The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Oberon Supposed To Be A Paladin Or A Druid?

Vanadium

Why can't he be his own category instead of a generic rpg thing?

Okay, so, what would you call Trinity if not a healer? Valkyr if not a berserker? Those terms fit and apply in a simple and easy to understand manner.

Also, the Devs said they wanted him to be a paladin like character. However he looks like a druid, causing a sort of disconnect. He is kind of a paladin, and is kind of a druid. That isn't a bad thing, it's just what he is. He IS nature rising up against the enemy, in the form of protecting and defending his allies.

He is neither:

He is the lord of the forest and fae.

Oberon was the king of the faries in literature, and that's where he takes his name.

His aspect and power though are more akin to those of Cernunnos, celtic god

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/204/3/4/cernunnos_by_wahay-d58aqkv.jpg

(especially with the oryx helmet: http://www.animalstown.com/animals/o/oryx/wallpapers/oryx-wallpaper-2.jpg)

Not much is known about Cernunnos however, it was most likely a god of nature and fertility, which would make the Oberon warframe, combined with the Oberon name, more of a king and general protector of nature (even with the heavy hand), rather than a paladin. Druid however is incorrect as well... It's more like something a druid would adore or at least revere.

Okay, so, what would you call Trinity if not a healer? Valkyr if not a berserker? Those terms fit and apply in a simple and easy to understand manner.

Also, the Devs said they wanted him to be a paladin like character. However he looks like a druid, causing a sort of disconnect. He is kind of a paladin, and is kind of a druid. That isn't a bad thing, it's just what he is. He IS nature rising up against the enemy, in the form of protecting and defending his allies.

You're taking his looks into account after comparing him to other frames without taking their looks into account. Is Trinity a healer or a lobster?

Paladins generally have healing abilities, and damaging abilities, which he has in spades. I'd say he's a Paladin.

His statue may look like that because his Warframe itself is similar to a Deer or something, but that does not mean he is a Druid.

Sure, all of his abilities have very Paladin-power sounding names, but visually and mechanically they're all pretty ambiguous. He could easily be called either a Paladin or a Druid (or Mag-that-heals or Trinity-v.Bad).

Aside from Hallowed Ground, all of his abilities are mechanical copypastas of other Warframes' abilities (Smite is a radiation fireball, Renewal is Blessing but slow, Reckoning is Crush that actually works).

And I get that he's supposed to be a Jack-of-all-Trades-Frame, like Pallys and Druids in most other games/universes. But I feel like he lacks a real uniqueness that the other Frames have.

I suppose it all depends on what your views are.

Firstly, Radiation is the closest you're going to get to doing 'Light' Damage in this game. And, with the way Radiation Procs work against enemy Auras, such as the Infested, Oberon is a rather solid choice if you're fighting Infested in my experience. Smite the Healer or what have you and take it from there. Throwing Blind onto Reckoning sort of adds to the 'Light' aspect, in a round about way. Very 'Paladin' sort of feel there.

From there, he has the currently unique inherent ability to remove and negate Status effects on himself and allies. Sure, Hydroid gets Tidal Impunity for the same deal, but it's one of the main perks of Hallowed Ground and Renewal. Add in that Renewal extends your Bleed out Time, something not even Trinity can do, and again, that fits well with a 'Paladin' sort of thing; specifically, curing disease and reviving people.

Where he draws most of the Druidic elements is mainly in his aesthetic and well...that could just be it in the end. Oberon's 'thing' is a form of offensive Support, and considering he was released during the Cicero Crisis (Dropped from old Vay Hek. That was a fun first week), an argument could be made that Oberon is a Paladin of Nature, hence the Druidic themes.

His style of play just seems to give that impression, far as I'm finding it. I've never run into any problems and he is currently the only Male Warframe who has a playstyle that I can actually enjoy. Compared to Ember, Trinity, Saryn, Banshee, Valkyr, Zephyr, Mesa and Mag...he's got to be doing something right.

Like I said to begin with though, it depends how you look at it.

You're taking his looks into account after comparing him to other frames without taking their looks into account. Is Trinity a healer or a lobster?

I did because a druid is generally a visual experience, which OP even did and is the cause of this thread. He plays like a paladin, but looks like a druid.