Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, About The Sybaris...

Sil3nc3r

I'm gonna leave the stats here just for reference.

DAMAGE:  54

TRIGGER:  BURST

NOISE:  ALARMING

MAGAZINE:  10

HEADSHOT MULTIPLIER:  2.0(?)

FIRE RATE:  3.3

ACCURACY:  28.6

Put bluntly, the Sybaris is a burst-fire rifle that fires 2 shots every burst. It is a non-hitscan weapon (as per the wiki entry) which can make landing the second shot very annoying when aiming for long range targets. Added to this is the fact that the burst itself is rather slow and, most of the time, makes it damn right near impossible to land the 2 burst shots on a target that's moving at a decent speed (coptering comes into mind here).

Oh and the low magazine size means you won't be able to spam the S#&$ out of it either.

On the plus side, it deals 54 damage per shot and can kill an Excalibur in 2 bursts given that you manage to land all 4 shots. It's potential DPS can actually be higher than a Latron if you time the bursts correctly.

Now, I have a simple issue with this weapon. In its current state, it has insane potential but at the same time, it doesn't quite cut it when compared to the Latron (which I consider to be the Sybaris' counterpart).

The burst-fire mechanic makes it interesting to use because it would mean that in order to optimize damage output, one would need to land every shot from the burst which in turn means that ammo economy would also be a problem since you're spitting out more bullets in less time to reach decent DPS. Having mentioned this, take another look at the Sybaris' stats, specifically the magazine size.

10 bullets.

Given that each burst fires 2 bullets, that means you only have 5 shots before having to reload.

Knowing this, I really wouldn't recommend the weapon for short range encounters (you'd probably get melee'd to death anyways) unless you have decent aiming skills and a bit of luck.

What about long range? Well the fact it's not a hitscan weapon means that you'll need to slightly compensate for the speed at which your target is moving. To make matters worse, the aforementioned burst mechanic will be troublesome as every shot comes out one after the other thus you will also need to compensate for this by tracking your target as best you possibly can with your aim.

Thus, this weapon is also not exactly suited for long range and you would probably die from an experienced Lex/Latron user.

Lastly, medium range. Many weapons find a suitable niche here, too many in fact. These are usually the automatic weapons that forgives its user for missing a few shots and, most the time, people tend to drift to either long range or short range when in this situation.

Which brings me to my case, HOW DAFUQ IS THE SYBARIS SUPPOSED TO FIT IN THIS CURRENT META?

Considering the Latron can outperform almost every gun in almost every range if you have the aiming skills for it, and that Lex Prime is clearly the long range king at the moment, I fail to see how the Sybaris can efficiently compete with the other weapons.

Sure, you can get a few kills with it. Land a few nice shots and so on, but if you were to consider that several players (including me) have been using the Latron/Lex combo for a while and gotten pretty damn decent with it, this brings the question:

What does the Sybaris have over the Latron?

Basically put, potentially higher DPS. Note I used the word 'potentially' and not 'consistently'.

Why? Because the slow fire-rate doesn't cope well with the fact that people can move at fast speeds which means that landing both shots can be outright impossible at times and given the low magazine size, it's not suitable for short range either. Hek, even the Latron has more shots and it's a freaking semi-automatic weapon.

To my eyes, the Sybaris is a potential alternative to the Latron but, in it's current state, it's sitting somewhere in between balanced and under-powered.

The only suggestion I can currently think of is drastically increasing the fire-rate for the burst at the cost of more time between each burst. I can live with the fact it's not a hitscan weapon since that only really matters when shooting over long distances (and I'd probably switch to my Lex Prime anyways).

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make it better? Also if I missed something or you completely disagree, go ahead and leave a post about it. I wanna keep this open for debate.

Edited by Sil3nc3r

Sybaris is a burst fire weapon, you really can't compare it to the latron, which isn't burst fire. You should be comparing it to the burston/prime, and the tiberon(when that gets into PvP).

Edit: It's like the age old argument, "which is better, the boltor prime or the soma prime?" neither, because one is hitscan and the other is not, therefore you cannot compare the two.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

First of all Sybaris is hitscan, so half of your thread goes wrong.
Second, are you talking about meta and weapons fitting it yet?

What I'd suggest is to slow the fire rate for every weapon which can potentially one-two shot (Sybaris, Latrons), as shooting repeatedly at a target head in a fraction of second is extremely easy. Take as an example the basic Lex.

Edited by [DE]Danielle

Sybaris is a burst fire weapon, you really can't compare it to the latron, which isn't burst fire. You should be comparing it to the burston/prime, and the tiberon(when that gets into PvP).

Edit: It's like the age old argument, "which is better, the boltor prime or the soma prime?" neither, because one is hitscan and the other is not, therefore you cannot compare the two.

On the contrary actually. Given the Sybaris' current stats, I feel like it should be able to compete with a Latron which is why I'm comparing it with the Latron and pointing out some strange flaws (such as the higher magazine size in the Latron whereas the Sybaris has a lower magazine size and is harder to land shots consistently with). Plus, the only suitable weapon for comparison (by your words) currently is the Sicarus which, in all honesty, sucks and should be looked into.

I'm not looking to nerf the Latron but rather bring the Sybaris to the Latron's level of efficiency.

And I disagree that you can't compare the Soma and Boltor. The fact one is hitscan and the other isn't doesn't mean they shouldn't be put one against another in a debate. But let's not drift from the main topic.

I'm pretty sure the Sybaris is hitscan. Or is it somehow different in PVP?

I'd like to believe you, but the wiki and my personal experience with the Sybaris (in PvP) state otherwise.

Edited by Sil3nc3r

I just ran a mission on Earth to try out the Sybaris once more. I can say with 100% certainty that the bullets are hitscan, or just fast enough to be utterly indistinguishable. Either you are wrong, or the weapon behaves differently in PVP, which is possible.

Either way, i sort of think it could go with a bigger magazine or faster reload. Five trigger pulls and then reload is pretty weak.

I just ran a mission on Earth to try out the Sybaris once more. I can say with 100% certainty that the bullets are hitscan, or just fast enough to be utterly indistinguishable. Either you are wrong, or the weapon behaves differently in PVP, which is possible.

Either way, i sort of think it could go with a bigger magazine or faster reload. Five trigger pulls and then reload is pretty weak.

Can't say for sure really.

its an alternative to lex, not to latron, look at the number of shots per magazine and to the amount of potential damage, its an easier to hit lex, that deals half damage if you aim bad

Actually, I have less of an issue with the Lex than with this due to the ammo consumption and the fact that it doesn't rely on burst-firing.

Also, like I already mentioned, the Lex is better suited for long range than the Sybaris because of the burst. And it's not just about aiming bad but also about how fast your target is going.

EDIT: Tested it in PvE and you are right Evil, it's hitscan. I'd need to re-test it in PvP to be sure.

Edited by Sil3nc3r

Sybaris in pvp its a hitscan weapon, its different if no one cant land shots.
I already try it and i can say its a fun and powerfull weapon. as before I say another buff its going to make OP the weapon.

And it's not just about aiming bad but also about how fast your target is going.

Yep that is the problem with coptering, current ttk, and weapon choice. Sybaris its okay right now, another buff, dagh op weapon without need it.

I destroy people with the Sybaris its too good. I don't see a problem with it.

with copt. it hits nothing, and easily be kill by copt lexs....

looks like it need to RMB aim to be "accurate" which other single shot weapon don;t need

Edited by Cary2010haha

I destroy people with the Sybaris its too good. I don't see a problem with it.

The problem is that the burst is too slow when you take in count the speed at which people can copter/run/fly at.

Sure it destroys people if they don't move much but anything (especially a Latron or Lex) can destroy someone that doesn't have proper movement.

I don't think you understand what it means to compare two things.

All of the things you mentioned can be compared. They have a few aspects that are hard to compare (hitscan vs projectile), but you can still make the comparison once you determine what those had to compare factors mean to you.

Just because it isn't s traight numbers comparison doesn't mean it can't be compared. You only need to understand how much travel time or burst means to you as a player, and how much it matters varies from person to person.

Personally, I prefer the Soma P over the Boltor P in PvP because I can't hit fast moving tenno with projectiles easily. Someone else may not have a problem with that, but may dislike the spin up time on the Soma P, therefore preferring the Boltor P for it's constant fire rate. See? Easy comparison, it just doesn't include numbers.