Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Explosions Should Be Reworked

Tchesco

The way it works now is just a big sphere of damage that ignores any obstacle within its range. DE, pls, change it to the line of sight of the object which causes the explosion. I'm sick of running around to evade a Corrupted Bombard's missile or seeing my teamates being instakilled inside a maxed range Snowglobe

man, 3D ray-tracing is very time-consuming operation. and that is why it is not used

i don't know anything technical about it but all pvp games from a LOOONG time ago with explosive weapons  have explosions that don't go throught walls, actually warframe is the only game i know about that has explosives that pierce throught cover and stuff, if let's say tribes can handle it i can't see why warframe cant 

Edited by bl4ckhunter

man, 3D ray-tracing is very time-consuming operation. and that is why it is not used

Hmm...I think you're confusing something. From my personal knowledge (someone, please, revise me if I'm wrong), Ray Tracing is a graphic technique for generating images, whereas the topic is about the explosions hitbox

Edited by Tchesco

Long ago in one of the devstreams, Steve mentioned this. It has something to do with an obstacle rework (or something like that), not an explosion rework. This would make snowglobe and walls an obstacle to explosions.

Edited by Cypress85

Wait.. EXPLOSIONS DON"T PIERCE WALLS!!! O.O I was lied to... >.> Thanks random players!

Yes, please change this. It makes no sense. Or make it have to do with punchthrough. Also they shouldn't go through enemies. :/

For all who don't know (the select few who haven't taken science)

Explosions don't kill you. Its the heat and small particles AKA metal, rocks, etc. That kill you. Its basically just launching a big shotgun that shoots everywhere. So yes you can block a explosion with humans.

So technically warframe explosions shouldn't go through enemies, adding a punchthrough mod should enable this however innate explosions should have 0 punchthrough.

Edited by Feallike

3D ray-tracing is very time-consuming operation.

it actually isn't. when you're using Ray Tracing to generate obnoxious resolution pictures, then yes. but that's lighting.

drawing Rays from an origin point to determine if an Explosion can hit something is not very intensive as it will not involve many Rays, and they aren't calculating luminosity with a limit of infinite bounces constrained by atmosphereic diffusion.

creating an Explosion with Ray Tracing is simple, we've been doing it since the 1990's, Ray Tracing a 3D zone to take a photo realistic image of it, is not, because it involves calculation of upwards of billions of Rays.

(though real time Ray Traced lighting is actually starting to become feasible, and if we have some nice breakthroughs in the next 5 years, could start being used in a lot of places).

Edit:

as for adjusting Explosions, i would vouch for reduced Damage through obstacles. just reduced, not disappearing out of existence.

Explosions don't kill you. Its the heat and small particles AKA metal, rocks, etc. That kill you. Its basically just launching a big shotgun that shoots everywhere. So yes you can block a explosion with humans.

situationally true, but usually it isn't.

the Impulse Shockwave from an Explosion is what kills you 99% of the time. the violent disruption of Atmosphere or other liquid medium, turning the normally docile Atmosphere or other liquid medium into a force as great as a Tidal Wave.

Explosions do often have Fragmentation and debris however, which yes, if the initial Shockwave doesn't kill you, then the debris probably will.

but since Explosions in Warframe are generally Weapons, the Shockwaves being created are intended to kill, so they're going to do the work in almost all cases.

Edited by taiiat