Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Physical Damage And Status Builds Should Be Possible (And Viable)

Playford

Title.

Right now the way physical damage mods work means you are better off putting in elemental mods because they give better DPS, and status builds without elemental mods aren't possible because all status chance mods worth a damn are tied to dual stat mods.

I propose two simple changes:

Change physical damage mods to work the same way elemental mods do, adding damage that scales of the total base damage rather than a single component

And change the ordinary status mods to give 240% status chance, 40% per rank, which is equal to all 4 maxed dual stat mods (maybe then the damned 'D' polarity on weapons will be worth something)

Also, it's really weird to have rifle and shotgun mods go up to 30%, pistol to 60% and only melee go to 90%.

Seconded.

Although 240% for the pure status mod might be a little high, I think somewhere between 120 and 150 would be enough for it to be viable. It would also be nice if they updated the older nightmare mods that affect status chance (hammershot, stunning speed, others?) to give status bonuses more in line with the newer dual stat mods.

Alternate change: Make enemy scaling only increase by about .7 times what it does now (or whatever the amount necessary to not make our enemies OP because of this suggestion), and then remove the damage bonuses offered by elementals, instead letting them change a percentage of  the base damage to that element. They'll still offer a damage bonus provided you're modding for the right faction, and they'll have the useful procs available still, but it won't be a requirement to put as many on as possible.

Completely agreed with this, it's something I've wanted for ages. The fact that they've normalized all the elemental mods gives me hope that they will look at these sometime this year.

At the very least something needs to happen to the base status mods, they are beyond pathetic, it's next to impossible to build a status based weapon if you don't have 2 or more of the dual stat event mods. 

Alternate change: Make enemy scaling only increase by about .7 times what it does now (or whatever the amount necessary to not make our enemies OP because of this suggestion), and then remove the damage bonuses offered by elementals, instead letting them change a percentage of  the base damage to that element. They'll still offer a damage bonus provided you're modding for the right faction, and they'll have the useful procs available still, but it won't be a requirement to put as many on as possible.

Sound suggestion.  We need more of these and less BUFF EVERYTHING, MOAR DEEPS PLS suggestions.  

• 1 month later...

You would need to reduce scaling a lot more than this but ultimatly, if elemental mods would only scale off the base damage of the weapon you would have a more refined damage model(you could even scale elemental damage by I/P/S in differnt ways what would add a even better tool to ballance what weapons can do and what not), where I/P/S split and non elemental damage mods would be more important. For example the bolter prime or the marlok would be a fairly ballanced weapon with this, simply because her high base damage would not scale so well into elements that make her high pucture\impact focus not a problem against factions that are not weak to it, since the high base damage just carries over with matching elemental damage and makes the effective vs everything.

This would also improve the value of I/P/S mods, if elemental damage is affected by it, it would make a lot of sense to use a I/P/S mod to improve a strong weapon vs one faction or to lessen the weakness it got vs another faction. For example a Impact mod on a marlok could boost magnetic, cold and toxin damage, while a puncture mod on a boar prime could improve the corrosive damage as well as the proc chance for pucture, corrosive and blast.

Edited by Djego27

You would need to reduce scaling a lot more than this but ultimatly, if elemental mods would only scale off the base damage of the weapon you would have a more refined damage model(you could even scale elemental damage by I/P/S in differnt ways what would add a even better tool to ballance what weapons can do and what not), where I/P/S split and non elemental damage mods would be more important. For example the bolter prime or the marlok would be a fairly ballanced weapon with this, simply because her high base damage would not scale so well into elements that make her high pucture\impact focus not a problem against other factions, since the high base damage just carries over with matching elemental damage and makes the effective vs everything.

I would revise my scaling suggestion based on someone else's (I can't remember who unfortunately), and make scaling logistic rather than exponential. At about level 30 there would be a huge drop off in scaling increase, and it would be impossible for enemy effective health to get past 40. Without the elemental damage mods, they'd take around 5-15 shots to kill (depending on the type) which isn't bad IMO.

Well the biggest problem in scaling from my pov is that the damage scaling makes every HP mod and tanking next to useless at high levels and one shot mechanics just encurage to power spam/camping and CC setups instead of actually playing the game.

Armor should be additive to HP(like shields) not a multiplier and overall scaling is kind of strange in Warframe, every weapon needs core damage mods to do anything to any target past level 10, I/P/S split is more or less a not a important thing ouside of L80+ content where it mostly adds something you don't have to cover with elements(a boar prime or marlok will have no problem with shields so you don't need a ice mod, on slash based weapons you should use one in infinite content, simpy because shields will become a major problem even with slash procs) or where you get your proc(like with slash procs on a soma/braton/dread).

Overall with the game as it is, it is just DPS of the weapons what matters, outside of the strong status weapons, that have unique status mechanics(mutalist quanta, torid, mara detron, status shotguns etc.) what makes them quite good at high levels even with worse on paper stats.

Edited by Djego27