Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Certain Chat Filter

Eclipse2020

So, today I realised that the word 'gay' got two people kicked from Region Chat. Probably more since I was only paying half attention. DE, do you realize the potential backlash from the LGBT community if this starts to get noticed more? Its a filter that shouldn't even be in this game. It kinda paints it out that gay is a bad thing and certain members of the community (SJWs mostly) will twist that in order to start a hate campaign and a boycott?

It's a banned word because 9 times out of 10 people use it as an insult. They haven't banned any socially acceptable terms, just ones that are commonly used in a derogatory manner.

Nice concern trolling though.

Edited by Gelkor

It's a banned word because 9 times out of 10 people use it as an insult.

Nice concern trolling though.

Concern trolling? 

I'm being serious. Just because 9 times outta 10, which is exaggerated, its used as an insult doesn't mean it should instantly kick you from the region chat. The game is 18+ for Gods sake. DE shouldn't be accountable for the players under that age. 

So, today I realised that the word 'gay' got two people kicked from Region Chat. Probably more since I was only paying half attention. DE, do you realize the potential backlash from the LGBT community if this starts to get noticed more? Its a filter that shouldn't even be in this game. It kinda paints it out that gay is a bad thing and certain members of the community (SJWs mostly) will twist that in order to start a hate campaign and a boycott?

The problem is that the word gay is used most of the time as a childish insult, rather than a descriptive word in chat.

So while a legitimately gay person might not be able to say that they're gay without it being filtered .... I just don't see why people discussing or proclaiming their sexuality, whether straight, gay, or anything in between, is relevant or appropriate in game. Basically there's no real reason to discuss sexuality in public chat channels so there isn't really a reason it needs to not be filtered.

Might I also note that the chat filter is optional?

The problem is that the word gay is used most of the time as a childish insult, rather than a descriptive word in chat.

So while a legitimately gay person might not be able to say that they're gay without it being filtered .... I just don't see why people discussing or proclaiming their sexuality, whether straight, gay, or anything in between, is relevant or appropriate in game. Basically there's no real reason to discuss sexuality in public chat channels so there isn't really a reason it needs to not be filtered.

Might I also note that the chat filter is optional?

The chat filter is optional. Being kicked from region chat isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you Eclipse2020. :)

Topics for regional chat should be up to the people on chat to negotiate, not the system, or players on this forum. Justifying the feature in this manner is more concerning not less. Also, without being more extensive, this is clearly a biased treatment of an attempt to control the topic. Also, Regional Chat shows whatever the player said before they are kicked so the speech is not prevented and that makes the feature less concerning from a censorship perspective, but fairly ineffective as topic control.

There is a concerted campaign following the "It gets better" and anti-bullying campaign to address negative use of the word "gay". Using "gay" to mean "bad" or "undesirable" is offensive to many people including gay people , their family , friends, and fans.
The kick feature seems related to this. It was an easy thing to throw into the game as an attempt to help foster an inclusive community of players and respond to this concern.
Unfortunately it falls short addressing the issue. The kick feature is offensive because it penalizes and stigmatizes any use of "gay", and presumes it's negative use. Also, no messages explain the issue. This comes across as an effort to seem to respond to a concern while avoiding any discussion with gamers about the issue.

Is desirable for systems rather than people to change speech? Should systems such as this do so in a controlling way? or simply be suggestive? What about this?
Cephalon Congeniality: Tenno, using "gay" in a derogatory way, or to generally mean bad, undesirable, or weak is RUDE, and a TOS violation.

Much better!

Edited by Mokure

Without the presence of active chat moderation, words that are often abused, such as gay, are blanket botted against.

In terms of kick words as a whole, I have seen a recent decrease in strictness. If this is a continuing prohect, we have yet to see.

I hope you're right about the strictness, I've been kicked more in the last couple months than I have in the last two years.

Last time it was for mentioning I got a random void invite, apparently "void invite" is a kick trigger regardless of context. I'm really starting to feel like region is not a safe place to discuss warframe.

If people didn't use the word gay as an insult, maybe this filter would be unnecessary. But the playerbase isn't made out of people like you, or me, or others who doesn't insults people that way, thus DE has to be strict. I am positive DE doesn't frowns upon homosexuality, and they would take out the filter if they could.

It's a word that is typically used as a derogatory term or a slur and can be used to hurl abuse at specific people.

That sort of thing is not tolerated here, so it has been ruled a kickable offense.

It does limit what you can say, especially when other words are not autokick ones (though we do have the chat filter for that) but regardless DE feel it is better to just avoid that sort of thing altogether. 

Also it gets ragers kicked pretty handily