Ninja sounds cooler than Mercenary.

It really is a case that, for all the Asian influences in the game, DE aren't limiting their creative efforts on only that sector. Yes, there are a lot of Asian mythologies out there, but considering how obscure some of the names for weapons or items are, there's actually quite a nice amount of variety.

Again, I'm all for more things, but not exclusive; more of everything rather than 'just Asia'.

The counterargument lies in your own post.

Limbo, Mirage, Hydroid, Zephyr, Nekros, Valkyr, Volt, Loki, Nova....none of these fit the eastern aesthetic.

no warframe was ever so blatant in its design. yes all the warframes you list have differing influences. subtly is key. hydroid, limbo, are not very subte. the others could pass as half eastern and half other inluence. which is a good mix. yes its nice to have the other influences too, but i think its important that the warframes maintain the base characteristics.

no warframe was ever so blatant in its design. yes all the warframes you list have differing influences. subtly is key. hydroid, limbo, are not very subte. the others could pass as half eastern and half other inluence. which is a good mix. yes its nice to have the other influences too, but i think its important that the warframes maintain the base characteristics.

I agree with the sentiment, but what would you say are "base characteristics?" The idea seems to only to limit aesthetic variety, and many frames so far have no Eastern influences, ESPECIALLY the ones I mentioned seemingly have none.

Their themes are anything but subtle.

I'll need to find that reference chart the art team uses at DE. For each faction it had a few key wards for their design to go off of, and Tenno didn't have anything about ninjas or eastern culture under their section. Interestingly enough, "techno knights" was one of their key words.

eastern like Asia and Japan. The game needs to return to that vibe, I think. Maybe different nikana sheaths, Or maybe different types of syndanas that you wear on your waist, like a sash. 

yeah, the game has a big need to return to some honourable style to play it =)

This.

And also, give us a god damn Shinobi style scarf, alteast make it look good on Ash who has the Shinobi stance in the first place! ;v;

For reference: 

SHINOBI_S_BACK_by_Pertheseus.jpg

When they first showed concepts for syandanas they had a scarf exactly like this one. However they couldn't get the neck wrap part to work on all warframes.

When they first showed concepts for syandanas they had a scarf exactly like this one. However they couldn't get the neck wrap part to work on all warframes.

I remember, yeah ;v;

Id pay De money if they just made it different sized for each frame, or jsut making it Ash only because it fits perfectly with him. Or atleast release it with some kind of "this will clip on some frames!" warning.

De pls ;v;