2 screens

Secondary:

i5 3570 3.4GHz

GTX 660 Ti

16 gigs ram

forgot motherboard

1 screen

WF Settings:

under display everything is on and on high, 1920x1080 resolution, and fulscreen or borderless fulscreen.

Issue:

When playing solo or in a group my fps will drop from a smooth 60 to sometimes low 30ies. The wierd thing about this is that it's completely random too, i can have 20 dudes explode from Mprime whith vauban bastilles all over the place and have 60 fps but sometimes there are almost 0 dudes on the map and i drop almost 25 fps. I tried multiple things as well: 

40ish dudes on screen and a lot of ammo packs and energy/health orbs lying around gives me a 15fps drop on average.

Squad spread out across the map in a 0 enemies left ext gives me smooth 60 fps and then sometimes drops to 40-50 fps out of nowhere for 15 seconds or more.

Squad spread out across the map in an endless mission with some dudes here and there gives me 50 fps dropping into high 30ies randomly for 15 seconds or more.

Turning of my 2nd screen gains me 5 fps on average, changing from borderless fulscreen to fullscreen gains me 5 fps on average. These 2 do not stack to give me 10 fps extra.

Being a host or client doesn't seem to make any difference.

The strangest thing about this all is that most of the time someone is using my secondary pc as well in the same game i'm in and he can literally stand next to me and have 0 issues at all while my main pc drops 15+ fps.

i think it's the game not being optimized

there are always tweaks to be made after large changes to the programming - but Warframe is also stuck behind the issue that is Renderer API's for the time being.

a super CPU bound game, that can't... use CPU's well due to physical lack of that capability.

all other games are in the same boat, unfortunately. in a few years this should completely disappear, and it'll be back to entirely Developer fault if CPU side performance is cruddy.

Both of those gpus will push much higher than 60fps, which tells me you have vsync on.

Turn off v sync in 2 places

1. nvidia display options

2. in game options

And see if you still experience those fps drops.

I don't like the way the game looks without vsync but with vsync off the 770 gets 200 fps in the liset and anywhere between 70-120 fps in a game then it drops like usuall on the randomest things. The thing i don't get is that the 660 doesn't have these issues unless i'm in a raid and there are like 30+ bastilles spammed on my screen it'll pump out a steady 60 fps with the occasional 3 fps drop which is barely noticable.

i have 2 evga gtx 970 FTW's in SLI and depending on what part of the game i'm in, i get anywhere from over 500 fps to less than 30 fps...so i don't think it's hardware related...i think it's the game not being optimized

I wonder how you "optimize" a game to let it drop 20+ fps when there is barely anything happening.

there are always tweaks to be made after large changes to the programming - but Warframe is also stuck behind the issue that is Renderer API's for the time being.

a super CPU bound game, that can't... use CPU's well due to physical lack of that capability.

all other games are in the same boat, unfortunately. in a few years this should completely disappear, and it'll be back to entirely Developer fault if CPU side performance is cruddy.

How does the cpu thing work though? i've cheked the rescource monitor and WF hardly ever uses more than 30% on my i7 while it sometimes uses nearly 60%+ on the i5.

How does the cpu thing work though?

the Task Manager and other readouts is basically useless unfortunately.

they lie to you because Windows does Load Balancing. Warframe uses 2 Threads. a tiny bit of small stuff parallel to that, but basically 2 Threads.

so the immense CPU Thread loads that Warframe is putting on Processors, Windows is Load Balancing it between the available Processor Threads.

I would check out this thread and make sure none of your cores are parked.

Your i5 system may not be parking any cores, but your i7 may be. It could also be related to hyper-threading. Could be worth trying to disable it in your BIOS and trying again (Some games can perform worse with HT). 

Edited by Snougar

I would check out this thread and make sure none of your cores are parked.

Your i5 system may not be parking any cores, but your i7 may be. It could also be related to hyper-threading. Could be worth trying to disable it in your BIOS and trying again (Some games can perform worse with HT). 

The i5 indeed has no parked cores while the i7 parks 4/8 cores. The thing is though that it automatically unparks cores as it needs them (even before the 4 unparked ones reach max load) and it still has problems. It also never unparks all of them (only time i've seen that was when my anti virus decided it was gonna use 99% of my cpu due to a bug). I tried to check some other thing to diable( dome people said reverb caused lag) do i tried the tower exterminate bug which forces a lot of dudes in the last area's and WF never even reached higher than 30% load.  

A new thing i also noticed was that when my fps drops to below 30 it seems to vsync(?) me to 30fps for like 5 secs..

The i5 indeed has no parked cores while the i7 parks 4/8 cores. The thing is though that it automatically unparks cores as it needs them (even before the 4 unparked ones reach max load) and it still has problems. It also never unparks all of them (only time i've seen that was when my anti virus decided it was gonna use 99% of my cpu due to a bug). I tried to check some other thing to diable( dome people said reverb caused lag) do i tried the tower exterminate bug which forces a lot of dudes in the last area's and WF never even reached higher than 30% load.  

A new thing i also noticed was that when my fps drops to below 30 it seems to vsync(?) me to 30fps for like 5 secs..

I would still unpark all your cores. I've had i7's parking cores that had issues with the Unreal SDK in the past. It probably doesn't help that Warframe isn't using utilizing it enough to unpark them, which could lead to issues.

Another thing to try is to download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and do a fresh install of your video drivers.

How are you temps when playing? Could also be throttling. 

I would still unpark all your cores. I've had i7's parking cores that had issues with the Unreal SDK in the past. It probably doesn't help that Warframe isn't using utilizing it enough to unpark them, which could lead to issues.

Another thing to try is to download Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and do a fresh install of your video drivers.

How are you temps when playing? Could also be throttling. 

To be fair i haven't checked  the temps yet but WF seems to not produce as much heat as when i played planetside. Note: i played planetside on a broken videocard so the high temps might have been from that.