Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Speculation

hedgehodge

someone probably already spotted this or made a thread about this

But... take a look at Ember Prime's codex entry

'Not exactly.' Kaleen hesitated. 'We thought it was empty but we began to find...' Her face twitched at remembered pain, 'We began to find children hiding in the ship.'

'And that is when you violated procedure?'

Kaleen bowed her head, a tear welling in her sightless eye. 'They were children. They were afraid. They needed comfort.'

'So you broke quarantine and this happened to you.'

There was silence as Kaleen touched her face, 'So what have you done with them?'

The old woman gestured for the officer to take Kaleen away. The meeting was over. When Kaleen reached the door she twisted out of his grip and shot back, 'Why would you do that? Why did you put children on military ship?'

And the Excalibur Prime codex entry 

We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend. Excalibur was the first.

I'm not completely sure what this means but it seems to imply that most of the Tenno were (at first anyway) literal child soldiers used by the Orokin against the Ancients

Of course though, the Rhino Prime Codex entry suggests the Tenno are something else, completely- and the narrator in it refers to them as "monsters".

A gate opens inside me and recognition floods in. I have seen this monster before. I have cut its shell and eviscerated its brothers. I have given it pain and measured its response. I have crafted then rejected countless like it.

But I've never seen this beast so close, without the shield, without restraints. I have never seen it... free. 
I know I will die so I just watch with curious acceptance. The beast squats down, shovelling a heap of gore into its mouth. It is watching me with vague eyes, a sense of recognition, ancestral memory. It knows who I am and what I've done. It rears up like a bear and roars, shattering the lights and casting us into darkness. I can hear it lumbering toward me, its metal fingers rending the walls, but I know I am dead. I close my eyes and stand ready to pay. 

I feel the pull on my arm and realize Davis got the cell open. He tugs me into the cell beyond and I fall on my back. I see Davis standing at the open door, waiting, as the monster tears towards us. 
Suddenly I could live through this I shout, "Davis, close the goddamn door!" - But he shakes his head eyes wide as moons. He shouts, "Watch!" over the roaring and rending of metal. 

Then silence. Davis is panting, laughing? The beast fills the doorway, inches from him, dripping in blood, but still without violence. It stands there, looking at its hands. Davis whispers, "No one would have believed me." 
I crawl up the wall to stand, opposite the door. I've never seen this cell, a cold place with an array of shelves. A morgue? "Where are we, Davis?" 
"This is where they keep them. The ones from Zariman." I'm thrown, what was the Zariman? The ship that never returned? "Davis, what's going on?" 
Davis turns to me, a smile forming - "What's going on is..." he turns back to the beast now silent and calm. 

"...big, fat promotions."

But that doesn't mean they were ALWAYS "monsters", remember that they were "twisted by the void" and that the Orokin "built a frame around them".

at this point I was going to draw a parallel between the Kaleen person alluded to in the Ember Prime codex entry and the Lotus because you can't see most of Lotus' face (so you can't see the eyes or burnt skin that hasn't healed), because they both talk in a sort of emotionless voice, but I realized that that might not make much sense

Either way, the Tenno being kids when they first got their powers and frame S#&$ kind of explains a few things about the types of Warframes that exist and their powers.

I mean, we have a rainbow dragon thing (Chroma), a magician (Limbo), some kind of thing an emo kid would draw (Nekros), a magical girl (Mirage), a pirate (Hydroid), and...

yeah no I can't unsee the "original" users of these frames as having been kids

Excalibur was probably some English kid the other original frame-users called Eggsy as a joke. I'm sorry I was watching Kingsman: the secret service recently and couldn't get this out of my head

Davis knew about the Zariman, the protagonist of the Rhino Prime Codex (RPC) did not, yet he was the one making the monster. I think you have made the mistake of assuming the Zariman children were made into monsters when the RPC is quite clear that they are two separate entities.

1. The children in storage that Davis knows about, but the protagonist does not

2. The (possibly Technocyte) monsters that the protagonist is creating and investigating.

IMHO a more logical reading of the RPC is that this is the first time that it was discovered that the void powers of the Zariman children (who may have become Tenno or may have resulted in the Tenno) could calm/control Technocyte monsters, eventually leading to those monsters becoming systems in Warframes.

tl;dr "The Beast" in that story is most likely something that becomes the Rhino Warframe, not a Tenno, nor a Zariman child.

tl;dr "The Beast" in that story is most likely something that becomes the Rhino Warframe, not a Tenno, nor a Zariman child.

Yup

3477abo.jpg

In Dark Sector there is also talk of ways of controlling the infected. Admittedly Dark Sector isn't canon but you can't ignore it.

@DeMonkey and @SilentMobius

well thanks for clearing up that the monster alluded to in the RPC is prolly not related to the Zariman kids in any way

it also looks like pretty much everyone beat me to the punch on Kaleen possibly being Lotus

I was sort of just making this thread because I wanted to go "oh, haha, so that's why Warframes and their users are so colorful and shiny and varied- they were probably children or something when they got their frame stuff"

plus I keep having this mental image of like a group of void-ridden kids who would grow up to be the original Warframe users or something

tl;dr: the Warframes are all kids' deviantART OCs or something in-universe made real by Orokin tech.

addendum: also the Kubrow are 1 or 2 steps away from being sparkledogs

Edited by hedgehodge