Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam Workshop Mods Now Have Paid Option

Morgax

I'm currently not in the Skyrim modding loop but from what i've seen Ineed mod was not updated in 2 months and pops out on Steam workshop with updated version.

Needless to say, some of nexus commenters were preparing pitchforks and torches.

It's already been happening with a couple of them.

*sigh*

Sad to hear it. For me, modding is a hobby (unless you're doing it for money if someone asked). I mean, hey, if you want to get some $$$ for your work, then create an online wallet account so people could donate to you and support your work.

Btw, are there any guarantees that it won't crash or hopelessly conflict with other mods? I can only imagine if you paid for mod and it will have gamebreaking bugs, meh.

*sigh*

Sad to hear it. For me, modding is a hobby (unless you're doing it for money if someone asked). I mean, hey, if you want to get some $$$ for your work, then create an online wallet account so people could donate to you and support your work.

Btw, are there any guarantees that it won't crash or hopelessly conflict with other mods? I can only imagine if you paid for mod and it will have gamebreaking bugs, meh.

No guarantees, howeever you have the option to refund it.

One of the largest flaws I just found out was that you can pay for it - copy the files - then get a refund for the item. Place the copy back into your folders and presto! You got the mod for free anyhow. It'll be interesting to see how this is handled.

All my yeeeesh!

+1 for the info.

Before today, I had never figured that the existence of "Mod Pirating" would ever be a thing.  If Steam keeps this system, today would be the birth of such piracy.  

And I would shed not a single tear for the modders who decided to use the Pay 4 Mods system.

Before today, I had never figured that the existence of "Mod Pirating" would ever be a thing.  If Steam keeps this system, today would be the birth of such piracy.  

And I would shed not a single tear for the modders who decided to use the Pay 4 Mods system.

mod pirating has been a thing now for a while. I reported someone on the nexus for admitting to having a pirated copy of skyrim and I kid you not soon after there was someone with the name ISOHUNT complaining about loosing money and asking how long the other guys ban was going to last. went to isohunt and there was a psa that it would take a while since their supplier was indisposed(or whatever the word is) at the moment.

Yeah, awesome, Valve had a neat idea in mind and absolutely, utterly botched it. Again.

-Paywalling user made content turns Skyrim's workshop into thousands of tiny tiny DLC of questionable quality.

-75% cut from the content they have absolutely no hand in creating purely because there is no competition against their platform; Bethesda taking a 45% cut only is far better and even that is still a crappy situation, but Valve just couldn't not take 30% more on top of that.

-AND ON TOP OF THAT a mod maker has to sell $100 worth of copies of their mod first to even see their first pennies.

-Lack of any moderation will turn Workshop into a trash dump that is Greenlight - no, no, even worse. Mods stolen from Nexus and sold illegally, unfinished mods charged for like it's Early Access Crappy Mod Edition. On day 1. On. Day. One.

-Inconsistent pricing due to all of the above brings some of the mod packs above the price of the Legendary Edition.
-24 hour refund window. That one is just hilarious. Let's say you found a mod, you got curious, you purchased it, you liked it and found no issues with it and asked for no refund. Later, past the 24 hour period, the mod developer rolls out an update that causes the mod to crash because of sudden incompatibility with that other mod you have. What do you do? As per Valve's FAQ, you politely inform the mod developer about the issue and hope they'll resolve it. Valve just straight up goes "nope, not our responsibility in the slightest! *cough*75%cut*cough*" and, just to spite you, takes the control out of your hands as well. Good luck getting through to Valve's customer service should this ever happen to you. Especially if it involves a mod pack that's sold for more than the bloody game itself.
-Mod pages that ask for donations outside of Steam are being removed from Workshop. Evil, evil, evil.

Simply going donationware without taking a huge cut (Seriously, Valve's just hoarding money at this point, it's not like they're making any @(*()$ games anymore) in the first place would have resolved all of the issues that could have arisen - of which there would be far less to start with.
So sad.

Edited by Artarrwen

to be honest I'm happy for modders now that they can earn with their free time or talent.

Although the cut between Steam and modders is stupid. 75% goes to Valve. Gaben, why?

This is like huge companies with many lawyers screwing with freelancers.

Edited by faustias

Actually to be on topic, I absolutely despise this. Now I'm not even going to touch steam workshop and go directly to Nexus mods for any kind of modifications.

Modding should be free to everyone to enjoy. Even if it's 1$, I don't wanna pay for a pack of weapons that were made by someone else when I can get them for free somewhere else.

Actually no, I'm not gonna call them mods.

I'm calling them DLC. Because that they are now. DLC.

We gotta pay to have them in the game. No other option other than Nexus. Which I highly recommend you use.

Edited by TheErebus.

Actually to be on topic, I absolutely despise this. Now I'm not even going to touch steam workshop and go directly to Nexus mods for any kind of modifications.

Modding should be free to everyone to enjoy. Even if it's 1$, I don't wanna pay for a pack of weapons that were made by someone else when I get then for free somewhere else.

the wiseman speaketh

pretty much i agree,+1