The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Chance Of A Back-Order Function For Void Trader?

DZ1JMeyer

What it says on the tin. Baro only shows up once every two weeks, for two days at a time (with a very small manifest, I might add); if you're unable to get on during that period for IRL reasons, you're presently stuck waiting for the next time he offers the same items (or, in the case of mods/weapons, attempting to trade for them—an unreliable option at best). At the same time, reducing the rate of new releases (in order to reduce the grind)—while appreciated—has resulted in players grumbling at Baro's offerings over the past few appearances as being unappealing. So reducing it further would not be the answer.

Honestly, the issue seems to be more innate to the "3-4 random items every two weeks" mechanic. Specifically, that the items on offer may not be seen again for months (The Mara Detron, for example, only appeared in Baro's first appearance).

I see two ways to address this:

1) Have Baro's manifest operate on a half-cycle, offering items from both his last appearance and new items. This would, of course, necessitate larger manifests.

For example, Baro's first three manifests:

Week 1: Primed Continuity, Primed Ravage, Prime Eos Chest Plate, Mara Detron (call this list "A")

Week 2: Primed Flow, Primed Point Blank,  Prime Eos Shoulder Plates L+R (list "B")

Week 3: Primed Fast Hands, Primed Heavy Trauma, Prime Eos Spurs L+R (list "C")

With this mechanic:

Week 1: A
Week 2: A + B
Week 3: B + C

2) Have a "special order"/"back order" function, whereby (during his relay appearances) single copies of previous items can be requested; either to be obtained on his next appearance (presumably at a premium), or to be delivered to the player's inbox the next time he offers those, regardless of if the player is in-game at the time (possibly also at a premium).

Thoughts?

I think the point of him only coming on a 2 week basis is to make it "limiting". Items return eventually at some point anyways, and that's basically the point of Baro.

The issue with this is it's too limiting.

We're limited to 4 items every 2 weeks. Thats a VERY small amount of things, and only 1 of them will take any time to actually make use of (primed mod), and theres no garuntee it'll even be good!

The Ui is made for somehting like 12 items, so why do we only get 4?

eks. Thats a VERY small amount of things, and only 1 of them will take any time to actually make use of (primed mod), and theres no garuntee it'll even be good!

The Ui is made for somehting like 12 items, so why do we only get 4?

For same reason equipment has space for like 6 rows, while we have just 2.

On every rotation, Baro brings one retired item (be it an event mod, as the last time or item he gave us earlier) and a bunch of new items.

I think the point of him only coming on a 2 week basis is to make it "limiting". Items return eventually at some point anyways, and that's basically the point of Baro.

Right, my objection (as stated above) is that the two-days-per-two-weeks model is particularly unforgiving towards players with IRL obligations that may get in the way. And because we don't know what he will have, the model (at present) is less rewarding to players whom do usually have access to Baro when he shows up, than it is punishing to those whom do not (i.e., because of the small manifest size, Baro will often have items that are only appealing to some people—and so, individual appearances are much more important to a given player than other appearances).

Remove the rotations and have him offer everything he has whenever he shows up. Seriously, what's the point of rotations? Is it even worth the numerous drawbacks?

On that basis then "what the point of any game mechanic?".

The point is "it was a design decision". He was specifically made like that. Just because you don't agree does not mean it should change simply because it "inconveniences" you.

This is all this ever boils down to : "I must have it now so FIX IT". No, actually, not having a mod does not break the game, it does not make the game worse, it does not stop you from doing anything. Everything we could do BEFORE the trader we can still do now. DE did not screw up peoples game, they just added more bits.

The point is "it was a design decision". He was specifically made like that. Just because you don't agree does not mean it should change simply because it "inconveniences" you.

That's akin to saying "just because".

Good design decisions have logic behind them and they tend to go for the best route out of many options.