Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Square Enix Title: Star Ocean Five

TheErebus.

Star Ocean is, from what I understand, a Tri-Ace studios game series. Same people behind Valkyrie Profile, and all Square Enix seem to do is publish it. I'd love to see another Valkyrie Profile entry admittedly, but patient people.

Only ever played 'The Last Hope' which...was ok but a few of the character's irritated me for their idiocy about a few matters. Combat was fun though, and the aesthetic was entertaining at least.

One thing I do know, however is that odds are good that, being a Tri-Ace game, it's possible it will have music composed by Motoi Sakuraba, who's...pretty much been part of the soundtrack for nearly every game Tri-ace have ever made, if memory serves. Brilliant stuff, and when you recognise his signature style, you know you're onto some good music.

Sakuraba music potential aside, honestly, I think you can describe Star Ocean as 'Star Trek: JRPG' and you're arguably pretty set. If I recall something I read on TV Tropes, they apparently quote Star Trek at one point.

Pity it's on systems I don't own. Oh well. I'm just happy to see Tri-Ace doing stuff.

Apologies for going on, as always.

Star Ocean is, from what I understand, a Tri-Ace studios game series. Same people behind Valkyrie Profile, and all Square Enix seem to do is publish it. I'd love to see another Valkyrie Profile entry admittedly, but patient people.

Only ever played 'The Last Hope' which...was ok but a few of the character's irritated me for their idiocy about a few matters. Combat was fun though, and the aesthetic was entertaining at least.

One thing I do know, however is that odds are good that, being a Tri-Ace game, it's possible it will have music composed by Motoi Sakuraba, who's...pretty much been part of the soundtrack for nearly every game Tri-ace have ever made, if memory serves. Brilliant stuff, and when you recognise his signature style, you know you're onto some good music.

Sakuraba music potential aside, honestly, I think you can describe Star Ocean as 'Star Trek: JRPG' and you're arguably pretty set. If I recall something I read on TV Tropes, they apparently quote Star Trek at one point.

Pity it's on systems I don't own. Oh well. I'm just happy to see Tri-Ace doing stuff.

Apologies for going on, as always.

I see, well I may give it a shot. Always looking for more RPGs to try out.

No not turn based thank god you were locked to a battlefield with the enemy that you hit or hit you and you could run around using your attacks and abilities and also switch to the characters in your party.

Ah so it's kinda like Tales of Xillia (in a sense)

Edited by TheErebus.

lol dose anyone remember a old square game called Vagrant Story back on the PS1? I would love for them to reboot that game.

Isn't that one of the Ivalice Alliance entries? Something to do with the Gran Grimoire makes the city?

This it?

As for Star Ocean: From what I played of Last Hope, it's more like Tales of games combat approach than Final Fantasy Turn based deals.

You've got Health, SomethingorotherP and your skills and techniques. Sci-fi as it goes, you've still got characters who use basically 'magic' in the form of Symbology.

Course, again, only one game to base information off of, so I have poor base. But, I imagine that, like all Tri-Ace entries, they're probably going to have the Bonus Boss Ethereal/Iseria Queen in there, somewhere. She's their personal fallback in every title I've played by them; Valkyrie Profile, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean...

If you stumble onto a place called the Seraphic Gate...prepare for pain. And humour, depending. But pain, definitely pain.

I've played SMT. I know J-RPG pain.

YHVH.gif

*spine chills*

Did you know that, for TV Tropes, Atlus are actually the onsite Gods of 'That One Boss'?

Sadly only have Persona 3 P to base my experiences on for that side though. Still, Atlus. They enjoy our suffering, and that's putting it politely.

And people say your threads are not pointless.

*opens a thread about a random game he doesn't know anything about*

A. My news thread aren't pointless as people can learn about a new game coming out or news about gaming.

B. So what if I don't know anything about a game? I can learn.

C. If you find my threads pointless, then don't bother posting in them if you wont do anything productive in them.

A. My news thread aren't pointless as people can learn about a new game coming out or news about gaming.

B. So what if I don't know anything about a game? I can learn.

C. If you find my threads pointless, then don't bother posting in them if you wont do anything productive in them.

For one, the title didn't imply you are clueless about the game you are opening the thread for.

But I guess I'll open a thread for the remake of Abe's Exodus now. Even though I don't know anything about Abe's Odyssey and the other games.

Let's just open a thread for every game really.

But I guess I'll open a thread for the remake of Abe's Exodus now. Even though I don't know anything about Abe's Odyssey and the other games.

Let's just open a thread for every game really.

Go ahead. 

There's nothing wrong with that.

For one, the title didn't imply you are clueless about the game you are opening the thread for.

Your point is?

Star Ocean.~ Oh my. How I have missed you. Another game in this series will definitely take some serious time away from Warframe. I wonder if Welch Vineyard will make an appearance in this one ......

More J-RPGs are coming out and I'm not gonna have enough time ;A;

Persona 5....

Edited by TheErebus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-ocean-5-announced-for-ps4-ps3/1100-6426610/

Das right, Star ocean 5 has been announced for the PS3 and PS4.

AND....

I don't know what it is. It's a J-RPG but...I don't know anything else about it.

YESSSSSS... Oh square enix.. you spoil me. First a good final fantasy, then Just cause 3, and now a new star ocean :3 today is happy day and nothing can ruin it. NOTHING.

-snip-

-snip

Star ocean basically made real time combat JRPGs. Pretty sure they bet the Tales series to the punch with it.

The other main thing they did was add certain interactions between characters that could be made by doing certain things, which also unlocked different endings. Star Ocean the last hope was the first one I played, but I went back and tried the others.

The only 3 things I could say went wrong with the last hope was:

1. The story telling seemed like it was aimed at a far younger audience than what it should have been.

2. Once you defeated the final boss you had to start the game over, you couldn't go back to the world and do the advanced arenas without starting NG+ and redoing the entire campaign up to that point

3. A lot of the time you had to figure out what you had to do to continue the campaign, IE find a person that is not hinted to and make a conversation with them.

To be honest I wasn't too bothered if star ocean was discontinued because the new final fantasy is using an improved version of star oceans combat system, instead of the turn based system which is kind of outdated these days. But having a new Star ocean as well is great.