Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Atomos Sounds Pathetic

NocturneOfSolace

Don't be mean to De_George!

I'll be mean all I want if someone releases a sub par effort, if your cook at a 5-star restaurant gave you a two star job on your steak, you'd be having words with him too.

How much fun a weapon is, isn't just it's mechanics, or how dangerous it is, it's also how it feels to use, how it looks and sounds are just as important, and right now the Atomos already looks weird as all hell, so adding in a lame sound effect is even worse

If the sound is your beef with this weapon, you obviously haven't enjoyed the weapon to it's fullest. Takes on lvl 15 Grineer at rank 2 with ease.

Besides, how do you know what plasma sounds like?

Do you? If not then what's the point of asking? If I was to imagine, since plasma is basically a super hot substance, akin to energized fire, I would imagine it sounds something like that

And it's like you just ignored what I said

How a weapon feels isn't just about how effective it is against enemies

If the sound is your beef with this weapon, you obviously haven't enjoyed the weapon to it's fullest. Takes on lvl 15 Grineer at rank 2 with ease.

Compare the Nukor's firing sound to the Atomos'. When you fire the Nukor, it makes a hollow, metallic sound, as if some kind of gas is being released from a narrow space, or as if some grimy metal machinery is beginning to move. Then it makes these wowowowowowowowow sound effects with bits of crackly noise that feel hot. They also oscillate in pitch, fitting the Nukor's 1950s raygun beam. And then when the target explodes on kill, they make a weird metallic clanging sound, as if you needed some kind of confirmation that their life has been terminated and that their head is now twice its normal size.

Overall, the Nukor is a very fun weapon to use because of its audio aesthetics (is that a category now?).

Now listen to the Atomos. It's a wet pffffffffft, like a wet fart but without the stink. It just feels very soft to use, especially for something that's supposed to fry its targets to a crisp.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

Sound is the beef with feeling good about firing it. Numbers alone don't make a gun, ability or character good. It's the gameplay and its feedback to the player.

Besides, how do you know OP is a he?

Edited by catastrophy

• 3 weeks later...

its probably hard to find something to record that sounds as awesome as you want the atomos to sound. if they find it, im sure they will use it. i would consider an idle welding torch? probably tig so you dont get metal everywhere but thats a lot of hands in close quarters...

Plasma casters don't exist, so there's no real way for DE to replicate the sound of one, and using a generic plasma cutter sound would be just wrong. Plasma cutters have no real sound, just the sound of the compressed air going through them.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen