Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Primed Reach Bug

0xCAFE

Primed Reach is not increasing range by the advertised amount. If it is for some weapons, it is not for other weapons. I ran some tests and found an estimate of the range of Tipedo and Orthos Prime with and without Primed Reach (PR). This is for the range of the first swing in the combo with the melee weapon holstered.

Without PR

Tipedo: 4.35

Orthos P: 4.78

With PR

Tipedo: 6.29

Orthos P: 9.56

The ranges were found using way points. I'll explain the decimals below. In both cases, the range is not being increased by 165%. I did consider that there's an offset for way points. If that's the case, a 165% increase for Orthos with the data would mean an offset of 1.9 meters ( [9.56 - 1.9]/[4.78-1.9]~=2.65 or a 165% increase). If that same offset is applied to Tipedo, the range increase is a mere 80% ( [6.29 - 1.9]/[4.35-1.9]~=1.8). Whether or not there is a way point offset, the bonus reach is not being applied to both weapons correctly.

Assuming that there is no offset, the theoretical range of each weapon with PR should be

Tipedo: 11.53 m

Orthos P: 12.67 m

Testing Method

Measurements

Before testing, I needed a way to estimate centimeters in the game. I created a macro that holds down the forward or backward button for 50 ms so I can make small, consistent adjustments to my position. From here, I'll refer to each press of the macro as a tap forward or a tap backward. Facing a wall and creating a way point (WP), I placed myself so the WP would read 10 meters and a single tap forward would make the WP read 9. I'll refer to this type of position as low 10 meters. From that position, I continuously made forward taps until I reached low 7 meters. Doing this, I moved 3 in game meters with 55 taps. Each tap corresponds to roughly 5 cm (3/55 =~ 0.05454...).

Testing Attack Range

All attacks made were with the first hit in the combo with the melee weapon holstered. Targets were on even ground and stationary. This was achieved by using invisibility Loki and alerting the Grineer so they would remain still in cover. For each weapon, I tried various low n meters until I found a range where I could no longer hit the target. In the case of Tipedo w/o PR, I placed a WP on my target and positioned myself at low 5 meters. At low 5 meters, I could not hit the target. At low 5 meters + 12 taps forward, I could consistently land hits on my target. And at low 5 meters + 13 taps forward, I found myself hitting air. From that I'm able to derive 4.35 meters (5 - 3/55 * 12 =~ 4.35).

What's interesting is that the change in range for Tipedo looks about like what you would expect from Vanilla Reach rather than Primed Reach.

Could you do another test with Tipedo equipped with Vanilla Reach to make sure that it's less than Primed Reach?

Perhaps for some weapons it's somehow bugged and registers Primed Reach as Vanilla Reach.

As far as I know, nearly every weapon gets half the effect from either reach mod. This is assumed to be because it is scaling from the center.

The Orthos Prime scales closer to what you would expect it to, for some strange reason. This makes it have absurd range.

Edited by egregiousRac

still waiting for reach to make the throwing melee go further in combos as well as have a larger radius of effect 

but id still like to be able to throw it around terrain (ie have the collision radius stay the same size as the model, but allow the dmg radius to be larger if reach mods are used)

This is just a theory that literally just popped into my head so I've not even thought how to test it and have no evidence to back it up but...

What if (Primed) Reach doesn't affect the weapon's range but rather the animation's range and every weapon has it's own multiplier to the animation range?  For axample, if the standard staff range was 1.2m and the Tipedo had +260% then it's range would be 4.32m but adding (Primed) Reach would add a percentage of 1.2m rather than 4.32m so a maxed Primed Reach would give you 1.2x(3.6+1.65)=6.3m.  This would mean that Reach adds a flat distance based on type of melee weapon or stance rather than specific melee weapon.  Polearms would have a base range of ~2.9m with the Orthos having +65% so for 4.78m basic and Primed Reach would give 2.9x(1.65+1.65)=9.56m.

Just a thought and probably completely wrong but if you test the Bo a get the same 1.94m increase from a different base level then that would support the theory.