Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A New Form Of Mobile Gaming & If Square Enix Designed Thor.

TheErebus.

So first off, here's an image of how Thor would like if Square Enix designed him: 

2870988-thor8.jpg

Hair is a bit meh.

Now let's get on to the more interesting news...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/soon-there-will-be-view-to-play-games/1100-6427540/

So a dev team called "Futureplay games" have stated that the future of mobile gaming is with View-to-play games. What are those you may ask?
Well instead of microtransactions, you have to watch advertisements!

Here's what the founder had to say: 

"Futureplay founder Jami Laes, the former executive vice president at Angry Birds developer Rovio, said "view-to-play" has the potential to revolutionize the mobile market. “It's faster, cheaper, and more fun to watch an ad than pay for an in-app purchase," Laes said in a statement."

So yes.

"We believe in F2P and ads--both done right can be great, you will see," the company said. "We want to develop fast and have fun launching multiple games per year and not work multiple years per game."

Did I also mention that some of the members are from EA? 

Now let's get on to the more interesting news...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/soon-there-will-be-view-to-play-games/1100-6427540/

So a dev team called "Futureplay games" have stated that the future of mobile gaming is with View-to-play games. What are those you may ask?

Well instead of microtransactions, you have to watch advertisements!

Here's what the founder had to say: 

"Futureplay founder Jami Laes, the former executive vice president at Angry Birds developer Rovio, said "view-to-play" has the potential to revolutionize the mobile market. “It's faster, cheaper, and more fun to watch an ad than pay for an in-app purchase," Laes said in a statement."

So yes.

"We believe in F2P and ads--both done right can be great, you will see," the company said. "We want to develop fast and have fun launching multiple games per year and not work multiple years per game."

Advertisements on TV are already out of control. I don't like this. I don't like my time and bandwidth/data limit being wasted on video advertisements.

Between In-App Purchases (IAP) and view-to-play, I guess view-to-play is sort of the lesser of two evils. But nothing says they can't just design their games to abuse both systems. IAP AND make you watch ads, or pay to remove ads. I mean, Angry Birds Star Wars II already does this, it wouldn't surprise me if more did.

Why can't we just have free demos to try a game then pay for the full game if we enjoy it, or start with ads and have a reasonably low price to permanently remove all ads?

Why is the future of games suddenly the same thing that ruins TV for me?

Did I also mention that some of the members are from EA? 

THAT'S NOT HELPING.

Edited by Centias

I'd rather pay TBH.

I really know nothing about economics but I can't help but ASSume advertising will be the next "bubble" to burst or market to crash. A million gamers running a phone app to skip ads in their games in various ways, and playing for free is going to be profitable? Coke and Pepsi pay a billion dollars for some pop star to diabetes flapping about (muted) between me and the cheerleaders during the superbowl. Do you really think that adds a billion dollars to their profit?