Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Getting Real Sick Of Having To Sell Weapons To Make Room For New Ones

AgentNipple

as for me, i am disabled and live on a small disability check once a month. after rent, paying the bills, putting gas in the truck, etc. i have no money to spend on plat most of the time. if i want to buy plat, i have to roam the roadside and pick up aluminum cans to sell just to get 5 or ten bucks worth, which since i am disabled, is very hard for me to do.

That is a hard state of affairs, friend, but I must ask you, would you have been able to pay $50 to buy Warframe if it were not free to play?  Because that's the flip side of this whole argument. 

free 2 play means you can play for free. This doesnt mean you get everything for not paying.

I dont see why slots should be free. They cost DE money in storage. Why should you not have to pay for something that costs the company money....

I could see this sort of response after the game went live, but this is beta still...isn't it? Open beta. Closed beta. A beta is a beta, and is meant to test.

Using 'live game' techniques to close off parts of the beta 'testing' unless you shell out money...isn't so much a beta as it is a pre-release, imo.

If you want people to test, let them test. Don't lock things and say, "Give me money, you cheap bastard, if you want to test this part of the beta." That's not how it works, and frankly, having a negative attitude towards people who make light of that, is rather rude...especially considered it's JUST A BETA.

That said, stop being a cheap bastard. :P

That is a hard state of affairs, friend, but I must ask you, would you have been able to pay $50 to buy Warframe if it were not free to play?  Because that's the flip side of this whole argument. 

no...i wouldn't of been able to play it if i had to pay $50 for it.

I could see this sort of response after the game went live, but this is beta still...isn't it? Open beta. Closed beta. A beta is a beta, and is meant to test.

Using 'live game' techniques to close off parts of the beta 'testing' unless you shell out money...isn't so much a beta as it is a pre-release, imo.

If you want people to test, let them test. Don't lock things and say, "Give me money, you cheap bastard, if you want to test this part of the beta." That's not how it works, and frankly, having a negative attitude towards people who make light of that, is rather rude...especially considered it's JUST A BETA.

That said, stop being a cheap bastard. :P

Open beta is supposed to be mostly for stress testing, nowadays companies are actually charging cash for stuff already in beta so it's largely semantics and not really a good excuse for poor implementation of anything, especially in the case of long standing systems like the slot system.

no...i wouldn't of been able to play it if i had to pay $50 for it.

Well, then I'd say you've benefited greatly from the current cash model! :D  But I do understand your desire.  I'm hoping they'll start offering inventory slots as a reward for ranking your account. Maybe one or two for every third ranking or something, just to give folks some amount of free inventory progression.

So a little math using the 20 dollars for 370 base founder pack its approximately .054 cents per plat. And currently you need 564 plat to unlock a slot for every warframe including the new one and frost prime, and every known weapon including the throwing stars mentioned in live stream #5

So that is a total of 30.49 dollars to unlock slots for everything Now i have played around 150 hours Entertainment from this game is costing me 20 cents an hour and dropping fast the more i play. I tend to base my entertainment costs on the typical cost of a movie so a 2 and half hour movie costs around 13 bucks so its costing me around 5.20 an hour.  I think we are making out like bandits.

Title says all, same with Warframes

QQ

"Free to play" isn't real, it should be called free infinite trial and if you like the game show some love and cough up some cash. Extra slots are not that expensive. At the very least they are way cheaper then paying $60 dollars for a new game and then having to pay a subscription fee to keep up the servers.

Open beta is supposed to be mostly for stress testing, nowadays companies are actually charging cash for stuff already in beta so it's largely semantics and not really a good excuse for poor implementation of anything, especially in the case of long standing systems like the slot system.

Then perhaps since they are changing the rules of what a beta is, they should change the name. 'Pre-Release Stress Test' (or PRST) sounds good.

QQ

"Free to play" isn't real, it should be called free infinite trial and if you like the game show some love and cough up some cash. Extra slots are not that expensive. At the very least they are way cheaper then paying $60 dollars for a new game and then having to pay a subscription fee to keep up the servers.

I can buy any number of solid games for $60 or less that don't nickel and dime me every time I want to get a new weapon :|

I can buy any number of solid games for $60 or less that don't nickel and dime me every time I want to get a new weapon :|

Or instead of paying 30$ to get every slot so that you are allowed to grind you could pay 10$ on TF2 and play as much as you like, getting all the weapons that you need quite fast. Or pay nothing for Dota 2 and get every hero that you need. Or get another MP game on sale for 5$ and get every weapon you need.

My point is that WF is making you pay too much for stuff that you need to advance (potatoes and slots, which should have a way of being acquirable for free) and too much for stuff that you don't need or are not worth the price (warframes like Rhino, weapons like Gorgon).

I'd have no problem with warframes costing 500.000 or more to craft and Gorgon or Latron costing 200.000 each if there are no slots and having warframes and weapons plat cost reduced in order to let players play for convenience(not grinding).

That's very true and I'm not disagreeing with you. I am not saying I like the "free to play" theory of doing business. All I am trying to say is know what "free to play" is and what it means. The first time this came out I could see some disappointment being justified. By now as a gaming community I think we should all have learned what free to play actually means. And in that contex its not entirely unreasonable keeping in mind that these game titles are not just made by some dude in his mom's basement. It takes a lot of money to make a game like this. Where else in the world do people give away the fruits of thousands of man hours worth of work and the use of a gaming quality server for free? I do believe that just a little bit of gratitude is called for, especially because I could try out this whole game for free before paying anything if I wanted to. It's better then paying for a title and then discovering when you get home that the game sucks and you just wasted your moneys. At least this way when you drop some cash you know you like the game and you know exactly what you're getting.

That's very true and I'm not disagreeing with you. I am not saying I like the "free to play" theory of doing business. All I am trying to say is know what "free to play" is and what it means. The first time this came out I could see some disappointment being justified. By now as a gaming community I think we should all have learned what free to play actually means. And in that contex its not entirely unreasonable keeping in mind that these game titles are not just made by some dude in his mom's basement. It takes a lot of money to make a game like this. Where else in the world do people give away the fruits of thousands of man hours worth of work and the use of a gaming quality server for free? I do believe that just a little bit of gratitude is called for, especially because I could try out this whole game for free before paying anything if I wanted to. It's better then paying for a title and then discovering when you get home that the game sucks and you just wasted your moneys. At least this way when you drop some cash you know you like the game and you know exactly what you're getting.

There are plenty of other things they can monetize. The current slot system means that people that want to keep their weapons will have to pay for slots every time they get a new weapon for the entirety of the game's life. That's ridiculous.

Edited by Aggh

My point is that WF is making you pay too much for stuff that you need to advance (potatoes and slots, which should have a way of being acquirable for free) and too much for stuff that you don't need or are not worth the price (warframes like Rhino, weapons like Gorgon).

Those Catalyst/Reactors are available in-game through various outlets. The market simply allows you to acquire one as needed, instead of waiting for everyones favorite RNG.

And the Gorgon is fully worth the price. Like most weapons, it's a little 'bad' when you first get it, but it's one of my favorite guns now. Nothing like popping my Snow Globe, then laying waste to everything that wants to make a run at me. Also it makes Boss fights go by a bit quicker. Also, if you burst fire it, after you already did the 'wind up' like most chainguns have, it'd stay at the wound up speed while you shoot. You gotta be quick tho. If you stall too long, it'll wind back down. Not worth the price? lolol..I'm running out of things to spend credits on, and I've been playing less than a week. :P

I agree...the system is stupid.

It's just that.........every other game out there doesn't restrict item possession like Warframe does. 

Trying to defend this system is just fanboy behavior. 

Those Catalyst/Reactors are available in-game through various outlets. The market simply allows you to acquire one as needed, instead of waiting for everyones favorite RNG.

And the Gorgon is fully worth the price. Like most weapons, it's a little 'bad' when you first get it, but it's one of my favorite guns now. Nothing like popping my Snow Globe, then laying waste to everything that wants to make a run at me. Also it makes Boss fights go by a bit quicker. Also, if you burst fire it, after you already did the 'wind up' like most chainguns have, it'd stay at the wound up speed while you shoot. You gotta be quick tho. If you stall too long, it'll wind back down. Not worth the price? lolol..I'm running out of things to spend credits on, and I've been playing less than a week. :P

I'm not saying that it's not worth 50.000 creds, i'm saying that it's not worth 225 platinum! with that you can get 20 WF slots and you can get 50.000 credits in an hour or less.

And orokins are available thorugh RNG, but i think that it would be better if they were available through market, 200.000 a BP. I mean they are common anyway if you have time, but this way people who don't have time can either farm for it or pay a small sum for it. In comparison a Gorgon should be 5 platinum...

Edited by Story4

Lol, you're talking as though none of us has had gorgon maxed leveled with good mods on it for ages.  It's completely outclassed by the hek, akboltos and piles of other weapons.

Edited by Aggh

I'm not saying that it's not worth 50.000 creds, i'm saying that it's not worth 225 platinum!

I see. I misunderstood, my apologies. :)

Lol, you're talking as though none of us has had gorgon maxed leveled with good mods on it for ages.  It's completely outclassed by the hek, akboltos and piles of other weapons.

I am currently unable to get a hek, due to xp requirements. I've only being playing for a week now. :(

I was speaking more for those who haven't got it, or haven't used it much, than those who already had a rank 30. I assumed that part was a given, not like I was trying to pick a fight with someone who is so skilled in the art of war like yourself, Aggh. ;)

I agree...the system is stupid.

It's just that.........every other game out there doesn't restrict item possession like Warframe does. 

Trying to defend this system is just fanboy behavior. 

Well but most of those other games have to be bought in the first place as well. Its easy to say: other games dont restrict me like this. Yeah. Other games have huge companies in their back to make investments or make full retail games possible. Its not about trying to defend. Its about understanding that not every game can afford so much freedom. But well. My post will most likely be called fanboyism :D

Edited by Venarge

Idea:
Since you cant make people who don't want to spend money (or who just don't have the option, because there are people who just can't) spend it.So make waframe and weapon slots blueprints alert reward thus eliminating thing like "Ohh hell I want to play Frost cuz it looks cool but i have to sell my Ash for the slot'' and imagen don't like Frost as you liked Ash and you want Ash again you'll have to craft it again and its even worse if you had orokin and level's in that Ash or whichever warframe you have ''swapped''.But let them use big amount resources even more than a warframe itself so its not so easy to craft and not to lead people to stop spending platinum on the slots.So what I'm suggesting adding rare to find and hard to build slots so the never changing f2p players and giving them the opportunity to enjoy not only the awesome gameplay, but this part of the game to the fullest as well.

I don't like paying for weapon slots, but I understand DE's necessity to make money. There is probably hundreds of thousands of dollars they put into developing this game. If they can't break even through platinum purchases the business side of DE will see a failed game, even if the game is one of the best designed games of all time.

When you buy a weapon or frame fully built you get the slot for free. You don't need to buy that in addition to the item. When you want to keep a large collection, it will cost you a little (depending on how much you built from blueprints or bought with credits). You aren't paying for the 'storage space' as mentioned above. You are paying for the "fluff" in the game. The ability to rapidly change what you have available.

Think of it this way. You don't have to spend a dime to experience EVERYTHING in the game. You do have to spend some money to experience it at a higher level. I shouldn't even be a big deal. Most games you invest a few bucks in to just buy the game. I look at the platinum as me buying the game.

Here are the major rebuttals I see about this normally:

1. They need money.

Yeah, and people give them money through like what? 99% of the other stuff in the game HELLO!? How many people bought founders packs? How many people buy cosmetic items and how many people seriously just skip the whole farming process and outright buy the item? Tons of people, I've even done it.

2. It doesn't restrict gameplay

Uhh... how the hell doesn't it? When the goal of the game is to level up your items and modify them with catalysts and reactors that are either a chance drop through log on or alert missions (Which are also broken). Then after that if you are still farming and going F2P you have to wait for that to finish on top of that. Then forcing you to sell away all that hard earned work and time dedicated to that is just flat out stupid. Do not restrict progress on a game to paying, people will shy away and play other games, I have other games that are also in beta that allow you to use earned money to buy things so don't give me that excuse.

3. Just sell something

See #2

The Developers have plenty of other avenues to make money, I've even suggested having us EARN slots as well through buying them with credits but no the fanboys wont have that.