Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Theraph - Arachnid-Summoner Warframe

Krion112

Uh...question, Why name him more after Tarantulas when it seems most of his abilities are web spinner in style, also, the 'design' of him is more....alien than arachnid in my opinion (large head, large 'hands' no notice-able eyes, and a cape?)  was that intentional, or just how it turned out?

-snip-

Tarantulas can still spin webs. In fact most, if not all, Tarantula species possess spinnerets on each foot. They tend not to make orbs, but that does not mean they cannot spin silk. Also, entirely out of preference, my favorite arachnids are Tarantulas.

His design is a result of my dislike of over the top, explicit designs of Warframes. Things like Zephyr, Limbo, and Hydroid throw out their theme too much, in my opinion, so I tried to design him to be more ambiguous. However, I hint at his arachnid origins, as his default helmet is designed after the backside of a certain mimicking spider species, and his midsection features eight (four on each side) ports which resemble spider eyes. His cape is reminiscent of the large abdomens on most spiders, however only the pattern on the back would make it obvious, but I haven't had the chance to draw it.

Some things have changed in an updated design I've been working out in my head, with one such example being pedipalp-like structures being added to the helmet.

However, despite these hints, he himself is less themed after arachnids, and is more-so themed after musical conductors. The binding thread is that arachnids in general are very sensitive to touch and vibration, and it would be suggested that his minions follow his command based upon sound. His minions are the ones more themed after arachnids, however I have yet to complete the drawings for them, and also have yet to fix the Prowler's design.

I'm more a game-designer than a visual designer, so I'm better at coming up with a set of powers more-so than I am at using a theme. The arachnid theme was the last thought I had on the concept before posting, and it seems to have worked out as many people very much enjoyed it.

You're not the first to talk of his lack of arachnidian appearance, so one of the designs I have planned is a sort of deluxe skin, which would be more explicit in the use of the theme. However, by default, his design would be this.

Tarantulas can still spin webs. In fact most, if not all, Tarantula species possess spinnerets on each foot. They tend not to make orbs, but that does not mean they cannot spin silk. Also, entirely out of preference, my favorite arachnids are Tarantulas.

His design is a result of my dislike of over the top, explicit designs of Warframes. Things like Zephyr, Limbo, and Hydroid throw out their theme too much, in my opinion, so I tried to design him to be more ambiguous. However, I hint at his arachnid origins, as his default helmet is designed after the backside of a certain mimicking spider species, and his midsection features eight (four on each side) ports which resemble spider eyes. His cape is reminiscent of the large abdomens on most spiders, however only the pattern on the back would make it obvious, but I haven't had the chance to draw it.

Some things have changed in an updated design I've been working out in my head, with one such example being pedipalp-like structures being added to the helmet.

However, despite these hints, he himself is less themed after arachnids, and is more-so themed after musical conductors. The binding thread is that arachnids in general are very sensitive to touch and vibration, and it would be suggested that his minions follow his command based upon sound. His minions are the ones more themed after arachnids, however I have yet to complete the drawings for them, and also have yet to fix the Prowler's design.

I'm more a game-designer than a visual designer, so I'm better at coming up with a set of powers more-so than I am at using a theme. The arachnid theme was the last thought I had on the concept before posting, and it seems to have worked out as many people very much enjoyed it.

You're not the first to talk of his lack of arachnidian appearance, so one of the designs I have planned is a sort of deluxe skin, which would be more explicit in the use of the theme. However, by default, his design would be this.

Actually that 'spinerrets on the feet' thing is still rather up for debate, most tarantulas only make webs for the place they bed down, not for active prey capture (if experience with Rose Hair/White Knee types are any indicator) And not all spiders are about vibration and sound, infact the Bold Jumper (Jumping Spider) has fantastic vision for hunting and tracking more than anything.  And if your making a conductor style, why slap in spider with that, spiders don't really make much sound on their own that I know of.

-snip-

Because his minions are his central mechanic, they are arachnid themed. The conductor style is what's tacked on, not the arachnid one. And just because not all are sensitive to vibration is irrelevant; when I think arachnid, one of my first associations to the concept is extreme sensitivity to vibration.

The theme isn't sound at all, just that I designed the Warframe to be a conductor and his minions are arachnidian based as I dislike super explicit themes like what most Spider-themed characters, or Warframes for that matter, attempt.

Not to get into debate here, but some Tarantula species are already confirmed to have spinnerets on their feet. What is up for debate is if all of them do, which I never claimed they did. However, I could be incorrect in saying most, but that's where I can draw the line. His name, however, is completely irrelevant.

Edited by Krion112

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking of coming back to finish all the sub-projects I need to do for Theraph, and I just wanted to check if anyone had any opinions on which things I should target first out of those sub-projects. These are:

-Updates to Theraph's Concept Art

-Art for Theraph's 'Recluse' Deluxe Skin

-Art for Theraph's Alternative Helmets (Vinegaroon, Solifugae, and Mygalo)

-Art for Theraph's Minions (Mite, Watcher, Collector, and Mutilator)

-Updates to the Prowler's Concept Art

-Augment mods for Theraph's Abilities (Atleast having 2 for Ensnare, 1 for Weave, 2 for Mutagen Strands, and 1 for Orb)

-Prime Codex Lore (optional)

-Quest Expansion (optional)

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the concept, and as always, feel free to leave feedback! Thanks for all the support thus far, I hope I can further attain interest in this idea, even if it is never applied to the game!

On 12/24/2015 at 9:47 PM, Q-Nel-974 said:

Look good

Greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late responses, haven't exactly had a lot of time to do much for a couple days now. Keeping busy with a variety of projects, trying to finish up some others so I can come back and finish Theraph.

On 3/21/2016 at 11:23 PM, Bhaltair said:

This frame looks pretty cool. o3o

Greatly appreciated!

On 3/21/2016 at 0:50 AM, mineycraftamijigger said:

-snip-

I may very well use that idea for arms to be displayed helping Theraph to wall latch. It would give some good, visual context as to the function of his passive ability.

As well, the Watcher minion does fly, and its form would resemble that of a spider slowly climbing down a silk thread. However, there are some changes in function I'm working on to help better establish a definitive role for Theraph 

On 3/21/2016 at 5:43 AM, AcidArmpit said:

Love your idea, however u cant make spider-themed without dead uncle in its lore :p

Thanks for the comment, but unfortunately if that's a reference it's been lost on me.

1 hour ago, CrashingBull said:

I love this warframe concept I will make this warframe and the prowler things on blender and post it back here I will also make  a 3d model of the gun and melee weapon he is holding

Go right ahead! I look forward to seeing it!

All your minion concept art looks rad; they look right at home on the battlefield. The general concept is nice too. I've only seen spiders used for a summoner in Terraria, so it's not unheard of but just rare enough to be feel fresh. +1

I think the deluxe skin is the least important thing to work on, but also probably the easiest thing to catch people's attention with.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Theraph's art looks fine, but if you feel like you need to update it I'd do that first so that you know what everything else is building off of. After that I'd work on minions and helmets, as they're most core to who Theraph is.

Regarding the additional arms for wall-latching, I think that's a great idea. His arms already look like they could accomplish this:

eRnEVRi.png

You could probably do something similar with his legs to make 8.

13 minutes ago, CrashingBull said:

Ok I have made a 3d model of theraph's helmet how do I post it here

Right above the "submit reply" button is a "Insert other media" one, click on that and then "Insert image from URL," assuming you already have it uploaded somewhere. 

These models are absolutely incredible! I have updated them to the OP, however, due to a mistake on my part, I've ruined all of my spoiler tags.

If there's an easy way to fix it now, let me know, otherwise I'll fix it my way later, when I get changing things again. Shouldn't be a huge problem, as you can still read and see everything, but I liked the organization my Spoiler Tags gave the project.