Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Lore- The Tenno And The Suits?

Duyet

We have the ability to use the armor? Okay, that doesn't say much... Then what's the point of having different Warframes then? Why not just make all the suits the same? It's because not all Tenno are the same. Ember Prime's lore said the little girl wield the power of fire. The Ember suit is made for her.

Why is it a problem? Because it was thought to be a game mechanic, you know, getting materials as you playing the game to upgrade. When it becomes part of a story, then it gets confusing.

As an Old Rpg'er I have found sometime peeps confuse game lore for game machanic's it not that bad in this game though it does happen. But seriously DE does need to fill in the extremely wide gaps if they want peeps to still play this game. from a story point of view.

@xEQuESx

Sorry to break it to you, but the codex entries for Mag, Rhino, and Ember counter that theory entirely. In ember's entry for instance, the human that would become Ember is a young girl who was on a vessel that had a drive malfunction and was exposed to the void. All adults on board were killed. The leader of the inspection team assigned to determine what happened to the vessel found a little girl still alive aboard the ship. The inspection team leader went against protocol and tried to help her instead of informing her superiors. The team leader ended up badly burned, and scarred from whatever the little girl did (it's heavily implied that the void turned her into some form of monster or beast with 'supernatural' powers).

In the Rhino codex entry it goes into gruesome detail about the success of two scientists working in an Orokin facility finally getting one of these beasts under their control. And I literally do mean beasts. It eats some of a security guard.

The Tenno aren't noble heroes, they're monsters that have been repurposed into weapons and eventually gained self awareness before revolting against those that enslaved and used them. Yet they simply know nothing more than war, which is where we're currently at, trying to find purpose through violence as Lotus uses and/or helps us.

The Tenno are antiheroes at best and villains at worst.

Edited by NobleHawk

In regards to the Liset and his docking with the Orbitor. I personally have spoken to DE Steve via twitter and he assured me that at some point in the future that there will me to some degree customization to the expansion of the orbitor. As to when or to what extent he didn't say but it would be nice if it were soon. as its been 3 expansions since it came out.

@Helleborr; Because it would be boring if you could only play as one 'hero'. That's what the Tenno are essentially in game context, 'heroes'. Like in DC vs Marvel, you could be one hero one minute and another the next, but that doesn't mean it's the same consciousness inhabiting both bodies. Same thing for Lego Star Wars. Just because you can play as both Vader and Luke doesn't mean Vader and Luke are the same character.

LMAO Did you really just assume I've never played a game where you play as different characters? :DDDD You guys surprisingly miss the point. See below.

For what i remember they said that its not priority but one day they want to introduce it. and yea they only allow us to play many warframe cuz it would be really boring to just play one character for the entire game 

It's obvious that in real world we're allowed to play as different characters in this game because otherwise it would be boring. If you guys made the effort of reading this topic's title, perhaps you'd refrain from bringing up explanations taken straight from Captain Obvious' handbook.

What we're discussing here is what in-lore, in-universe explanation there is for us, the players, being able to play with different warframes. Lore absolutely DOES recognize us as the same entity in different warfarmes. One of Ordis' recently added lines, which he says when you exit the arsenal on Liset, states "Operator, your chosen warframe suits you. Haha". So, we, the Operators, are able to change warframes, while remaining the same being.

Moreover, when we complete the Limbo Theorem, Ordis says "Operator, I think I know why we're finding Limbo parts scattered throughout the system. His final rift walk was a miscal... disaster. Well, perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will use more... caution."

What can we deduce from here? That we're the not the (original) Limbo, and that now that we built him, we're able to "occupy" his frame. The only discrepancy that remains here is, like I said, whether warframes are suits, and we are shapechangers that can change gender and physique to fit into those suits, or if warframes are suit+body, and we are "souls" that are able to "occupy them.

Steve said that we will have the answer for the "What is a Tenno?" question this year. 

Also for the OP the current quest does it quite poorly but at one point they explain that something else is controlling the Chroma you are chasing. It is not Tenno controlled. 

Its more like a Specter of Chroma and then controlled remotely by something. It is believed to be the "voice" that the quest line has you chasing. 

Specters show that warframes can be operated by AIs at a reduced power compared to Tenno operated ones. This shows that war-frames are just suits and can be mass produced based on an existing design. We can literally make armies of these things. 

As for the liset and our use of warframes. You are one being that can put on different warframes. That is fixed in the lore now. However it is not clearly how you alter yourself to wear male/female, big/small warframes. You could be a being of pure energy or you could be able to modifiy your body structure. 

As for the liset docking. The ship we dock to is finalised: 

http://sbigham.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Tenno-Carrier-511644760

These ships can be seen flying around the sky box of relays. On the liset anything below the entrance ramp is part of the carrier. However currently we only have access to the smallest portion of this. 

This is one of those instances where I've always treated the gameplay mechanics as separate from the lore.

Mechanically, it's just convenient to be able to swap between frames, whether it's to suit the needs of the moment, or just to have fun.

I've always mained Ember, so lore-wise I think of her as being the "real" Tenno aboard my Liset.

On a related note, some of my own thoughts on the nature of Tenno and the Warframes:  My belief is that each Warframe we see in-game is representative of a general class of Warframe.  The overall shapes and aesthetics are the same for Warframes of that class, but the specific details vary on an individual basis.  For instance, "Ember" (after the original) is a designation for that type of frame, constructed for those Tenno who gained pyrokinetic abilities as a result of Void exposure.

This is one of those instances where I've always treated the gameplay mechanics as separate from the lore.

Mechanically, it's just convenient to be able to swap between frames, whether it's to suit the needs of the moment, or just to have fun.

I've always mained Ember, so lore-wise I think of her as being the "real" Tenno aboard my Liset.

On a related note, some of my own thoughts on the nature of Tenno and the Warframes:  My belief is that each Warframe we see in-game is representative of a general class of Warframe.  The overall shapes and aesthetics are the same for Warframes of that class, but the specific details vary on an individual basis.  For instance, "Ember" (after the original) is a designation for that type of frame, constructed for those Tenno who gained pyrokinetic abilities as a result of Void exposure.

this^

but what about your non main frames what do you think about it? i personally like to think that i have a lot o other tenno in my orbitor and they are like a squad thats in a clan that "belongs" (beacuse not all in my clan follow the same path) to a syndicate that are tennos

it's not. they are different tenno. In my opinion since ordis treats all player the same why would it not treat different tenno the same, i mean, they are still operators (of the warframe at least)

Actually since U16 Ordis says something like "Operator, the Warframe you've chosen suits you really well!"

Can't recall the exact words, but it implies that there is one Tenno, which imo makes perfect sense.