Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Get Codex Info Through Kills And Other Means.

KingTaro

This might have been suggested already, but I'd like to be able to fill the codex information through kills and not just by using the scanner or having to limit myself to a specific sentinel.

Since we have all the info available on the wiki, it should have been made more convenient for people to access it, not the other way around, if you ask me.

Off course you'd need more kills than scans to complete a codex entry. For instance, it could be 10x the scans required. Meaning you either complete the codex of a unit with 20 scans or 200 kills. Or you kill 140 enemies and decide to complete the rest using the scanner, etc...

It also makes sense that we can find out more about the enemy through battle. We gain battle experience.

As I barely see people going around scanning things or using Helios for the job, I'd say that scanning is not something one would call a "fun" activity. And putting the information (that should have been ingame by default) behind a "chore" is not the right way to do it, in my opinion.

It could be in another form as well. Let's say that each time you hack a Corpus or Grineer console, you gain "scans" towards a random corpus/grineer unit. Or by completing a Spy mission, etc... 

TL;DR: Have several passive ways to fill the codex and have the scanner option for those who want to do the job quicker.

scanning changes up gameplay in a rather decent way IMO, you do not need to do it constantly, something to work at. Not a lot of people use Helios and his "1 shot to level 70 enemy" weapon cause carrier is a clutch that people cannot kick. Liiike QT and rage :p

Codex has barely any impact on the gameplay, and all the data is present on the wiki. Finishing codex is a goal for completionist, and rewards for doing so are pretty much nonexistent.

It has no impact, because it failed to do what it was meant to do.

A game should always present the necessary (basic) info in the game itself.

When it's a lot easier to use the 3rd party tools to access that info, it means the game failed to do the job.

The idea behind the codex is not to give complitionists something to strife for, but to have a reliable source of information without the need to check the wiki for every small thing.

No. Knowledge must be earned the hard way.

You want info? You want integrity? Work for it.

There is a difference between "the hard way" and "the boring way".

No. Knowledge must be earned the hard way.

You want info? You want integrity? Work for it.

Stopping to scan something breaks the fast-paced flow of gameplay, and drives players away from groups into solo play.

It would work in a game with a slower pace, not this one.