Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Are Your Tenno Headcanon's?

(PSN)batman200087

(My first thread,so honored.)

Exactly what it says in the title. For starters my headcanon is that every Warframe we craft-buy-etc is a whole new Tenno. By that i mean my Excalibur is one Tenno, My Nyx is one Tenno, so on and so on. The purpose of this thread is to share headcanon's and enjoy doing it. Go ahead, post your headcanon. It could be anything you want it to be.-87

Edited by (PS4)batman200087

Mostly mine would be summed up here.

Which, admittedly, works off the Mono-Tenno implied narrative so some contentions might be had.

Past that, terms of address between Tenno I imagine to likely take the used frame into account to determine the applicable gender pronoun before the Tenno's own name. Further, Tenno naming conventions are perhaps highly variable, but I suspect that, due their ascetic culture, they likely have some relevance to the Tenno in question.

Beyond that, not much; each Warframe and Agile/Noble stance is a form of 'playing the part' associated with that Warframe Series akin to classical Greek theatre, where a character is expressed by the mask and costume worn combined with the motions and actions of the actor.

EDIT: Now I remember, I also subscribe to the notion that Warframes are in part self aware and have a manner of symbiotic relationship with their Tenno Pilots. Little fuzzy on the exact dynamic, but I still figure it's a mutually beneficial relationship; perhaps the Tenno just let the Warframes live off the ambient Void Energy they don't use. Either way, that's why you have Affinity with your Warframe: It's how well the Tenno and that Warframe "get along". Better the relationship, the better they perform.

I'm also of the mind that it seems likely that Ordis' erratic nature could have been, as he suggests self inflicted. Due to the context of the Old War and the allusions of what the Sentients are able to do to technology, it seems reasonable that a Technology manipulating race would be an Eldritch Horror for an Artificial Intelligence.

Edited by Blakrana

I follow the mono-Tenno theory - one Tenno, many frames. Of course, I also heavily believe that each Tenno has a frame to which they are simply more attuned and comfortable in than others - so, one Tenno could prefer to wear Nyx, another Excalibur, ect., and it all works out fine through that.

In-game we play a singular Tenno, but for character creation and RP-ing measures I see no reason a player can't up and say "all these frames are owned by different Tenno".

Oh boy... I got quite a few of them.

-Tenno are mute, not just as a gameplay thing; they literally cannot speak, at least through their helmets. HOWEVER they are capable of communicating through an internal radio/neural sentry (represented in-game as the chat window).

Barely anybody is aware we're actually capable of communication, but beings like Simaris are able to connect to our neural network/communication systems which is why we can 'ask' him things.

- Tenno have no eyes. Wether they are eyeless monsters or just blind, no idea. However, they still receive visual input from the multitude of glowing lights (biolights) across their Warframe, which double as optics. However they still have to look in 'one way' to prevent an information overflow, which is why your camera can only face one direction at a time. They were once puny humans at one point, after all.

- Also on the biolights. Their brightness or dimness are informative of the health of the Tenno, and if they're being attentive at all. As in:

*Tenno is healthy: Full saturation, full brightness

*Tenno is wounded: Full saturation, brightness dims

*Tenno is alarmed/excited/scared: Brightness increases, color becomes more whitish

*Tenno is meditating/sad: Full brightness, but the saturation dims and the color becomes more gray.

This obviously doesn't apply if the Tenno has a black energy color.

-The suits are made of technocyte, AND the Tenno cannot be separated from it. They may temporally be separated for the purpose of changing frames, but if the Tenno spends any prolonged time out of a frame they just die from the lack of life support, like a flame without oxygen.

-For a Tenno, their Warframe IS their skin. They can feel through it just the same as if somebody touched you, except for the parts made of Orokin gold for the Prime versions. This extends to having sensory nodes and areas that are more sensitive to touch than others. So yes, tickling, massaging or giving a Tenno scritches is possible (assuming they don't find that offensive and hack you to pieces)

-Related to above, notice how most of the Warframe's palms and bottom of feet appear a grey color with a rugged texture? In my headcanon those are "pawpads", not literally but function in a similar way. They are there to improve grip and protect the Tenno from superficial damage to these parts.

I'll add more when I remember them... <D

Edited by Hyenasaurus

I have already confirmed that Tenno are humanoid beings that wear whatever warframes are in their arsenal and can change their gender at will to use both male and female warframes.

Awhile ago, there were two prevailing theories as to what the Tenno were and how they used warframes. The first theory is that each warframe in your arsenal contains a different Tenno, and that Tenno cannot switch warframes. However, this theory was revealed to be false at the end of "The Limbo Theorem" quest line, in which Ordis implies that you are a single Tenno switching between the warframes in your arsenal. This evidence is further backed up by the "hidden messages" quest line, in which you recover the components of the Mirage warframe to wear for yourself.

The second theory is that you play as one Tenno and switch between the warframes in your arsenal. What Ordis says about Limbo and what Lotus says about Mirage would seem to confirm this theory, but the one problem with it is that you play as both male and female warframes that have clearly defined sexual characteristics. How is it possible that one Tenno can use both male and female warframes?

One explanation for this is that the Tenno are not humanoid, and do not have genders. This theory is proven false in two ways. First of all, we see Tenno outside of their warframes in cryopods on defense missions, and they are very clearly humanoid, and second, if Tenno didn't have genders, why do the warframes have clearly defined sexual characteristics?

So how does one Tenno use both male and female warframes? The answer is deceptively simple. Who says Tenno aren't capable of changing their gender? Certain animals here on earth are capable of doing the same. The Tenno we see in defense missions would seem to support this as well, since all of them appear to be male.

I prefer my headcanon to not deviate from the real canon, as so many others do. My personal warframe OC is a male Zephyr user that switches to a female when using his preferred warframe.

Edited by 4G3NT_0R4NG3

Funny, I was just about to write something about this...

But in general my headcanon is as follows:

1) There are three types of Tenno - Primes (the original version of each Frame), Orokin Tenno (their warframes were built by the Orokin, they look similar / identical to their Prime, and generally acted as officers) and "ordinary" Tenno (mass produced Tenno to meet the demands of the Old War).

2) There is no Limbo Prime, Mirage Prime or Excalibur Prime - they all died during the Old War. Their deaths are, in part, why the Tenno turned. Speaking of...

3) Loki Prime, with the help of Ash Prime, instigated the Tenno's betrayal of the Orokin in response to Exalibur Prime's death. His fate hammered home to them that the Orokin did not value the Tenno's lives, and so they turned on them.

4) Some Tenno remember the Old War, in part or entirety.

5) Each Tenno has ONE Warframe. No more, no less. They are bound to it and cannot change their Warframe, ever.

Another headcanon of mine:

.The Warframe's we see in the trailers and such, are THE ORIGINAL WARFRAMES.Remember watching Excalibur in the Sentients trailer?My headcanon is, that Excalibur is the ORIGINAL Excalibur and is the same one in the other trailers.Basically what i am saying is, that the Warframes in the trailers are all the original Warframes.I.E The Excalibur in the trailers is the original one, The Loki in the trailers is the original one etc.

Edited by (PS4)batman200087

Well, in a short summary I believe the Warframes to be biological living organisms, with their own organs, nervous system and brain. The layer on top of the Warframe is its actual skin, and it functions like any other human aside the fact that it's basically braindead. Us Tenno, regular humans, formless beings of energy, gender-morphing posthuman abominations, regardless of which answer this is, Tenno transfer their consciousness into a Warframe to operate it and channel the powers they have into more specific abilities. 

Okay, so one belief I have is that there were some tenno that were aware of the dangers of using orokin technology. so Mirage prime, Limbo prime, mesa Prime were things, but all three of them left hints for "dumbed down" versions of their warframes for the future tenno to uncover. Mirage prime was completely obliterated, removing any chance of finding her. After the war, Limbo made his 'Limbo theroem' to find his pieces before going to die somewhere in the rift. Some new Limbo users say that they see a golden figure just before they come back from the rift. As for Mesa, she died to the orokin bioweapon, the infestation. So yes they were a thing, but like Excalibur prime, they destroyed Amy way to build their prime variants. Excalibur prime was different since there was a mass produced version of his warframe and very few tenno had access to the other prime versions. They are the grandmasters and they are sworn to never reveal the blueprints of their leader.

Edited by (PS4)theraputicGreen

5) Each Tenno has ONE Warframe. No more, no less. They are bound to it and cannot change their Warframe, ever.

"Operator, your choice of warframe certainly suits you." -Ordis

"Perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will exercise more... caution." -Orids

"Forge this warframe in honor of these memories." -Lotus

"Operator, your choice of warframe certainly suits you." -Ordis

"Perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will exercise more... caution." -Orids

"Forge this warframe in honor of these memories." -Lotus

Irrelevant.

This is about headcanon, and that allows for dismissal of in-game elements that make no sense.

For example, in game I have killed Captain Vor, Alad V, Tyl Regor, etc. numerous times. My headcanon explains this by ignoring it and concluding that my Tenno has NEVER killed any of them. He may not have even FOUGHT them!

Likewise, I dismiss this dialog as an attempt to justify a game mechanic, rather than an expansion of the in-game lore.

I think the "Warframe" includes both the suit and the body inhabiting it, with the Tenno essentially being energy who swaps from one Frame to the other.

(that's my explanation anyway)

(i'd totally prefer it if we had multiple Tenno at our command, but I'm not convinced that's the case)

• 4 weeks later...

I follow the mono-Tenno theory - one Tenno, many frames. Of course, I also heavily believe that each Tenno has a frame to which they are simply more attuned and comfortable in than others - so, one Tenno could prefer to wear Nyx, another Excalibur, ect., and it all works out fine through that.

In-game we play a singular Tenno, but for character creation and RP-ing measures I see no reason a player can't up and say "all these frames are owned by different Tenno".

i support this

I believe that the Tenno is actually the player themselves, and is an energy being. The warframes themselves are things they plug into. This is supported by Ordis' comment about how we'll do a better job inhabiting Limbo's frame in his quest line.

Also, I've figured out how Warframes are constructed. They are cloned from the original Tenno who wore them, and there has been some evolution or degradation or whatever you want to call it. So, the original Tenno who the frames were built around might've looked more human at one point, but the modern day replications of what they once were are much more alien.