Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bioshock Creator Detailing His Next Game

TheErebus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/bioshock-creator-s-next-game-is-about-fluid-relati/1100-6426528/

So Ken Levine (the creator of System Shock 2 and Bioshock) has released a bit more info on his next title. Nothing about a release date or a name for the game, but on its primary feature: Fluid Relationships.

Here's a summary of what he's talkin' about: 

"In the new game, you have very fluid relationships with the characters. They have a spectrum of feeling about you based upon what you do and if you help them or go against them. That changes dynamically, and you can end the game with a character absolutely despising you or somewhere in the middle. The path to getting there doesn't have seven or eight stops like your traditional branching tree structure. It has potentially thousands of stops with hundreds of thousands of potential states you can be in with all your relationships to all the characters and wants."

'Tis quite interesting, although a lot of people are comparing it to Mass Effect. Even though I personally believe ME doesn't have a very well made relationship system in it. I mean, I love the characters but nothing 'bout it screams real to me. It seems what Levin is trying to do is make things more realistic.

Although...Levine is starting to sound like Peter Molyneux.

Edited by LordAntiFun

Emotional investment wise Bioshock series were pretty good, but Bioshock infinite had some problem with gunplay,

A.I and linearity (no really like it was always move forward maybe return once you lockpicks to open safe)

I hope they will improve in that aspect more.

Emotional investment wise Bioshock series were pretty good, but Bioshock infinite had some problem with gunplay,

A.I and linearity (no really like it was always move forward maybe return once you lockpicks to open safe)

I hope they will improve in that aspect more.

Not sure if the game will be a shooter. It's gonna be sci-fi but for all we know it could be another Amnesia with no combat and PUZZLES.

Not sure if the game will be a shooter. It's gonna be sci-fi but for all we know it could be another Amnesia with no combat and PUZZLES.

I hope it is not hide-n-seek game, absolutely despise those.

Don't mind puzzles and talking your way out of trouble thingy though.

"It has potentially thousands of stops with hundreds of thousands of potential states you can be in with all your relationships to all the characters and wants."

I don't see it.

If ME or a Jedi game stored your alignment as a number between one and a trillion they could claim that there are "BILLIONS OF STATES" but it doesn't really matter. It's still just a branching story that goes left or right based on your number's relationship to a threshhold. You could make a very complex set of branches, but it's still a complex set of branches. Same thing with A.I. where they could consider you friend vs foe, or maybe have individual actions like willingness to cover / wait / revive etc based on all their own threshholds... it's still not "thousands of states".

I feel like he's declaring he's going to make "a good game" and trying to make that optimism sound technical.

But what do I know? I'm just some A******.

I find it to be a bad horror game.

Bad or not, you can't deny that it was at least unique and decently crafted, surely.

It was actual horror instead of action horror. It didn't rely on jump scares. It had an actual story.

The puzzles were a bit lame, but eh.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Bad or not, you can't deny that it was at least unique and decently crafted, surely.

It was actual horror instead of action horror. It didn't rely on jump scares. It had an actual story.

The puzzles were a bit lame, but eh.

Sure it was decently crafted, but it failed on lasting horror. 

Story wise was good, but again, horror-wise it failed at keeping it scary.