Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Era Bionicle Discussion Thread

WarframeStigma

They're also much more complex, but they're very clean, almost too clean. I liked the look of all those extra holes and connectors on the original sets, it added to the entire 'cyborg' idea.

i they are only slightly more structurally complex than the old sets. however they arent any more functionally complex. basically all it is is requiring more pieces for generally the same outcome and functionality.

other than that, though these new sets offer new methods of construction, i feel that these methods are somewhat lacking in that the joint components can only accept new era armor pieces. though they cover up this flaw with the mechanical-looking armor pieces that add bulk and style, its still limiting the scope of customization

i they are only slightly more structurally complex than the old sets. however they arent any more functionally complex. basically all it is is requiring more pieces for generally the same outcome and functionality.

other than that, though these new sets offer new methods of construction, i feel that these methods are somewhat lacking in that the joint components can only accept new era armor pieces. though they cover up this flaw with the mechanical-looking armor pieces that add bulk and style, its still limiting the scope of customization

Yep, that's exactly it. I bought Onua since I started my collection with him (I've had every Toa of Earth since), and I thought it would only be fair to grab one from the new series. Definitely good for posing, good mobility, but also not many options to change things up unless you want him to look lopsided and horrible.

Nostalgia aside, these guys are definitely superior in many ways. They combine aspects we love from Bionicle into one, beautiful package and cleaned up all the bad parts.

Like 2001-2004, these guys have the gear system back but unlike the 2001-2003 sets, they don't suffer from "floppy arm syndrome". In fact, the arms are very solid and there is definitely a lot of friction in the gears so if you don't want the gear function, you can literally ignore it and the gears pretty much NEVER move on their own. I own all 6 and the gear system has never proven to be a problem for me. 

In 2006 onward (skipping 2005, it was a weird year and overall was bashed on horrible along with 2010) we switched to the Inika build, which was infinitely better for posing than 2001-2004. However, the joints often had very low friction and the joints were unfortunately weak. A kid playing with them could and definitely would break the joints. The new CCBS system that the current sets use do not have this issue. I've never seen a CCBS joint break. 

While people complain about CCBS which was consistently used since 2011 lacks variety and is always the same but in all honesty, so was the Inika build. The Inika build and the current CCBS system are around the same age, both having lasted around 4 years (Inika build was still used in Hero Factory's first year). Can CCBS use some improvement? yeah, definitely. 

As for aesthetics, I like what they're going for. They're returning back to their original roots, being colorful and the masks and everything. In fact, I was going to say that this year would be the best year for Bionicle, rivaling and possibly beating 2001 after summer waves were announced. But then Nuremberg Toyfair 2015 happened.

mycasubiqoim0uksaecm.jpg

New sets is everything at right, directly next to Tahu. Basically, they dun goofed. I wrote a lot already, but if you my opinion on why these new sets are an absolute flop, I can come back to rant.

-snip-

lets hear the flop.

personally, i'd wish they kept a bit closer to the original Mata sets in terms of tools and masks. the Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu masks stay true for the most part, however the others look nothing like the originals...but i am kinda pleased with Gali's upgrade; i was never into her Mata mask...

lets hear the flop.

personally, i'd wish they kept a bit closer to the original Mata sets in terms of tools and masks. the Tahu, Kopaka, and Pohatu masks stay true for the most part, however the others look nothing like the originals...but i am kinda pleased with Gali's upgrade; i was never into her Mata mask...

The only radically different masks are Lewa and Gali. Onua's mask definitely looks like the Pakari. I too am pleased with Gali's new mask ,but I do miss Lewa's old Mata smile.As for tools, the tools for the most part are VERY faithful, and draw inspiration from both Toa Mata and Nuva. Tahu's toa tools are definitely akin to Tahu Nuva's awesome fire swords, even turning into a Lavaboard. Onua's hammer can turn into claws, akin to Onua Mata. Lewa has an axe like Lewa Mata, but he one ups him and has TWO AXES. THAT CAN TURN INTO SWOOOOOORDS. The swords are also a nod to Lewa Nuva. Kopaka has a spear and shield, which is a nod to Kopaka's old sword and board days. Gali is the most different, but her water fins are a nod to Gali Nuva's fins. In addition, the fins on her feet turning into a giant axe is a nod to Gali Nuva's dual axes. As for the trident, it just fits in her theme, better than 2 hooks in my opinion. As for Pohatu, yeah I don't know. Boomerangs are cool and all, and I understand why the removed the kick feature as it would be awkward for the new gear function, but nevertheless there was certain charm to his kicking feet.

As for the flop, I am looking for better pics, but it has to do with them making skeletal joints so that they can leave the CCBS unarmored and still look good, but nevertheless the standard joints which the ball joint in center being unarmored and destroying the entire purpose.

As for the flop, I am looking for better pics, but it has to do with them making skeletal joints so that they can leave the CCBS unarmored and still look good, but nevertheless the standard joints which the ball joint in center being unarmored and destroying the entire purpose.

the problem i have with the ccbs is that it restricts the sets to specific presets. granted, there are variations, but you are always restricted to the same method of building.

with the old era, each year from 2001 to 2006 introduced new types of body pieces with different types of formations as to allow you to mix and match them however you please, with new era, you dont have that liberty. the only real kind of customization you get now is armor placement and weapon construction.

i hope that, if this new era survives, the developers can release more complex forms of customization. somehow i feel that this ccbs is going to stay. and if that's so, i would like it if they made better presets, perhaps ones that are more compatable with old era pieces

the problem i have with the ccbs is that it restricts the sets to specific presets. granted, there are variations, but you are always restricted to the same method of building.

with the old era, each year from 2001 to 2006 introduced new types of body pieces with different types of formations as to allow you to mix and match them however you please, with new era, you dont have that liberty. the only real kind of customization you get now is armor placement and weapon construction.

i hope that, if this new era survives, the developers can release more complex forms of customization. somehow i feel that this ccbs is going to stay. and if that's so, i would like it if they made better presets, perhaps ones that are more compatable with old era pieces

Alright, here is a reddit thread with all closeup pics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bioniclelego/comments/2u3qdi/lots_of_images_of_the_summer_villains/

Now, here is the general problem, which is best exemplified in Skull Slicer. Notice the new bone limbs? They look awesome. It looks like an actual skeleton, and it makes the unarmored look look good. But here is the problem. Look at his thighs and upper arms. THEY HAVE NO ARMOR. Then what is the whole point of these new joints? In addition, they just look bad. I thought we would be going back to the good old colorful days, but apparently that was for only for half a year. Now we are returning back to metal colors only. Also, what is up with all the trans colors? They don't even look good together. Trans orange on trans blue? Eugh.