The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Crafting is cool and all, but....

Havenbrook

This game feels like over 60% of it revolves around crafting. I feel like there is less gameplay of actual storyline or equipment, and that the only thing that really matters is crafting. Maybe I am the only one. Two new weapons on the market recently, both have to be crafted.

The HEK, has to be crafted, along with A LOT of other weapons. The amount of melee weapons that are craftable is astounding to me, and not in a good way. When ever I hop on to play Warframe with people, almost 80% of the time its "lets go get this part i need to make this item"

That is great fun once in a while, but not everytime. There is nothing wrong with the people i play with, as they do want to do other things, but the other things they want to do are low priority vs getting a new frame on the build bench, or a new weapon. And to be frank, i feel the same way.

I would like to express how sad this makes me. I dont mind crafting in games, but when it becomes that almost the entire game revolves around it, it turns me off on the game. I hope that this feedback will help generate a more PVE driven storyline wrapped around mods or other kinds of loot that are not specific to crafting, as the majority of a game should not be wrapped around crafting IMO.

Edited by Havenbrook

This game feels like over 60% of it revolves around crafting. I feel like there is less gameplay of actual storyline or equipment, and that the only thing that really matters is crafting. Maybe I am the only one. Two new weapons on the market recently, both have to be crafted.

The HEK, has to be crafted, along with A LOT of other weapons. The amount of melee weapons that are craftable is astounding to me, and not in a good way. When ever I hop on to play Warframe with my friends, almost 80% of the time its "lets go get this part i need to make this item"

That is great fun once in a while, but not everytime. There is nothing wrong with my friends, as they do want to do other things, but the other things they want to do are low priority vs getting a new frame on the build bench, or a new weapon. And to be frank, i feel the same way.

I would like to express how sad this makes me. I dont mind crafting in games, but when it becomes that almost the entire game revolves around it, it turns me off on the game. I hope that this feedback will help generate a more PVE driven storyline wrapped around mods or other kinds of loot that are not specific to crafting, as the majority of a game should not be wrapped around crafting IMO.

only top-tier weapons/cosmetically cool weapons are craft for CREDITS. i think its a great idea to sell top-tier weapons and frames as blueprints. it makes people want to buy platinum to avoid the long build times (and 12 hours aint long bucko).

Edited by JayWalker
Removed insults. Carry on...

Never eally thought about this.

But now that you brought it up, let me express my feelings too.

1: HEK is not just craftable, so it not has to be crafted.

2: Storyline has holes, i agree on that. Altough I'm sure that the Devs are working on it.

3: I don't mind farming reagents for crafting. Now that i think of it... Games are about killing. Killing cause the story tells you to, or killing cause you need to obtain reagents, or just need mods/upgrades.

You said "other things they want to do are low priority".

That made me curious. Care to give a few examples what exectly is being pushed back on their/your list because of crafting?

As i see you would still just kill. No matter what your goal is.

What's the difference between kill and kill?

Story line will grow as the time go, but for now on it make sense , since tennos were dormant for "a lot"

it's legit for them to have to rebuild arsenal and capture artefect, if you think twice about it

Tenno were dormant , world been taken by grineer , tenno wake up with barely nothing to go on the front ofc the y need fire power now, they only have blue prints from the past and need materials it make sense for me now, and it will change soon enough..

Never eally thought about this.

But now that you brought it up, let me express my feelings too.

1: HEK is not just craftable, so it not has to be crafted.

2: Storyline has holes, i agree on that. Altough I'm sure that the Devs are working on it.

3: I don't mind farming reagents for crafting. Now that i think of it... Games are about killing. Killing cause the story tells you to, or killing cause you need to obtain reagents, or just need mods/upgrades.

You said "other things they want to do are low priority".

That made me curious. Care to give a few examples what exectly is being pushed back on their/your list because of crafting?

As i see you would still just kill. No matter what your goal is.

What's the difference between kill and kill?

"low priority": for me doing things other then farming, almost everything is lower prority to that. Which can get tedious and boring, but there feels like there is simply to much crafting in this game that is required. Maybe i am not seeing anything else to do right now because i have done a lot of it already, but end game it feels like it is ALL about crafting.

Leveling up comes with farming of resources for that crafting, so you go with the goal to get x amount of resources, and if you level up a weapon in the process, cool. For example, I am working on getting reactors and catalyst so I can go pro with my weapons and frame now due to them being above lvl 15 now. The only other option is to pay money to unlock them and go that route. Which again brings us back to the subject of paying, but that is not what im talking about and would like to avoid that subject here.

Yes killing is killing, however with the goal of resource hunting, it has become habit to open every locker, and supply crate possible on a map, which makes the enemys feel like an annoyance honestly. I do understand this is beta, however i would like to see the game deviate away from it feeling like crafting is the end-game.

Edited by Havenbrook

Story line will grow as the time go, but for now on it make sense , since tennos were dormant for "a lot"

it's legit for them to have to rebuild arsenal and capture artefect, if you think twice about it

Tenno were dormant , world been taken by grineer , tenno wake up with barely nothing to go on the front ofc the y need fire power now, they only have blue prints from the past and need materials it make sense for me now, and it will change soon enough..

Wow, I've never seen it this way and it actually makes sense now.

only top-tier weapons/cosmetically cool weapons are craft for CREDITS. i think its a great idea to sell top-tier weapons and frames as blueprints. it makes people want to buy platinum to avoid the long build times (and 12 hours aint long bucko).

You are incorrect, the high tier weapons do a great deal of damage and are very fast, as they are not just for looks. Additionally not everything is "craft for credits", for example the Jaw/Dark/Heat/Plasma Swords. You have to get the blueprint and then use resources to craft them.

The weapons i mentioned ARE NOT availible for purchase in the market. I also was not refering to crafting times at all in this post, please do not think this is about that. What i am worried about is that the game will expand and will be a game we play for 2 hours to farm, then build stuff, farm more, build more.

With this being said, a farm/build game would not be a game i would want to play. This is why i am very worried about future expansions of the game content. I would love to see more storyline and more things revolving around hard to get mods, or other things that are not crafting related.

Edited by JayWalker
removed insults...carry on...

Considering that the game is a dungeon crawler, I don't see this as an issue. As with any other dungeon crawler, clearing a randomly generated content while getting awesome loot in the process, over and over again, is the norm. What we do lack in this stage of development is enough tileset and loot/blueprint diversity. Add few more tileset for level generation, slap on top of that 30-40 new wep/frame blueprints and extra mod diversity and the potential of the game goes up.

As a side note, it would be nice to see more blueprints that are not obtained through the market (or the complete item via plat), but rather you'd need to get it from a drop and craft it.

I get where you're coming from Havenbrook. As much as I love the gameplay right now, it is a little lacking in the lore/story aspect. To have the game revolve around getting/forging stuff would be boring if it wasn't for *something*. A huge event or something, a final fight, winning the war, etc.

Considering that the game is a dungeon crawler, I don't see this as an issue.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Dungeon_crawl

While it draws heavily on the genre, excessive farming should be seen as an issue.

I personally do not want to play a game that only revolves around loot and killing things over and over again.

It's okay for games like Torchlight 2, Diablo 2 and the like, but not this. The gameplay has to be satisfying enough to be able to suspend the feeling of grinding. I don't know how many people like this currently, but I feel that way. I don't know what I'm working towards and I want more content, that's not to say that I want more things to craft even though that would be good either way; It's just that I feel lost as a player and the game is quickly becoming one of grinding.

The meaning of this post is not to discredit your view, merely to put forward why others might not share it.

Edited by Gilgas

See the revised post.

Well, I'm all for new content, but I doubt very much this will move too far away from its dungeon crawler style core. It's very much a game for those who enjoy the Diablo style play. Borderlands 2 is good example of devs fimdng a balance between content/story and the dungeon crawler loot based style, it's still very much a fps diablo, and Warframe is pretty much a TPS Diablo.

I'd be happy with constant content updates and a decent story, but then loot chasing is something I enjoy.

Well, I'm all for new content, but I doubt very much this will move too far away from its dungeon crawler style core. It's very much a game for those who enjoy the Diablo style play. Borderlands 2 is good example of devs fimdng a balance between content/story and the dungeon crawler loot based style, it's still very much a fps diablo, and Warframe is pretty much a TPS Diablo.

I'd be happy with constant content updates and a decent story, but then loot chasing is something I enjoy.

Same here. I enjoy those games a lot but only when I can suspend the feeling that I'm grinding which is most of the time(EDIT: I mean that I can suspend it most of the time.). For now the content mostly consists of farming for materials for few and far between upgrades and weapons you want to try out; as well as flipping through mods. We can only trust that the devs will bring enough content to the table for the playerbase to enjoy. As far as I know this hasn't been in closed beta for very long, so I'm quite sure that they'll be able to deliver as long as they don't screw up their chosen business model.

Edited by Gilgas

http://en.wikipedia....i/Dungeon_crawl

While it draws heavily on the genre, excessive farming should be seen as an issue.

I personally do not want to play a game that only revolves around loot and killing things over and over again.

It's okay for games like Torchlight 2, Diablo 2 and the like, but not this. The gameplay has to be satisfying enough to be able to suspend the feeling of grinding. I don't know how many people like this currently, but I feel that way. I don't know what I'm working towards and I want more content, that's not to say that I want more things to craft even though that would be good either way; It's just that I feel lost as a player and the game is quickly becoming one of grinding.

The meaning of this post is not to discredit your view, merely to put forward why others might not share it.

I can see what you are going for here and I do not blame you, and I can definitely agree on the content point, a diversity is always welcomed. The addition of new tilsets and enemy types can make the concept of constant grind very refreshing, even if in a passive manner. While I don't mind t he grind (I've spent the past decade going through few big MMOs so I'm down with it, assuming the end reward is worth it), I would be up for giving a context to all our actions.

I wouldn't want an actual story, to hell with the generic, infantile and dull stories of major battles, winning wars and saviours/heroes. If Warframe is to give a context to things, it should look it up into the Warhammer 40k lore, where there are no plans to end the conflicts and the war is ever changing but never ending. Giving a purpose to our actions, even within the context of a single planet system would be a huge plus and if possible, implementing some buffs and bonuses for those actions (Like credit/exp boost if certain missions and/or objectives are accomplished within a specific planetary system)

While I do not mind the dungeon crawling essence of the game and the constant farming of materials and gear (as long as they intend and plan to keep adding S#&$tones of it to make every player as versatile and defined as individually possible), I'm definitely for adding a context, meaning and a specific goal to our actions outside of said mission objectives. It should add enough railroading and some sort of grand meaning to the actions of players who can't be *pacified* otherwise.

I can see what you are going for here and I do not blame you, and I can definitely agree on the content point, a diversity is always welcomed. The addition of new tilsets and enemy types can make the concept of constant grind very refreshing, even if in a passive manner. While I don't mind t he grind (I've spent the past decade going through few big MMOs so I'm down with it, assuming the end reward is worth it), I would be up for giving a context to all our actions.

I wouldn't want an actual story, to hell with the generic, infantile and dull stories of major battles, winning wars and saviours/heroes. If Warframe is to give a context to things, it should look it up into the Warhammer 40k lore, where there are no plans to end the conflicts and the war is ever changing but never ending. Giving a purpose to our actions, even within the context of a single planet system would be a huge plus and if possible, implementing some buffs and bonuses for those actions (Like credit/exp boost if certain missions and/or objectives are accomplished within a specific planetary system)

While I do not mind the dungeon crawling essence of the game and the constant farming of materials and gear (as long as they intend and plan to keep adding S#&$tones of it to make every player as versatile and defined as individually possible), I'm definitely for adding a context, meaning and a specific goal to our actions outside of said mission objectives. It should add enough railroading and some sort of grand meaning to the actions of players who can't be *pacified* otherwise.

I agree.

+1

If Warframe is to give a context to things, it should look it up into the Warhammer 40k lore, where there are no plans to end the conflicts and the war is ever changing but never ending.

Yep. +1

I guess, to put it simply, we don't mind the grind as long as there's decent and interesting context and diversity in terms of gameplay and items (frames, weaponry and such).

right now im content with the mat grind->build->mat grind -> build->... but curently i love my shotgun, 2x pistles, and sword combo so i dont plan on making any other weps (maby an axe and a sniper for testing purposes) but once i build all of the frames im prity much done with building. then once all of them are lvl 30 then i will have a problem. if i didnt have a life and played 24/7 i could probly do this in a month (only taking this long due to the wait times of the builds)